Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Avengers: Age of Ultron [** SPOILERS FROM POST 599 ONWARD **]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

As not a major comic reader, I found this very useful in straightening things out for me: http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/avengers-age-of-ultron/35125/22-questions-about-avengers-age-of-ultron-answered

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

don ramo wrote:
    i think you could really see spader in ultron, the way he talks he smacks his lips and kind of over pronounces some of his words, and the way he head kind of nods as he talks, anyone who watches the blacklist will know

I agree, there was a moment where I thought I saw Ultron bite the inside of his cheek. But I don't think we needed that from robot. I think the way he turned his head was great but would've looked better if that great voice was coming from a inanimate face, in the same way that RDJ's voice sounds more threatening coming from the stern Iron Man glare. Just my opinion though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

why did ultron turn into a mix of james spader and bumblebee?

and other ultron henchmen robots seemed to easier and easier to kill as time went on so much that a human could simple stick a metal throught their head to kill them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

why did ultron turn into a mix of james spader and bumblebee?

and other ultron henchmen robots seemd to easier and easier to kill as time went on so much that a human could simple stick a metal at throught their head to kill them
    yeah thats a general staple of any kind of superhero show, remember power rangers always had those putty patrols that rita sent, easily dispatched, and the turtles had the foot clan, last avengers loki had the chitauri,

the robots did tend to get easier to kill as it went along, i would think minerals were getting scarce to build them so they were built of weaker material,
    the last batch in the city were walking, whereas earlier they were flying and all,

titan18 wrote: »
    Tbf, along with the films, you've got Agents of Shield, Agent Carter, Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, Iron Fist, Defenders and whatever else they try to do.
    yeah the same universe, but no crossover whatsoever yet, the netflix ones will cross over, but havent seen a direct tie into the larger universe, bar the fall of SHIELD, if they get them all together for Infinity Wars ill be very impressed,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

don ramo wrote: »
    yeah the same universe, but no crossover whatsoever yet, the netflix ones will cross over, but havent seen a direct tie into the larger universe, bar the fall of SHIELD, if they get them all together for Infinity Wars ill be very impressed,

There are lots of nods though. Strucker at the start with the hyrdra base is the guy they are hunting in Agents of shield. That's one.

Another is just before Ultron rips the arm off of Klaw, Klaw gives him vibranium. As he's doing it, you can see the same barrels of stuff that blinded Matt Murdock in Daredevil.

A direct tie in? No but there are little nods like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

Kirby wrote: »
    There are lots of nods though. Strucker at the start with the hyrdra base is the guy they are hunting in Agents of shield. That's one.

Another is just before Ultron rips the arm off of Klaw, Klaw gives him vibranium. As he's doing it, you can see the same barrels of stuff that blinded Matt Murdock in Daredevil.

Didn't Sif appear in AoS aswell?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Yes and I think Renner will appear in the show too.

Kirby wrote: »

ah yeah small things, but now we have an avengers facility, and we have SHIELD, which is in the process of being rebuilt, yet doesnt feature at all in the film, no coulson or the new gang,
    when fury popped up with the carrier i though wed see someone, these carriers just seem to be laying about the place, where did fury get the crew,
    with the size of the verse their creating i expect to find out on Agents of SHIELD over the next few weeks, but i probably wont, and thats the annoying thing,

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Another thing about the film is that they made
    Captain America as dull as dishwater, the 'language' joke stopped being funny after the first attempt. There was very few signs of him being a 'leader' of the group

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

ah yeah small things, but now we have an avengers facility, and we have SHIELD, which is in the process of being rebuilt, yet doesnt feature at all in the film, no coulson or the new gang,
    when fury popped up with the carrier i though wed see someone, these carriers just seem to be laying about the place, where did fury get the crew,
    with the size of the verse their creating i expect to find out on Agents of SHIELD over the next few weeks, but i probably wont, and thats the annoying thing,
    Just on the carrier thing. I only noticed because I was watching it as part of a marathon but the guy who's at the control panel of the carrier is the same guy who refuses to launch the carriers in Cap 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭ShazGV

Corholio wrote: »
    Another thing about the film is that they made
    Captain America as dull as dishwater, the 'language' joke stopped being funny after the first attempt. There was very few signs of him being a 'leader' of the group

I agree, though I found it worse in the first film.
    Didn't find the language joke funny either, don't really like the way Whedon writes Cap. No comparison between the Cap in CA:TWS & the Cap in the Avengers films imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭Mechanical Clocktail

Okay guys, this is a negative review so don't read if you don't want to hear it, and I'm echoing one or two things already said. I'll spoiler the lot.
    Whedon can't write a villian to save his life. Just some whiney child, it's in all his stuff.. The humor was very forced, Iron-man and co. had some of the most boring, generic dialogue I've ever heard. The quips, Whedon, give it a rest. He's really not a good writer.

There was no menace, there was no real bad guy here - and it's a pity because I really like Spader. His opening was really good with J, there was the intelligence and menace for about two minutes, and then he devolves into mediocrity almost immediately.

Smashing generic and increasingly weak robots for 2 hours bored me to tears. I expected an old lady to smash one of them up with an umbrella in the finale. The conflict between the group was a rehash of the first film. The hammer thing with Cap was lifted from the first film. The "language" joke was okay once, not five times.

What the hell was Thor doing having a bath while the scientist guy watched? His "vision", sure.. but still, totally random.

Killing Quicksilver was cheap as hell, and unnecessary.

There were some good performances from the cast but honestly I was yawning by the end. There was no character development or plot. Ultron's plan to end the Avengers escelated to destroying the earth because ??? Because that's what the end of the film had to be, saving the earth. Made no sense at all. Just a mess.

Hawkeye's family was pure cheese.. Black Widow essentially calling herself a monster because she's barren? What? Good God. Lots of people can't have kids, terrible dialogue and a really cheap/teenagery way of trying to develop character. Throwing that into a 12s rated film and addressing it so poorly was really ill advised.
    I could probably go on.

I know the film is just released and a lot of people look past the flaws initially, but when the buzz wears off I think this will be deemed one of the worst films of the franchise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

Cap 2 was probably the best surprise of the whole MCU. There was a genuine sense of danger underpinning the whole movie which is actually rare for Marvel movies.

As for The Avengers 2, it is nowhere near the level of entertainment and sheer enjoyability as the first one. I would place it as an average Marvel movie. I liked some of the action sequences, especially the Korean chase. However, the major climatic battle just felt very repetitive - it was very similar to the first one whereby the team kills hundreds of very easily destroyed pawns. However, this time there was no character or soul to the action. It was just carnage for carnage sake. There were no real stand out "wow" moments which made the end battle of the first movie so entertaining. Also, Quicksilver was basically a one trick pony and his method of dispatching his enemies might have been cool the first time we see it, but gets boringly unoriginal very fast (no pun intended).

Some of the best scenes were simple dialog scenes such as the gang sitting around discussing Thor's hammer and especially Banner and Romanov's conversation in the farm house. That latter scene has especially strong writing and acting. Hawkeye was much improved in this movie, and I liked his little pep talk with Scarlet Witch.

As for Ultron himself, I love how he
    just appears as the team is simply sitting around. It was totally unexpected (especially for the characters) and took them off guard. There was a real sense of "WTF" from them.
    . I really can't fault Spader's performance who is quite charismatic, but I feel the character never really has a powerful enough presence in the movie after that initial introduction scene. The spectre of Loki hung over the entire first movie, but Ultron's threat as a villian was never fully realised and was a missed opportunity. His troubled relationship with Stark was teased but never really went anywhere. I feel that should have been the driving force of the plot, just like The Joker's fascination with Batman was vital to The Dark Knight. A more personal approach whereby Ultron's game plan involved toying with Stark (again like The Joker) instead of the cliched
    just destroy the world
    would have been more interesting and engaging. Unfortunately, I feel Whedon focused too much on Ultron's plot and not enough on his character.

As for the humour, definitely not as consistently laugh out loud funny as the first one but I did laugh a few times. The jokes probably has a 50% hit rate for me.

I still consider Iron man 1, The Avengers , Cap 2 and GOTG to be the top tier of MCU so far. The Avengers 2, while often entertaining, is just too messy and lacking that 'spark' that elevated the first one. Ultimately a disappointing lost opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

Okay guys, this is a negative review so don't read if you don't want to hear it, and I'm echoing one or two things already said. I'll spoiler the lot.
    . Black Widow essentially calling herself a monster because she's barren? What? Good God. Lots of people can't have kids, terrible dialogue and a really cheap/teenagery way of trying to develop character. Throwing that into a 12s rated film and addressing it so poorly was really ill advised.
    I could probably go on.

I know the film is just released and a lot of people look past the flaws

I agree with everything you said, although
    I think Black Widow calling herself a monster was because she underwent the procedure the make her sterile in order to make her a more ruthless emotionless killing machine. I don't think she called herself a monster just because she is barren, but rather the reasons she became barren in the first place.

I agree with everything you said, although
    I think Black Widow calling herself a monster was because she underwent the procedure the make her sterile in order to make her a more ruthless emotionless killing machine. I don't think she called herself a monster just because she is barren, but rather the reasons she became barren in the first place.

Ya, I'm aware of that.
    It came across terribly on screen though, you could take it the wrong way easily which just shows poor writing. I think there's a gap between what you rightly inferred and what was actually up there being said. For example, some women undergo procedures for health reasons that mean they can't have kids in future. That doesn't make them ruthless monsters.But then that's the basic logic behind Widow's story. It's not a simple issue and shouldn't have been tacked on. Clunky and ill-advised. You're not wrong, but that scene sure as hell wasn't right.

Edit:
    The poor dialogue, just remembered this one: "If you die, walk it off". Could have been written by a 15 year old trying to sound like a bad ass.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I'd give it a B-/B for its entertainment value, saw it in 2D. It's got Whedon's humour, as you'd expect. The action didn't feel like it particularly dominated proceedings. Hulk (and Banner) was my favourite due to his raw fierceness and the situation with Natasha. Liked Hawkeye, too and the general bickering. the plot is often the weakest element of superhero films, not that I had any specific issues with it.

On the more negative side, as some have already said, the opening CGI wasn't as strong as the rest. James Spader seemed to enjoy himself - but yeah, though Ultron had some menace, it wasn't enough to make him a strong dramatic villain. Nick Fury has less screen time in this outing, that's a positive in my book. The downside is less Cobie Smulders.

It does lag after the
    farmhouse, imo, but not for long. Thought the twins were a little underused at times, though you knew fairly early on that they'd come on side. Also, it was great to see Paul Bettany take physical form.

Neurons firing, indeed.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

My 2c, is that while I enjoyed the film, it had to compared unfavourable in plot development with the original, the characterisation of Winter Soldier and the mad-cap fun that was Guardians of the Galaxy. So worth the time to watch it, I'd not be in a hurry to get the DVD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Edit:
    The poor dialogue, just remembered this one: "If you die, walk it off". Could have been written by a 15 year old trying to sound like a bad ass.

Dialogue spoilers possibly ahead:

The line "If you die, walk it off" was a fairly obvious joke about characters being killed off fairly often in comics only to reappear a short way down the line having been resurrects or whatever. While maybe that didn't hit home with non-comic readers, the film is what it is and is going to pay those types of tributes to the source material.

Dialogue spoilers possibly ahead:

The line "If you die, walk it off" was a fairly obvious joke about characters being killed off fairly often in comics only to reappear a short way down the line having been resurrects or whatever. While maybe that didn't hit home with non-comic readers, the film is what it is and is going to pay those types of tributes to the source material.

Like I said, I fully expect people to defend this movie especially when it's just out and it has a built-in and overly forgiving fan base. The line wasn't clever and it certainly wasn't funny so it doesn't make a joke. Maybe it was just one quip too many for me to process today.

I don't want to get into a tit-for-tat with a comic fan tbh. I'm wrecked after having to sit through that mess :P Off to bed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭OU812

The more I think about this movie the less I like it. Probably the first let down of the MCU. I'm not including the spider-man reboots in there because they're a different studio. They dropped the ball on this one.

OU812 wrote: »
    The more I think about this movie the less I like it. Probably the first let down of the MCU. I'm not including the spider-man reboots in there because they're a different studio. They dropped the ball on this one.
    really have you not seen iron man 2 and 3, cause they were bad, weakest of the franchise by quite a distance,

like i said this isnt as good as the first but its still a solid film, a few tricks and whatnot get overused, its definitely got issues, but like i said a solid film

the question i always ask is how its gonna stands up to repeat viewing, and unlike iron man 2 and 3, im almost certain im gonna rewatch this at some point in the near future,

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

quicksilver
    got over his hatred of american military power, when he saw a flying aircraft carrier
    ?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,472 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

quicksilver
    got over his hatred of american military power, when he saw a flying aircraft carrier
    ?

Yes
    but because they were loading all of his people onto the carrier to escape the floating island.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I think Downey as Iron Man is starting to wain a bit in characterisation. I guess you could say it already started in Iron Man 3. The jokes aren't as funny, his character was quite dumbed down in this I thought too, especially the
    fact it was his fault that Ultron was created, this was never furthered more except for a few 'I am guilty' looks. The Ultron-Iron Man relationship would have been a more interesting storyline than a lot of what they stuck in (Hawkeye's awful family story etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Watched it this evening. It was brilliant! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

I really wanted to like this but bloody helll it was awful. It was actually boring, which is some achievement for a movie with so many big action set pieces. It was just lifeless or something.........Its a disappointment especially considering how good captain America II was.
    Maybe it's a case of too many cooks spoiled the broth???? Dialogue was so bad. Whatever they're paying scarlett johanson it's not enough, she had to say some really awful lines, like cringe worthy stuff between her and mark ruffalo. I take my hat off to the cast though, they did the best they could with a terrible script.
    A bizarre film all in all.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,514 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

really have you not seen iron man 2 and 3, cause they were bad, weakest of the franchise by quite a distance,

Those 2 films were indeed rubbish .
    I personally think the MCU films are overrated ,they are childish ,corny films .I dont understand the huge love for the films and I'd be a big fan of the comics.
    The two darkest films Iron Man and The Incredible Hulk are probably the best ,the Captain America films arent bad but the rest is just by the numbers film making .

I think this article is a very good critique of the MCU
    http://whatculture.com/film/10-problems-marvel-cinematic-universe-nobody-seems-acknowledge.php

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭mark13

The two darkest films Iron Man and The Incredible Hulk are probably the best ,the Captain America films arent bad but the rest is just by the numbers film making.

The first Iron Man movie was horribly corny, a real cringe fest, that Burger King scene being a low point.

Iron Man 3 and Captain America 2 are darker and much better movies in my opinion.

I saw the Avengers 2 last night and really didn't enjoy it, I could try to breakdown my problems with it, but there's no point it just didn't engage me at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,514 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

mark13 wrote: »
    The first Iron Man movie was horribly corny, a real cringe fest, that Burger King scene being a low point.

Iron Man 3 and Captain America 2 are darker and much better movies in my opinion.

I saw the Avengers 2 last night and really didn't enjoy it, I could try to breakdown my problems with it, but there's no point it just didn't engage me at all.

Iron Man 3 dark ,lol,Tony and his panic attacks ,that was laughable to be honest .
    Downey Jnr was really hamming it up.
    That film was shockingly bad .

Iron Man was corny in parts,but it was witty unlike the latter 2 films which were just plain unfunny and irritating.
    Too many corny cheesey one liners .

Captain America 2 is dark for a MCU film but its no where near as dark as previous Marvel films before Disney took over Marvel.
    Disney have their market and they will stick to the same formula .

Advertisement