Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

is my ram faulty?

• 17-04-2011 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭

i have 4gb of RAM from the manufacturer "Elpida" according to CPU-Z.

admittedly, it was bought as Ebuyer.com's "Value" DDR3 1333mhz 4gb kit RAM or something, some time ago.

anyway, im trying very hard to overclock my athlon X3 445 rana (2.9ghz) @phenom ii X4 (2.9ghz - 6mb L3, fully stable)

but any overclocking i do (@3.45ghz now) ups the DRAM ratio so my ram gets overclocked, and no matter what frequency i get it to run at, it fails memtest and BSODS under any stress tests.

FAILs @ 14xxmhz, 1580mhz, 1600mhz, 1800mhz, etc.
    1280mhz FFS. i can only do any stress tests/pass memtest when its @ stock 1333mhz

is it faulty as it only works @1333 and not even below? do i have a case here to return it to ebuyer.com?
    would upping the voltage help out? its @1.50v now @ stock.

Mobo is an MSI 770-G45

Thanks for any advice here.

Tea

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Sounds like your mobo's memory divider is borked, it should run fine @ 1280MHz so long as it is being run at a suitable voltage with suitable timings. If you can verify those are good try updating the BIOS?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

Solitaire wrote: »
    Sounds like your mobo's memory divider is borked, it should run fine @ 1280MHz so long as it is being run at a suitable voltage with suitable timings. If you can verify those are good try updating the BIOS?

I haven't bothered updating my BIOS as the changelog from each revision doesn't mention anything important. will do tonight anyway if I can find my damn usb stick.

I got it stable last night @3.35GHz and RAM at 1580mHz after upping the RAM voltage to 1.55v

tbh, I'm a complete noob at OC. I'm not changing the ram timing, its @cl9 unless it changes automatically with an increase in FBS?
    only gripe I have with the OC is that it appears to disable the speed stepping of the CPU, so now its permanently @ full speed (according to CPUZ anyway)

otherwise I'm quite pleased with my cheapo athlon x3 :)

what's the max I should let my NB and HT link frequency run at? I've kept my multiplier @x14.5

Advertisement