Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Which type of Wood

• 10-12-2010 4:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

Hello All,

I am new to the world of wood craft and would like to know if anyone has any suggestions for the following project.

I am going to try my hand at building a wooden tv unit.

The unit will consist of a top, 3 sides, left,right and back and 3 shelves under the top to hold tv box, games box, sound box. And 4 stump legs

Does anyone have any suggestions on what type of wood to use for this project.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭ronaldo84

is there any thing u would like it to match?? is there any particular colour u want it to b??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 pinksl412

No major preference. The floor in the room is teak. I am looking to have a strong durable unit, not sure if i need to use hardwood for this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

use mahogany that is either sapele, utile or similar. very easy to get a good finish and wont stand out too much against tek

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭North West

Try your local builders merchants and look at the veneered MDF selection they have. They come in all colours Single side veneer or double side veneer and come in 2400mm x 1200mm sheets either 15mm or 18mm. Maybe a nice light colour might bring up the character of your unit against the teak floor, just an idea ?
    North West

Advertisement