Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mature Student Grant 2011/12

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭lesserspottedchloe

Just giving an update on my own grant situation as a mature student in 3rd year rolleyes.gif..... I recieved a letter yesterday informing me that I have been approved for the full non-adjacent, mature grant rate and top-up even though I live within walking distance of the college...how is this possible? Has anybody else been approved the full rate in these circumstances?

This is a massive relief for me as the hunt for suitable part-time work is still ongoing.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Babyblessed

drominagh wrote: »
    Hi all
    I am one of a group of students campaigning to have the mature student grants cuts reversed.
    The issue of mature student grant cuts will be discussed tomorrow, 7th October 2011, on Joe Duffy RTE1, tomorrow, Friday, 1.45pm to 3pm. If you or anyone you know is affected by this issue, please contact the programme.
    The more voices heard, the better our chances of influencing change.
    Contact Joe: 1850 715 815
    from Northern Ireland 08457 853 333
    E-mail joe@rte.ie
    Text 51551 during the programme.

Have sent and email!

laylah wrote: »
    Just giving an update on my own grant situation as a mature student in 3rd year rolleyes.gif..... I recieved a letter yesterday informing me that I have been approved for the full non-adjacent, mature grant rate and top-up even though I live within walking distance of the college...how is this possible? Has anybody else been approved the full rate in these circumstances?

This is a massive relief for me as the hunt for suitable part-time work is still ongoing.

I got an email for my grant today and it was the adjacent rate €416 this semester...........it was €1200 this time last year.

The full non-adjacent mature student rate is about €1200 per annum the top up (based on your income) means your yearly (total) payment will be around €2455........

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭lesserspottedchloe

I got an email for my grant today and it was the adjacent rate €416 this semester...........it was €1200 this time last year.

The full non-adjacent mature student rate is about €1200 per annum the top up (based on your income) means your yearly (total) payment will be around €2455........

No its not. The full non adjacent with top up was approx 6400 last year and its dropped to 6100 this year-three payments of Euro 2033

Thats what is written on my form and what im approved for...

No its not. The full non adjacent with top up was approx 6400 last year and its dropped to 6100 this year-three payments of Euro 2033

Thats what is written on my form and what im approved for...

Apologies, I should have said adjacent rate which would apply if you live less than 45km from the place of study.

I dont get how you got the non-adjacent rate if you live so close. Are you applying from your home address?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

I got approved for "A1" adjacent rate grant, but my letter doesn't tell me what that means / how much it is. Does anybody know this information? The main thing is it'll cover my registration fees of about 2k. As for what I will live on, um, just about keeping alive / eating thanks to many many call overs to my parents to see how they are.....usually around dinner time. FML. :(

Grant amount is pathetic compared to what it used to be. A strong case can be argued for reversal of cuts in particular for mature students, most of whom are people who have been unemployed, can't find work, and are trying to contribute by re-training and improving the work force available in the country. The Government really should support us.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,759 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

A1 is the adjacent top rate so they pay your student contribution of 2000 and give you maintenance of approximately 1200

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

[Jackass] wrote: »
    I got approved for "A1" adjacent rate grant, but my letter doesn't tell me what that means / how much it is. Does anybody know this information? The main thing is it'll cover my registration fees of about 2k. As for what I will live on, um, just about keeping alive / eating thanks to many many call overs to my parents to see how they are.....usually around dinner time. FML. :(

Grant amount is pathetic compared to what it used to be. A strong case can be argued for reversal of cuts in particular for mature students, most of whom are people who have been unemployed, can't find work, and are trying to contribute by re-training and improving the work force available in the country. The Government really should support us.

A1 adjacent rate is €1250.........its the non-adjacent that is €3000

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭irish_stevo815

Got approved for my fees to be paid by the grant. But a couple of days before the fees office in UL rang and said I don't qualify for free fees because I already have a level 7 diploma.

Anyone have any idea where I stand on this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 drominagh

Can anyone who has been affected by the cuts in grants please tell their story on the facebook page Education NOT Poverty
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Education-NOT-Poverty/181440521932326 .
    This will help us assess the effect of the cuts on everyone. More important, would you please try and contact anyone who has had to drop out because of the cuts in the grants (I know at least three people) and ask them to post that fact on Education NOT Poverty.
    Thank you everyone. :)

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Education-NOT-Poverty/181440521932326

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 drominagh

Can anyone who has been affected by the cuts in grants please tell their story on the facebook page Education NOT Poverty https://www.facebook.com/pages/Education-NOT-Poverty/181440521932326 . This will help us assess the effect of the cuts on everyone. More important, would you please try and contact anyone who has had to drop out because of the cuts in the grants (I know at least three people) and ask them to post that fact on Education NOT Poverty. Thank you everyone.
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Education-NOT-Poverty/181440521932326

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 jessie86

hey guys!

been reading all your comments about the grant cut.
    i'm a single parent of one on Loan Parents Allowance and living about 20km away from college.
    Im currently in my 2nd year in an IT. Last year I received FULL non adj grant with top up - so basically getting over 6,000e.
    This covered childcare costs etc.
    I received a letter in August of this year saying I was eligible for the same etc...
    I just received my grant a few weeks ago into my bank and it is only 814e - a drop of 1,200e!!!!
    I tried phone my County council and can not get through!!
    I'm so peeved off as I relied on this grant so much, they told me I would receive it in a letter. I never got any mention of a cut to my grant!!

There are college students who's parents may have gotten a wage cut or are on dole and get more than me. I understand they are under pressure too, but i've a child to feed and mind too.

Any one any ideas of what I should do?!

Thanks!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Speak to student services. They may have a deal with childcare facilities near the college at a reduced rate or may be able to give you financial assistance as they get funding to distribute to students in financial difficulty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭In$omniac

jessie86 wrote: »
    hey guys!

been reading all your comments about the grant cut.
    i'm a single parent of one on Loan Parents Allowance and living about 20km away from college.
    Im currently in my 2nd year in an IT. Last year I received FULL non adj grant with top up - so basically getting over 6,000e.
    This covered childcare costs etc.
    I received a letter in August of this year saying I was eligible for the same etc...
    I just received my grant a few weeks ago into my bank and it is only 814e - a drop of 1,200e!!!!
    I tried phone my County council and can not get through!!
    I'm so peeved off as I relied on this grant so much, they told me I would receive it in a letter. I never got any mention of a cut to my grant!!

There are college students who's parents may have gotten a wage cut or are on dole and get more than me. I understand they are under pressure too, but i've a child to feed and mind too.

Any one any ideas of what I should do?!

Thanks!!!

Jessie I'm in exactly the same boat as you and agree it is very unfair. However, as I'm still awaiting grant approval I haven't received any funds at all and it's half-way through the first semester!! And there are talks of further cuts in the next budget!! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭B1977

any update on the high court action taken by students against the cuts to the grant ?

http://www.facebook.com/USI.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

I got a letter today, they rejected me on the grounds that I hold a qualification equal or higher to the one I'm studying for now.

This isn't the case, I have no qualifications higher than a leaving cert, I'll call them to appeal tomorrow, but clearly after more than two months of "processing" they haven't given my application a high degree of attention, perhaps I ticked the wrong box on the form but I certainly didn't include or have on my record a higher qualification.... because I hold one.

It's quite annoying that they took so long and made such a trivial error.

How have people found the appeal process, should I expect another sizable wait before I know if i'm successful?

B1977 wrote: »
    any update on the high court action taken by students against the cuts to the grant ?

Bump

Bump

Not sure. Maybe ask USI

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭GrandBlaa

Hey all, quick query.

I'm in full time employment and going back to college as a Mature Student for 2012. I'm 28 and I live with my elderly parents, both of whom are disabled. However, I will be living at a college >45k away during term time.

I can't find an answer to this question: Will my grant be based on my income alone for the past year, or are my parent's disability benefits taken into account? Or, am I assessed on my parent's benefits alone?

I've checked studentfinance.ie and organisations like REGSA, but no joy. Can anyone advise, please?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

It will be based on all three of your incomes for the year prior to you starting college.You will need statements from the body ,i.e the disabilty people in Longford.It will also be based on how far you were away at that time meaning you might be entitled to a good rate.

• Advertisement

GrandBlaa wrote: »
    Hey all, quick query.

I'm in full time employment and going back to college as a Mature Student for 2012. I'm 28 and I live with my elderly parents, both of whom are disabled. However, I will be living at a college >45k away during term time.
    I can't find an answer to this question: Will my grant be based on my income alone for the past year, or are my parent's disability benefits taken into account? Or, am I assessed on my parent's benefits alone?

I've checked studentfinance.ie and organisations like REGSA, but no joy. Can anyone advise, please?

Your address will be taken from where you have been living since October 2011

taken from their face book page

Union of Students in Ireland (USI)
    Grants Court Case Update: This morning the High Court set February 23rd as the date for the hearing. It is anticipated that the case will go into a second day on Feb 24th. The state was granted leave to file additional affidavits prior to the hearing if necessary.

dated from December

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Wizzy2011

I am returning to college after finishing an honours degree last year. The fees for my chosen undergraduate course range from €5,600-7,264 per annum, depending on the institute I attend and shall increase over the four year duration of the course. I was just wondering if you had any information on what grants and other financial aid that may help me cover the costs. I am 26 and unfortunately have been on jobseekers since June of last year. I was also wondering about the Back to Education Allowance scheme, it states that I am ineligible for the maintenance grant but 'such students can, however, apply under the relevant student grant scheme to have the student services charge and any tuition fees payable for the course paid on their behalf.'
    Will this be applicable to me even though I have finished a course.

Thanks in advance for any information!

Wizzy2011 wrote: »
    I am returning to college after finishing an honours degree last year. The fees for my chosen undergraduate course range from €5,600-7,264 per annum, depending on the institute I attend and shall increase over the four year duration of the course. I was just wondering if you had any information on what grants and other financial aid that may help me cover the costs. I am 26 and unfortunately have been on jobseekers since June of last year. I was also wondering about the Back to Education Allowance scheme, it states that I am ineligible for the maintenance grant but 'such students can, however, apply under the relevant student grant scheme to have the student services charge and any tuition fees payable for the course paid on their behalf.'
    Will this be applicable to me even though I have finished a course.

Thanks in advance for any information!

If you already have an honours degree I don't think you will get any grant assistance - I am fairly sure you would not be eligible for a grant under the grants scheme.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 43 gunterwest

If you already have an honours degree I don't think you will get any grant assistance - I am fairly sure you would not be eligible for a grant under the grants scheme.

You may get a maintenance grant from VEC, or you may qualify for Back to Education Allowance, but you will definately not get "free fees" so you'll have to pay them. Could be up to 10k. I did an ordinary degree and was returning to college this year following redundancy, I had to sign up for a 4 year abinition honours degree so that the qualification gained was "progressive" on paper, even though it's in a totally field.

gunterwest wrote: »
    You may get a maintenance grant from VEC, or you may qualify for Back to Education Allowance,
    Im fairly sure you would not get either

Terry Pratchet

So would I definitely not be eligible for BTEA?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

It's unlikely as you have only recently finished your existing qualification and now are looking to do the same level of qualification again.
    To get clarity contact your local Job Facilitator in DSP as they usually make the decisions in cases like this. You can make an appointment with the JF through your local DSP office or they might give you a contact number.
    Alternatively you can contact the DSP national office dealing with BTEA:
    Back to Education Section
    Department of Social Protection
    Social Welfare Services Office
    Government Buildings
    Shannon Lodge
    Carrick-on-Shannon
    Leitrim
    Ireland
    Tel: (071) 967 2616
    Locall:1890 927 999
    Homepage: http://www.welfare.ie

almost certainly not because you are not doing a qualification at a higher level than the one you already have

see rule 1.10 here

www.welfare.ie/en/operationalguidelines/pages/bte_all.aspx

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

The course is the same level that my previous course was, level 8. Technically it is not a post graduate course as the course has no ties to the degree I have completed, so technically it is another level 8 undergraduate course even though it is post graduation.

1.10 Progression in education course

The approved full-time education course must lead to a higher qualification on the National Framework of Qualifications other than that already held. It is not considered that existing graduates should have an entitlement to BTEA to pursue a course at a similar qualification level as, inter alia, this can lead to displacement of persons seeking such qualifications for the first time. Reference should be made to the National Framework of Qualifications (see appendix 3) e.g. If a person holds a Fetac level 5 qualification, they must be progressing to a level 6 qualification.

There may be a small loophole, no?

Advertisement