Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ronnie Barker RIP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭cosgrove80

Yes, he'll be missed.

One of those people who you'd assume to be a really nice guy in person too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Legend of the small screen though I could live without Open All Hours and
    Clarence (his last sitcom).

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭-oRnein9-

Always guaranteed a laugh with Ron.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

A true comic genius, went out out showbiz when he wanted too as well, not easy to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭davros

His acting was incredible. It's very hard to see the same guy behind Fletcher, Arkwright and his Two Ronnies sketches.

I'd vote Porridge the best sitcom of all time too. Even better than Fawlty Towers because of the more realistic characterisations.

Loved the fiercely clever wordplay in The Two Ronnies. The English language is a beautiful instrument but we don't get to hear it played so well these days.

I'm glad, anyway, that he got a few tribute programmes over the last couple of years while he was still around. And the highlights of The Two Ronnies was most welcome a few months back (could have lived without The Phantom Raspberry Blower though - not exactly Spike Milligan's finest work).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭YeatsCounty

This came as a big shock to me. Rest in Peace Ronnie. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,730 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

"Four candles please..." and so on...

Porridge is genius, though slightly dulled by endless repeats

a shame, but he had a good innings and will be well remembered (and endlessly repeated)

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

loyatemu wrote:
    "Four candles please..." and so on...
    So, you wanted fork handles? :D

Yah, Porridge is a great piece of comedy history. I have a small memory of Clarence, though I don't see it rerun, if ever :(

R.I.P. Ronnie.

Advertisement