Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Hobbit : Battle of the five armies (December 2014)

Options

Comments

FunLover18 wrote: »
    why are you interested in seeing it then?
    Things go boom??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,543 ✭✭✭billyhead

FunLover18 wrote: »
    why are you interested in seeing it then?

Well I enjoyed the LOTR trilogy but heard the 1st 2 of the recent movies were rubbish but this is supposed to be the best out of the 3 with a big battle scene thrown in

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

billyhead wrote:
    Well I enjoyed the LOTR trilogy but heard the 1st 2 of the recent movies were rubbish but this is supposed to be the best out of the 3 with a big battle scene thrown in

from what I've read here The Battle scene looks ****. Might be better waiting for some reviews. saying it's the best in the series is just damming with faint praise imo

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Going to a midnight showing of this tonight in the lighthouse
    I'm excited enough to go to a midnight showing but i've probably never been this prepared to be disappointed by a film involving a world and series of characters i've long cared about, ever..

i'll be back later, either ranting or raving..

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Irish94

Are people going to be posting spoilers? Just wondering as I won't be able to see the film until next weekend. I know what happens from reading the books, but I would like to avoid hearing anything just in case!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

billyhead wrote: »

Just go see them all. Nobody sees a movie like you do.

Avoid the Tolkien FB groups....they dont even care i read a bunch of unmarked spoilers today...that boils my piss completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,533 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

david75 wrote: »
    Avoid the Tolkien FB groups....they dont even care i read a bunch of unmarked spoilers today...that boils my piss completely.

Spoilers are abroad tonight and recently. On the radio, in reviews and on forums. It's the hobbit most all ready know how it's goes. The major beats anyway.

I dont have anything whatsoever to say in an at least constructive manner, about this film.

apart from never see it. ever.

it was awful.

I will have to vent my spleen tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Royce McCutcheon

Having watched the second one just before this one, there is no comparison, I was extremly disappointed in the 3rd one, several moments in serious parts of the film where everyone started laughing in the theatre higlighted the amount of rdiculous things that happened 5/10

• Advertisement

You were there too?
    twice the audience laughed out loud at the shambolic setups they were watching. I hid behind my hands..
    it was embarrassingly bad..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Can't wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Well I'm glad that's over with.

It's not terrible, but it's also not very good. And I was incredibly bored throughout the battle. Seems to last longer than the rest of the movies combined.

It should never have been split into three movies.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Irish94 wrote: »
    Are people going to be posting spoilers? Just wondering as I won't be able to see the film until next weekend. I know what happens from reading the books, but I would like to avoid hearing anything just in case!
    How can you have any idea at all what will happen in Peter Jackson's New Adventures in Middle Earth just because you've read the books? :D

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    How can you have any idea at all what will happen in Peter Jackson's New Adventures in Middle Earth just because you've read the books? :D

Because the main story pretty much follows and the rest is an amalgamation of appendices

Because the main story pretty much follows and the rest is an amalgamation of appendices
    The orcs and elves fighting on a bridge to Laketown beg to differ!

The orcs and elves fighting on a bridge to Laketown beg to differ!

Not seen the recent but that's not a huge deal

Not seen the recent but that's not a huge deal
    Er, that happened in the second movie?:confused:
    Try to find that in the book...

Er, that happened in the second movie?:confused:
    Try to find that in the book...

It's still a nothing and just fleshing out the elves.

expecting at least a few posts shortly about their experience watching this tonight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,533 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

david75 wrote: »
    expecting at least a few posts shortly about their experience watching this tonight

The 3 hobbit movies have been a massive missed opportunity but they still have some good bits in them.
    The CGI is bad in places but not watching it in 3D and 48fps really helps it out. Azog looked excellent in the latest one and I actually liked him, the only Orc with a bit of personality.

This movie wasn't bad but shouldn't have existed. Massive editing of the three movies and cutting them down to two and we would of had an excellent addition to middle earth.

They should have started the movies with the battle where they got rid of the Witch King of Angmar and introduced the threat of Sauron that way and left the White Council attack until the climax of the last movie. Also here Legolas's mother dies creating the tension between him and his father and his father and the white council. With the threat growing throughout the movies, with Gandalf distracted by quest to the mountain/Smaug. Gandalf would have left for his confrontation at the start of the 2nd movie after meeting Ragashast, leaving the others to go onto Laketown to wait for him. Thorn gets impatient - the greed already getting to him - convinces them to go in and they unleash Smaug. Gandalf gets defeated and the white council rescue and banish Suaron at the same time as the battle of the five armies and death of Smaug. Gandalf calls the eagles, so he can get to the battle at Dale and helps save the day. Cut out the dwarf elf romance, increase the part with the spiders and the wood in the first movie and remove some of the superfluous crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭davidrowe

I have to say I came away fairly disappointed (after watching earlier tonight). I'm a massive Tolkien fan, and I enjoyed Jackson's LOTR films, but alarm bells started ringing for me ever when The Hobbit was split into two parts, never mind 3 parts. It's simply not a story of the same scale as LOTR, and I think that Jackson set expectations too high (particularly for those who haven't read any Tolkien) by splitting The Hobbit into 3 parts. Overall, it's probably about as disappointing as I expected from the outset. And I do acknowledge that content from the Appendices was featured. That was probably my favourite part of the film. I won't say any more for fear of spoiling ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭davidrowe

I have to say I came away fairly disappointed (after watching earlier tonight). I'm a massive Tolkien fan, and I enjoyed Jackson's LOTR films, but alarm bells started ringing for me back when The Hobbit was split into two parts, never mind 3 parts. It's simply not a story of the same scale as LOTR, and I think that Jackson set expectations too high (particularly for those who haven't read any Tolkien) by splitting The Hobbit into 3 parts. Overall, it's probably about as disappointing as I expected from the outset. And I do acknowledge that content from the Appendices was featured. That was probably my favourite part of the film. I won't say any more for fear of spoiling ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Heat_Wave

5/10.

Very poor movie.

Far too many laugh out loud moments for this movie to be taken seriously. The special effects were too ridiculous. Whoever said it was more like a video game was bang on.

Would not watch again.

then why 5/10?????

• Registered Users Posts: 24,469 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

terrible turd of a film.

Was saying to a friend just before it started that it'll date way worse than the first trilogy. Then up pops a 5 min long 'thanks NZ for 20 years' bit and the clips from LOTR looks great, the new ones look terrible. Everything looks CG.

Aside from that it just dragged and continuity was non existent, weapons, goat etc all appearing out of nowhere.
    Azog has magically had the old blade impailed on his arm removed and another inserted in the same place just cos.
    Scenes with
    sauron & galadriele and thorin on the gold lake were jarring and actually annoying, almost painful to watch

Also
    **** you eagles, always ****ing late, always. never mind the thousands that died cos you never turn up to anything on time.
    :pac:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Hey can people giving their review of Hobbit 3, can you give your rating for Hobbit 1 & 2 aswell, so we see where you're coming from? Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Royce McCutcheon

Hobbit 1- 7/10
    Hobbit 2-8/10
    Hobbit 3-5/10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Would I be able to enjoy this without having seen the first two?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Hobbit 1 - 7/10
    Hobbit 2 - 6/10
    Hobbit 3 - 7/10

Advertisement