Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rome - unedited/uncensored?

• 13-08-2010 1:47am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭

Lads, reading Wiki it seems the BBC edited several episodes, now i'm thinking of getting into this show, but what should i be looking for?...DVd or Blu-Ray?

I wanna see the full uncensored cuts, thanks in advance.

Comments

I have both dvd and blu ray and they are both uncensored as far as I can tell :D
    Go for the blu ray though, picture quality is superb.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

If your thinking this is going to be anything like Spartacus, you are sorely mistaken. It's a much more serious take on Rome, and is far more historically accurate (i know there's a lot of liberties taken, but the general events were accurate enough).

It's a fantastic show though. Some great characters, and they do a really good job of showing Rome. Stand out performances from James Purefoy as Mark Anthony and Ciarán Hinds as Julius Caesar.

Definitely worth watching.

God, Rome was one of the worst things to watch in college. Everything was going fine until random sex scene!!! just as some person walks by.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,300 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

were you studying it for a class or just watching it on a computer?

Skerries wrote: »
    were you studying it for a class or just watching it on a computer?

On a computer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

Kiith wrote: »
    If your thinking this is going to be anything like Spartacus, you are sorely mistaken. It's a much more serious take on Rome, and is far more historically accurate (i know there's a lot of liberties taken, but the general events were accurate enough).

I watched Spartacus first and then Rome, they are very similar shows in all fairness. They have a lot of similarities: use of modern day swear words, lots of sex, lots of violence, alpha-male soldier types, snivelling politician types, pre-pubescent roman brats, bitchey female characters.

Rome just has a budget and all the trimmings that come with having a budget. It takes a lot of liberties with the historical timeline, not to mention the two primary characters stories and their interactions with historical figures are fictional. It was the same thing with Deadwood (also by HBO) which, just like Rome, was accurate in how it portrayed the time in which it was set, but took a lot of historical liberties for the sake of story.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

robby^5 wrote: »
    I watched Spartacus first and then Rome, they are very similar shows in all fairness. They have a lot of similarities: use of modern day swear words, lots of sex, lots of violence, alpha-male soldier types, snivelling politician types, pre-pubescent roman brats, bitchey female characters.

I'd actually disagree with you on the above. I don't think they are anything alike, bar the Roman setting. The tone's of the shows are completely different. The sex and violence in Rome aren't done for the sake of it. The violence is very much from a soldier's point of view, focussed on (usually) Vorenus and Pullo. The sex scenes are generally plot related, and have a reason for being there. And to be fair, there weren't exactly a huge amount of them.

Spartacus's over the top violence and random sex scenes suit the stylised nature of the show, but are there for completely different reasons.

I'd also point out that i loved both shows, and am not critisizing either. They are both great in their own rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭The Don

Rome is one of my favourite shows ever and is in my Top 3.

I love Spartacus too but Spartacus doesn't really have the dramatic umph of Rome. Imho Spartacus mixed some of the Substance from Rome (story telling, sets, dialog, etc) and the Style from 300.

Rome is more historically accurate and the violence is more realistic and in most cases justifiable for the time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

OK, so i went for XTREME quality, Blu-Ray....2.18GB a pop!! :eek:
    The audio and video quality is superb! :D
    I'm five episodes in, and really enjoying it thus far!, it's a fair bit different to Spartacus in style and language, as in how the dialogue is written, it also appears all the sets are real and not a CGI sausagefest like Sparty :)

Could do with a bit more bonking and boobs, it's early days so i'll reserve full judgement until i see it all, why did it get cancelled again :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

why did it get cancelled again :confused:

Cost. It was a massivelly expensive show to produce and for the two years it aired, it was a joint HBO/BBC production. The partnership was set up for two seasons, after which BBC was going to drop out of it and HBO didn't want to carry the cost alone. There were rumors of a movie been made to tie up various loose ends, but nothing has materialized yet...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

I watched all of season 1 and am now on ep. 4 of season 2!, i'll watch another 3 eps. tonight....very enjoyable, but imo i prefer Spartacus, i find Sparty the best of Rome and 300.

Advertisement