Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

First sighting in the wild of a White Orca

• 24-04-2012 2:31am
    Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,127 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

It was sighted off the kamtchatka peninsula in eastern Russia and has bee dubbed Iceberg.

_59768822_ferop7283.jpg
    White whales of various species are occasionally seen; but the only known white orcas have been young, including one with a rare genetic condition that died in a Canadian aquarium in 1972.

The sightings were made during a research cruise off Kamchatka by a group of Russian scientists and students, co-led by Erich Hoyt, the long-time orca scientist, conservationist and author who is now a senior research fellow with the Whale and Dolphin Conservation Society (WDCS).

Go here for the full story and some video footage too: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-17783603

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭roro1neil0

Speak not to me of blasphemy, man; I'd strike the sun if it insulted me. Look ye, Starbuck, all visible objects are but as pasteboard masks. Some inscrutable yet reasoning thing puts forth the molding of their features. The white whale tasks me; he heaps me. Yet he is but a mask. 'Tis the thing behind the mask I chiefly hate; the malignant thing that has plagued mankind since time began; the thing that maws and mutilates our race, not killing us outright but letting us live on, with half a heart and half a lung.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,127 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Gutted that I didn't think to put a Moby Dick reference in the OP! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Damn he beat me to it!

Awesome looking creature, Is it technically an albino?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭Adam Khor

Awesome animal!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

Its not a subspecies or anything is it? Just a genetic disorder?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭Adam Khor

yekahS wrote: »
    Its not a subspecies or anything is it? Just a genetic disorder?

He's probably an albino; they want to photograph his eyes to make sure, tho. He's definitely not a different subspecies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

In the video he looks to be the biggest one in the pod. Strange he wasn't known about before, if more than 16 years old.

Advertisement