Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rome

Options
  • 13-07-2007 4:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭

BBC are most of the way through season 2 of this series.

Just wondering what people think of it?
    Personaly I think its great, plots are pretty juicy & some of the acting is great (particularly the woman playing 'Atia')
    Shame it only lasted 2 seasons.

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭valor

one of my fav shows ever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭vallo

(This is only on BBC afaik, so I'm not putting in any spoiler warnings)

I thought the 1st series was superb - a decent balance between the historically accurate bits (well, accurate as far as I know - I'm sure many would disagree) and the fictional characters who had an interesting storyline and gave insights into the way Roman citizens behaved (e.g. their appalling attitude to slaves).

Season 2 is a big disappointment to me - the factual part is plodding along nicely and is as good as ever, but the other storyline is crap. It's like the whole production is cheaper and more like a TV mini-series of a jackie collins novel. Some of the "high-drama" is just plain silly .. like the jewish guy planning the Herod assassination, having been suddenly driven to extremist judaism by Atia's cruelty or something. Who really cares that this background character has suddenly killed his brother?

I still watch it, but I don't know if I'd be bothered enough to tape it if I was going to be out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

I really enjoyed the 1st series, just acquiring the second season now. While not totally factually accurate it was excellent television imo. It did a pretty good job of portraying how Roman politics works, which isn't so easy.

Advertisement