Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fixings for plasterboard on block wall

• 26-01-2015 1:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭

Several walls in my house are plasterboard that was glued to concrete blocks with bonding dabbed onto the walls in blobs. To secure things like curtain rails, shelves etc. means going through plasterboard, through a few milimiters of fresh air and then into the concrete blocks.

For normal securing something to a drywall, I've been using things like these cones that screw into the plasterboard and then take a screw but find they can wobble when fitting so the centrepoint can move from intended spot, and also sometimes they just didn't bite and spun in place and were no use. Have also tried these interset fittings but found 1 in 3 would just spin out and not bite at all. Just saw mention on a YouTube video that you can get a clamp to secure interset fixtures in place, but not sure what this is and if it's useful.

So my first question would be what's the best fixing and best technique for getting a good fixing onto plasterboard on a stud wall with no blocks?

And then main question is what's the best approach to use for plasterboard where you have a few mm space in behind, but then it's blocks behind that? Have a few fixing jobs to do tomorrow before bring our first baby home from the hospital on Tuesday so all help is much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭jeepers101

The guy in this Woodies video uses that setting tool (skip to 1:14)

You could always just use frame fixers and go directly into the block though

http://www.goodwins.ie/p-2113-8-x-100-frame-anchor.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 9,856 ✭✭✭dodzy

The fixings in the YouTube clip really need clearance behind the board, which the op dies not have. Small frame fixers are your man.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭sky6

As said by Dodzy, 5,6,8 mm Nail anchors are perfect for this. You can also get them in different lengths. Whatever size you choose just drill into the blockwork with a drill bit of the same size as the anchor. Allow for at least 40 mm into the blockwork plus the gap behind plasterboard plus the board thickness. Sometimes I've used the right size anchor with a longer screw of the same size anchor. So as I can hang something off the extended piece of the screw.
    Using a bit of care to make sure you've located it properly in the blockwork. You just offer the anchor with screw up and tap home with the hammer.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭jeepers101

dodzy wrote: »
    The fixings in the YouTube clip really need clearance behind the board, which the op dies not have. Small frame fixers are your man.

Well he did say he's getting them in but they're spinning. They're hard to set if you don't have the tool.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭sky6

Probably not using the right size drill bit. If it's an 8 mm anchor it must be and 8mm bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,141 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Another way is to use express nails driven in until flush with the plaster board and then put the traditional rawplug in the express nail
    http://www.hardwareireland.ie/product/Express-Nails-Compression-Anchors-12-Pack-880/

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭agusta

If your hanging curtain poles with heavy curtains the brackets can compress into the plaster board and you would end up redoing them
    What i would do,
    A/Drill a hole through the plasterboard 40 mm into block,measure the depth of hole to see what length of screws required.
    B/drill a 10mm hole through the plasterboard as far as the block only,measure this depth.Say for example it 30mm
    C/buy 10mm copper pipe,cut the copper pipe 31mm and insert into the hole
    D/Insert rawlplug plug and screw,tap in with a hammer lightly until rawlplug is inserted into the block and screw home

• Registered Users Posts: 9,856 ✭✭✭dodzy

agusta wrote: »
    If your hanging curtain poles with heavy curtains the brackets can compress into the plaster board and you would end up redoing them
    What i would do,
    A/Drill a hole through the plasterboard 40 mm into block,measure the depth of hole to see what length of screws required.
    B/drill a 10mm hole through the plasterboard as far as the block only,measure this depth.Say for example it 30mm
    C/buy 10mm copper pipe,cut the copper pipe 31mm and insert into the hole
    D/Insert rawlplug plug and screw,tap in with a hammer lightly until rawlplug is inserted into the block and screw home
    Overkill. Bigtime. Sky6 has the easiest solution covered in detail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭agusta

dodzy wrote: »
    Overkill. Bigtime. Sky6 has the easiest solution covered in detail.
    its overkill for hanging pictures,kitchen units ect,but its not overkill for curtain poles and heavy curtains,most curtain pole brackets dont have a big surface area and can compress into the plasterboard.Its the same as sky6 solution except your fitting a 10mm copper sleeve to stop the plasterboard compressing.about 2 mins extra time per screw.

Advertisement