Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

City hotels suffering from rise in bedroom boozers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

xLexie wrote: »
    I recently stayed in a hotel for a hen night, bought a bottle of vodka and west coast cooler but needed ice, so rang down to reception to see if they would send some up. The guy that answered asked if I needed a glass of ice or an ice bucket for a bottle, so obviously not all hotels care if you buy it there or not.

I work in a hotel, and we don't mind at all if someone rings down looking for ice and glasses. It happens all the time, and you can't blame people for bringing a bottle of wine or whatever with them. Hotels charge extortionate prices for drinks. You're already paying for the room, and chances are you'll eat at least one meal there.

I wouldn't stay in a hotel room all night drinking, but one or two before you head out for the night is grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Thinking back we actually stayed in a well known Cork city hotel for a stag not so long ago.

Went back to the residents bar and asked what time he was closing. This was about 03:30. He said 4am. We asked what would happen if we brought down some bottles of Jack and Captains. He answered with "Then i'll give you some glasses and show you where the drinks machine is"
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

If off licences are making so much more money compared to pubs and hotels why dont they have their own and a seating area. They can charge off license prices then, maybe even charge 50c to get a glass to cover the extra costs of cleaning them. Or they could just realise that it is a free market and if someone is undercutting you legally then you dont something yourself instead of telling the government they need to make a minimum price

If off licences are making so much more money compared to pubs and hotels why dont they have their own and a seating area. They can charge off license prices then, maybe even charge 50c to get a glass to cover the extra costs of cleaning them. Or they could just realise that it is a free market and if someone is undercutting you legally then you dont something yourself instead of telling the government they need to make a minimum price

I could be wrong, but I'd imagine they'd need a licence to do that. And licences can cost a fortune.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

I imagine its because then it would be a pub which you need a licence for.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Ah right then, so you can sell alcohol for cheap but you place a chair in there and the price doubles. Seems to me that the hotels and pubs should be trying to get a change in how this works instead of trying to put off licenses out of business

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Ah right then, so you can sell alcohol for cheap but you place a chair in there and the price doubles. Seems to me that the hotels and pubs should be trying to get a change in how this works instead of trying to put off licenses out of business

Since when are hotels and pubs trying to put off licenses out of business? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

ash23 wrote: »
    I know I'd pay it. I hate drinking lukewarm wine from a bathroom glass.....but I'll do it rather than paying 4 times the price in the bar.

Red wine tastes better luke warm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Since when are hotels and pubs trying to put off licenses out of business? :confused:

Since they lobbied to get them closed early to push traffic towards their establishments and then lobbied against "below cost" selling of alcohol, which was completely false!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

Ormus wrote: »
    Red wine tastes better luke warm

Jesus' blood :eek:.....bleugh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Victor Meldrew

DeanAustin wrote: »
    My heart bleeds. I have a young baby ....We don't even bring him to the restaurant to make sure that no-one else is disturbed, I'm not bringing him to the bar.

The two places I've been over the last 6 months, I've spent €400-€450 both times without going to the bar and by bringing drink to the room. If that isn't enough for them, too bad.

Snap.

I've done this in 5 star hotels too (and lesser establishments). Not just booze either.

I try to bootleg it in a rucksack, walking through the lobby with a Spar bag is a bit gauche...

It is pretty much inevitable if you have kids and have to stay in the room a lot...

And don't get me started on no Tea or coffee making facilities....:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

rubadub wrote: »
    You can smoke there, have your own music on, the TV whatever. Bring in a better selection of drinks than the miserable choice in most pubs.
    You can't smoke in your hotel room. Not legally, plus setting off the fire alarm could end up costing you.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭PrincessPreach

humbert wrote: »
    There's something depressing about the thought of people going to a hotel only to spend their time drinking or partying in their rooms.

You and I have very different views on what's depressing!
    I love boozing it up in my hotel room. It's even better when accompanied by a hot guy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

smash wrote: »
    Since they lobbied to get them closed early to push traffic towards their establishments and then lobbied against "below cost" selling of alcohol, which was completely false!

Oh yeah! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Kinzig

an off licence means that its for consumption off the premises;)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

ScumLord wrote: »
    You can't smoke in your hotel room. Not legally, plus setting off the fire alarm could end up costing you.
    You can if its a smoking room, which I request, some hotels might not have any, but the smoking ban did not effect this (I am guessing you think it was banned), they could have had no smoking rooms available at all before the ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

rubadub wrote: »
    You can if its a smoking room, which I request, some hotels might not have any, but the smoking ban did not effect this (I am guessing you think it was banned), they could have had no smoking rooms available at all before the ban.
    I didn't think they still had smoking rooms in Irish hotels. I've been in one in the UK but they're as rare as hens teeth over there.

I didn't think they still had smoking rooms in Irish hotels. I've been in one in the UK but they're as rare as hens teeth over there.

Pretty sure they're still available here but the majority would be non-smoking.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I didn't think they still had smoking rooms in Irish hotels.
    We have got them the last few stags I was on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

You and I have very different views on what's depressing!
    I love boozing it up in my hotel room. It's even better when accompanied by a hot guy!!
    We certainly do!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

The best part from the article is this:

Joe Treacy, Addiction Counsellor in Galway and Secretary of the Irish Psychiatric Nurses Association, slammed the practice of people bringing in alcohol to hotel rooms and believed that it should be outlawed.

Most people stay in an Irish hotel, what, two or three times a year?
    How the fcuk is drinking a few cans, bottle of wine or whatever at these rare occasions cause for concern to some addiction counsellor in Galway who happens to also be Secretary of the Irish Psychiatric Nurses Association.

I'm in no way questioning the good work of addiction counselling services and the like; however I find his input to this story is bizarre to say the very least.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

because it is an OFF licence - the alcohol is to be consumed OFF the premises.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭crusher000

Now whats stopping a hotel doing the followin, I once leased a Hotel for several years and ran my own business. We didn't have this problem then but a fully licensed premises can sell drink for off sales. So What's stopping any hotel setting aside an area where they can sell bottles of wine or cans to take up to your room. Now I know it will effect sales in the fully licensed bars but this is happening anyway but drink is coming in from outside. They could sell brands that they don't sell on draught or their wine menu and you have to take it to your bedroom. Still making a few bob for themselves and you don't have to plan ahead and stop at the off license. The off sales on the premises could also be for a limited time in the evening, say closes at 9 pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭blaze1

Disneyland Paris have taken this to a whole new level, bags scanned on entry to hotel to make sure theres no gargle and backpacks etc scanned on way into the park to make sure your not bringing your own grub.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭crusher000

blaze1 wrote: »
    Disneyland Paris have taken this to a whole new level, bags scanned on entry to hotel to make sure theres no gargle and backpacks etc scanned on way into the park to make sure your not bringing your own grub.

God that's tight. I used to work there, obviuosly they have had this problem for a while and with the cost it is to famillies to go there people are trying to keep cost down.It is very expensive to eat and drink there. I worked there as a student so the price of drink was way beyond my means.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

crusher000 wrote: »
    Now whats stopping a hotel doing the followin, I once leased a Hotel for several years and ran my own business. We didn't have this problem then but a fully licensed premises can sell drink for off sales. So What's stopping any hotel setting aside an area where they can sell bottles of wine or cans to take up to your room. Now I know it will effect sales in the fully licensed bars but this is happening anyway but drink is coming in from outside. They could sell brands that they don't sell on draught or their wine menu and you have to take it to your bedroom. Still making a few bob for themselves and you don't have to plan ahead and stop at the off license. The off sales on the premises could also be for a limited time in the evening, say closes at 9 pm.

I don't know the ins and outs of the law but this sounds like a pretty good idea to me. I don't think that many would have the vision to try it though.

If you want to go to the bar you will anyway. I don't think it would affect the bars that much to be honest. Maybe it would but if hotels are that worried about this 'problem', then the above is worth a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

God I would hate to spend good money on a hotel room to have a bunch of kids partying in the room next door. You'd be driven mad with the noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

This story smacks of a business type unwilling to change with the times/work abit harder for people's money. My heart bleeds...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭blaze1

crusher000 wrote: »
    God that's tight. I used to work there, obviuosly they have had this problem for a while and with the cost it is to famillies to go there people are trying to keep cost down.It is very expensive to eat and drink there. I worked there as a student so the price of drink was way beyond my means.

Madness, cant have been too much fun for you so. I paid about €19 for a pint and hot whiskey !:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

blaze1 wrote: »

That's mental, when I was there about 4 years ago the hotel we were in near the park had a buffet breakfast included and we'd just take a few criossants or donuts or something to munch on until it was time for dinner later in the day, a lot of people did.
    the food is crazy expensive in there unless you go to planet hollywood where it wasn't too bad, nowhere near as pricey as the places actually inside the park.

Advertisement