Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Max Payne 3

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

biggebruv wrote: »
    Finished it good game
    Gonna trade it in
    Anyone know how much store credit gamestop is giving for it right now??

28e plus 25% towards upcoming release.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

Its a good, enjoyable shooter, but its not a Max Payne game. The writing for a start is crap compared to MP2, the tone and setting is all wrong. Max Payne as a washed up drunk just doesnt feel right to me. Its Rockstar jsut doing an impersonation of a Max Payne game. It jsut shows remedy really were the heart soul & brains behind Max and Rockstar are just updating the gameplay a bit and bolting on their usual gritty Heat wannabe knock off story on top of it.
    It IS an enjoyable game, some of the shootouts are fantastic, but it just isnt Max.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Its a good, enjoyable shooter, but its not a Max Payne game. The writing for a start is crap compared to MP2, the tone and setting is all wrong. Max Payne as a washed up drunk just doesnt feel right to me. Its Rockstar jsut doing an impersonation of a Max Payne game. It jsut shows remedy really were the heart soul & brains behind Max and Rockstar are just updating the gameplay a bit and bolting on their usual gritty Heat wannabe knock off story on top of it.
    It IS an enjoyable game, some of the shootouts are fantastic, but it just isnt Max.

I'm a massive fan of the originals also, but those games were set a long time ago now. It's believable that through his grief, Max IS a washed up drunk. I thought the game was superb

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

EnterNow wrote: »

I'm a massive fan of the originals also, but those games were set a long time ago now. It's believable that through his grief, Max IS a washed up drunk. I thought the game was superb

I liked it but got bored of the shootouts towards the last few chapters

It really was
    cutscene
    Straight into shootout
    Cutscene
    Straight into shootout
    Cutscene

Its a good thing the story stayed brutal as hell.

Agreed that it was very cut-scene heavy & found it removes you from the action a lot. Nevertheless, I found it a damned fine game

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

EnterNow wrote: »
    Agreed that it was very cut-scene heavy & found it removes you from the action a lot. Nevertheless, I found it a damned fine game

Agree, I wasn't even going to pick it up hadn't followed it's development pr pre-launch hype but was pleasantly surprised by it, one of the best this year for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭Killinator

I'm not sure why people are so insistent on the cut-scene/shootout,cut-scene/shootout routine being different/worse for the game.

The original Max(which I adored) had you basically go from comic strip to shootout to comic strip to shootout.

It was never going to be a Skyrim type quest filled adventure, its always been about the story and the shootouts, both of which I thought were superb.
    Had it been set in a New York winter for the 3rd time(would have suited me just as fine) you would have just as many people accusing R* of not changing it up enough, that it needed a change of pace or location to freshen it up and keep it relevant.
    Hell after everything that had happened to Max up to 3 you might have expected him to have moved away or put a bullet in his head, the later hinted at more than once throughout 3.

I only hope they release a patch which turns the cut scenes into comic strips like 1 & 2.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

Well I'm coming to the end and that makes me a sad panda.:(

I don't think a game has ever turned it's game up quite like Max Payne3 has.

The same as a few have said here, the game really doesn't get off the ground until you hit the Favella.

I really didn't think i was going to finish it, but what a final third it has been.

The action is outstanding and the story engrossing.

Well done Rockstar on a job well done. This game doesn't pretend to be anything other than what it is.

A balls to the wall, kill every mofo in the room game, and it does it with style.

8.5/10

The reason i'm deducting points is because moving from cutscenes back to the game you have to reselect your weapon. This imo seriously effects the fluidity of the game.

And secondly, in the cutscenes carrying your Assault rifle or shotgun in your hand just looks awkward and clumsy. Would it have been diificult to have Max sling the weapon over his shoulder?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭ gizmo

Just after finishing it and I gotta agree with practically everything weiland79 said above, including the score. It's basically the Hard Boiled of action games as far as I'm concerned, incredibly satisfying combat, great setpieces and excellent direction. Characters and story fit it perfectly and as much as I'm torn over the move away from New York, everything just fits together perfectly when you take the flashbacks into consideration.

Very much disagree with the notion that this isn't a Max Payne game too, after what he went through as a character in the first two games it's absolutely no surprise that he's a washed up drunk and once you come to terms with that, everything else falls into place as far as I'm concerned.

In terms of negatives, they're pretty thin on the ground imo. There's some sketchy physics here and there, rather annoying double vision effect in the earlier chapters, some holes in the script which result in minor bugs and the cutscene weapon switching/breaks can become a slight chore but compared to the positives they don't really affect things too much.

Special mention for the PC version too, it looks utterly fantastic and runs like an absolute dream, certainly the version to go for if you've got a decent machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Anyone else loving the soundtrack of this game?Really enjoying it so far, seems they've taken a few hints from the film "drive".

Especially this one:

Game is a very enjoyable shooter I'll give it that, especially after it goes a bit "breaking bad" half way through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Anyone else loving the soundtrack of this game?Really enjoying it so far, seems they've taken a few hints from the film "drive".

Especially this one:

Game is a very enjoyable shooter I'll give it that, especially after it goes a bit "breaking bad" half way through.

The music towards the end of the game (can't quite remember which level) really reminded me of something John Carpenter would have had on his films in the 80s

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

DrumSteve wrote: »

Especially this one:

When you first enter the deep favela, walking around the street party in the background was playing some kinda of samba music, reminds me of my travels during carnival recently, definitely heard that song out there ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Have to agree with the comments above about the soundtrack, really well done by Rockstar as usual. My favorite has to be the music used in the adverts and also the final level, kicks in at the perfect time as your rampage is kicking up a notch :D

gizmo wrote: »
    Just after finishing it and I gotta agree with practically everything weiland79 said above, including the score. It's basically the Hard Boiled of action games as far as I'm concerned, incredibly satisfying combat, great setpieces and excellent direction. Characters and story fit it perfectly and as much as I'm torn over the move away from New York, everything just fits together perfectly when you take the flashbacks into consideration.

Very much disagree with the notion that this isn't a Max Payne game too, after what he went through as a character in the first two games it's absolutely no surprise that he's a washed up drunk and once you come to terms with that, everything else falls into place as far as I'm concerned.

In terms of negatives, they're pretty thin on the ground imo. There's some sketchy physics here and there, rather annoying double vision effect in the earlier chapters, some holes in the script which result in minor bugs and the cutscene weapon switching/breaks can become a slight chore but compared to the positives they don't really affect things too much.

Special mention for the PC version too, it looks utterly fantastic and runs like an absolute dream, certainly the version to go for if you've got a decent machine.

A pretty much perfect musing on the game, fully agree with all of this.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

As I said earlier, one thing that is missing from Max Payne 3 is the intentional absurdity of the original games, the various TV shows and the hallucinations for example. Remedy, however, seem to have carried these into Alan Wake.

MP3 is a darker grittier, more adult game and is ultimately better for it, IMO. It's still Max Payne, bitter and sardonic to the end.

Rockstar seem intent on telling much more mature stories in their games. RDR, LA Noire and now MP3 all feature excellent voice work and animation to carry this through. What does this mean for GTV V? Will they learn from the blunders of GTA IV?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

Loved the soundtrack myself. Overall a great game.

The Cutscenes/loadscreens are no problem at all on your first playthrough. Granted there are alot of them but i think they're handled very well.

This does become a problem on your 2nd playthrough or becomes worst when you're playing New York Minute. It's horrible to have to sit through what feels likes 2-3 mins of an unskippable cutscene and then if you die in NYM you have to start again from the beginning and watch the same scene again. NYM also shows how little actual gameplay there is in each level but I'm still enjoying it.

As an Arcade challenge mode that supposed to be quick for either score attacks or speed runs it's pretty unfogivable to constantly stop the action for loading.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

DarkJager wrote: »
    as your rampage is kicking up a notch :D

Rampage.......

Sums this game up perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,583 ✭✭✭✭ T. Hanks^

5uspect wrote: »
    As I said earlier, one thing that is missing from Max Payne 3 is the intentional absurdity of the original games, the various TV shows and the hallucinations for example. Remedy, however, seem to have carried these into Alan Wake.

MP3 is a darker grittier, more adult game and is ultimately better for it, IMO. It's still Max Payne, bitter and sardonic to the end.

Rockstar seem intent on telling much more mature stories in their games. RDR, LA Noire and now MP3 all feature excellent voice work and animation to carry this through. What does this mean for GTV V? Will they learn from the blunders of GTA IV?

Just to note TV Shows are in it (Captain Baseball Bat Boy)

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Just to note TV Shows are in it (Captain Baseball Bat Boy)

Yes, but just that one. Lords and Ladies, Dick Justice or Address Unknown are not. In MP3 they are there for mainly legacy reasons. In a similar way to the
    headstone of Vinnie Gognitti in the NJ graveyard

The near constant use of TV shows within the first two games reflecting Max's world is probably a nod to Twin Peaks where the events of the show are similarly turned on their head in a soap called Invitation to Love. Remedy continue this in Alan Wake where Bright Falls is clearly a Twin Peaks type town.

With MP3 Rockstar remove all this post-modernism and replace it with the cold, brutal morning of Max's hangover. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

Just finished it today, really fecking impressed with the job Rockstar has done! I played the first two to death, they were probably the games that hooked me on gaming. While I missed the comic novel look in MP3, and the cut scenes were a bit too regular, the game was really satisfying. The plot was fairly straightforward, but it kind of benefitted from that, rather than the convoluted plots which set the story for the other games. For fans of the first two who claim that they dumbed down this game to reach a wider audience, it's just preposterous as I found it harder than the previous entries, and it required a lot of tactics. Haven't played the multiplayer as I wanted to finish the singleplayer first, if anyone wants a game, my xbox username is the same as my boards one :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭Benzino

Probably asked before, but is there a Boards Crew set up on Rockstar Social Club? If not, we should set one up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,436 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Benzino wrote: »
    Probably asked before, but is there a Boards Crew set up on Rockstar Social Club? If not, we should set one up :)

Yupp, request an invite and I'll send one back.

http://socialclub.rockstargames.com/crew/boards-ie

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Yupp, request an invite and I'll send one back.

http://socialclub.rockstargames.com/crew/boards-ie

Great, I sent an request there, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,436 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Benzino wrote: »
    Great, I sent an request there, thanks!

Sent ya an invite back there (stupid invite system by R*) Once you confirm that, you're in :)

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Sent ya an invite back there (stupid invite system by R*) Once you confirm that, you're in :)

Done, thanks for the invite :)

• Registered Users Posts: 44,881 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

any tips for this? Only at the beginning of the game (chapter 4 i think, trying to escape the apartment block) but finding it a horrid slog already. Takes me a lot of attempts and a lot of luck to get through most sections - going through pills like a junkie!

any tips for this? Only at the beginning of the game (chapter 4 i think, trying to escape the apartment block) but finding it a horrid slog already. Takes me a lot of attempts and a lot of luck to get through most sections - going through pills like a junkie!

Patience, no need to rush through sections
    Take cover, no need to let yourself be shot
    Explore, you'll often find ammo/pills
    Aim, make sure your using shoulder aim
    Shootdodge, use when there's multiple enemies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

Hard slog, but got through the game on Hardcore mode. You think old school is bad? Lemme tell ya, the trophy you get for completing hardcore lives up to its name; 'Payne in the ass'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

This is one of the poorer games I've played in a good while. It was actually infuriating at times. How boring is the main character and his story, very very boring. My god the amount of cut-scenes in this game! Yawn! (normally love cut-scenes).

This game is all style and no substance/soul. And when I say style, I mean a forced, vacuous, annoying style. What's with the stupid writing on the screen?! You know, when they take a few words from every second line in the multitude of cut-scenes and flash them up on the screen... what exactly is that about? Is that meant to be impressive? The words weren't even significant.

Do you know what an amazing skill the enemy AI have in this game? They can tell your existence if you aim the reticule at them, even at the back of the head!!! WHAT THE HELL IS THAT ABOUT??

Another game, another useless f***ing partner (albeit more than 1, various stages).
    What's with the useless partner running out in front of all those people in the graveyard? yes yes, create a diversion - but c'mon literally running out in front of that many people with huge guns leaving them all for me to deal with?!

Do you know what, rockstar/any developer ever, if you make a section in a game hard, then don't design the god-damn game in such a way that when I have to redo that section of the game SEVERAL times I have to watch the preceding cut-scene every time too!!! WTF?!

I hear people criticising games like uncharted for being linear, but my God is this game linear!!!! Can't deviate at all at all. Wouldn't be bad on it's own if the game was interesting and exciting. How about some collectables? Ok ya, how about collecting gold sections of weapons? Eh, no thanks... what use is it to me. How about something more interesting at this stage!

Not that this is a big deal (for most) but this game has it's trophy level set all-wrong!! I found myself 3 hours in (5th chapter of 14) and not a single trophy popped. Even at the beginning of chapter 14 (last chapter) I only had like 5 or 6 trophies! Don't you love games like this... how can we add re playability and longevity into this product?... how about adding some really really hard trophies?! that'll sort that! (as you can see in this popular forum, most people seem to be leaning towards a 9 or 10 out of 10 in rating this games trophy difficulty level http://www.ps3trophies.org/forum/max-payne-3/158257-platinum-difficulty-rating.html)

What's with Max meeting people/friends/partners in the most ridiculous of situations?
    Like the guy in the stripper bar in the slums in the middle of the game.... boy did I laugh my ass off!

Other stuff that is funny/ridiculous:
    After that guy was burned in the tyres, Max says in a cutscene that him and Giovanni lay there for 2 hours?!?!
    I died a million times on that trembling building, as the building collapsed before I could beat the guy at the end... and then when I finally beat it - cue long cut-scene on said collapsing building with Max remaining on building.. LMAO
    Talks to guy in toilet at airport - after cut-scene BOOM the guy evaporates

Some annoying/infuriating practical issues:
    • If you are in a last-man showdown thing and you have no bullets in the chamber there is nothing you can do about it. Cue restart of whole section.
    • If you are in last man standing thing and there is a wall in between you and the guy you need to shoot there is nothing you can do. Cue restart of section.
    • If the AI enemies are partially in cover and you are using the soft aim assist, using L2 VERY regularily aims at the wall
      (for example, the guys on the roof on the trembling building directly before the last 'heavy' appears - there is a wall up to their waist so the auto-aim aims at the wall in front of their legs instead of the top half of their body that is visible!)
    • It's very hard to see where the damn reticule is at times!
    • I was playing a section a few times as I kept failing, and on different playthroughs of the exact same section an object was no longer able to be used as cover, then it was on the next try, then it wasn't again... and so-on
    • Certain situations in this game you simply have to fail first to know how to pass it. I'm looking at you, section after the guy in the tyres on fire.

To finish, no amount of stupid f***ing slow motion bullets to the head will make this game any good, imo.

:mad:

• Advertisement

I take it you've never played a Max Payne game before?
    Or possibly any game before 2003?

Advertisement