Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Kendrick Lamar

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

Paul1979 wrote: »
    Also California Love was meant to be from the Helter Skelter album but Suge stole it when Dre left DR and gave it to 2pac

California Love was on the 'All Eyez On Me' album, released while Dre was still on Death Row? And Dre and Pac shot two music videos together for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Paul1979

got mixed up, cant see me was meant for helter skelter, calif love was for chronic 2

http://dubcnn.com/features/articles/death_rows_greatest_albums_we_never_heard/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Mr. Rager wrote: »
    Anyone only listen to this today for the first time?

I haven't listened to it at all yet. I have a stream here that I'll play over the next while and see what it's like.

I was listening to a few tunes from Section.80 on the train home today and I was blown away for the umpteenth time. "Rigamortis" is a sick tune.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Mr. Rager

The Heart pt.3 gave me serious chills today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

The more i listen to this album the more i like it.

cant remember teh track names but track 1-3 plus peer pressure and rise i love the most so far.

been listening to it while working out in the GYM and the backstage freestyle song i believe is called is a perfect fit for a gym workout song.

Its better the Nas's current album now imo. This guy intelligent with his hooks and rhymes.

for his next album though i would love for him to spit about stuff outside the compton hood. maybe speak about real life issues etc etc like section 80.

he has a brigth future and IMO a timbo beat would fit perfectly for this guy.

Backstage freestyle actually sounds like an old school timbo beat

Backstage Freestyle is so much better once it is played along with the whole album, when I heard it first when it leaked I couldn't believe KL was rapping about bitches and money but it now makes sense in conjunction with the overall theme of GKMC.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

Backstage Freestyle is so much better once it is played along with the whole album, when I heard it first when it leaked I couldn't believe KL was rapping about bitches and money but it now makes sense in conjunction with the overall theme of GKMC.

exactly. the beat is amazing. very TIMBOish

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Oleg Luzhny

After my first listen I wasn't that mad about the album, but after listening to it more and more over the last few days, I now love it.

Here's some really good analysis of GKMC:

http://www.kanyetothe.com/forum/index.php?topic=313845.0

And this is the website of the guy that wrote it:

http://www.theshirker.com/viewpost.php?id=1183

And here's Kendrick talking about the meaning behind the album title:

Swimming Pools Remix featuring Jay Rock, Ab-Soul & ScHoolboy Q:

http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/singles/id.22450/title.kendrick-lamar-f-jay-rock-ab-soul-schoolboy-q-swimming-pools-remix

And finally, the iTunes bonus track:

http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/singles/id.22442/title.kendrick-lamar-collect-calls

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

Anyone only listen to this today for the first time?

Only got it on iTunes this morning. Listened to 3 or 4 songs on the way to the gym.

It seems like it will be a grower, it has a very unconventional sound. I think it will take a minute to appreciate the style and sound of the album. Promising though.

As some have sound, it's very much an album rather than a collection of sounds. Each song seems like it will have to be judged as part of the whole rather than in isolation.

Also, only read one review so far (hiphopdx which I generally find to be very reliable) has made comparisons to illmatic (in quality Not style). Seemingly others have as well.

While evidently not to everybody's taste, some of the early write offs seem to have been premature.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭horsebox09

I think I'm already able to call this better than Section.80

Everything on the album blends so well; every verse, every skit, every hook, every beat, even the album cover(s) has a meaning to it once you get the story of the album

The amount of different viewpoints Kendrick raps in throughout the story is incredible, on Sing About Me/Dying of Thirst he's rapping from 4 different perspectives :eek:.

And the way he raps from the perspective of the killer on Dying of Thirst gives me chills-one of the best things I've ever heard

This is one of the best hiphop debut albums since the '90s

TweetMe!?! wrote: »

Here's some really good analysis of GKMC:

http://www.kanyetothe.com/forum/index.php?topic=313845.0

And this is the website of the guy that wrote it:

http://www.theshirker.com/viewpost.php?id=1183

That's a brilliant explanation. Now I can't wait to get home from work and listen to the whole album straight through from start to finish.

I'm kind of disappointed I got the deluxe version now. The bonus tracks don't fit the narrative.

And from first listen that Mary J Blige track sounds kind of cheesy. Which is par for the course for any Mary J assisted track since the late 90s.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/17253-good-kid-maad-city/

Turns out the Lady Gaga track is on there... She's the moany woman in "Bitch Dant Kill My Vibe" !! haha

While I wouldn't give it a 9.5 like Pitchfork have, I do absolutely love the album. It gets better every time, you find something new you missed the last listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Oleg Luzhny

There's a bit of confusion around "Bitch, Don't Kill My Vibe" but Kendrick has cleared it up here, saying that the song was originally meant to feature Lady Gaga but that in the end, it just didn't work out and that she isn't on the song.

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1696064/lady-gaga-kendrick-lamar-dont-kill-my-vibe-maad-city.jhtml

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Swimming Pools is such a great song.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

Like said above it does seem to grow with every listen. I still don't think it has a patch on section 80, the story behind section 80 was genius so much depth and substance to it.

The album slightly more commercial, still has a few duds backseat freestyle stands out like a sore thumb.

References to 50 and game i like a lot, i know him and Q were big fans of them when they were younger. His verse about the game on black boy fly is class.

Also has Lamar had a brother that passed away? There might be some references about it on sing about me, also his explanation of section 80 on the same track is nice.

Like said above it does seem to grow with every listen. I still don't think it has a patch on section 80, the story behind section 80 was genius so much depth and substance to it.

The album slightly more commercial, still has a few duds backseat freestyle stands out like a sore thumb.

References to 50 and game i like a lot, i know him and Q were big fans of them when they were younger. His verse about the game on black boy fly is class.

Also has Lamar had a brother that passed away? There might be some references about it on sing about me, also his explanation of section 80 on the same track is nice.

Man I'm not really feeling this "commercial" vibe you're getting from it, it definitely sounds very different to S80 but commercial? Maybe a tad so, but not worth talking about.

Absolutely love Sing About Me, favourite song on the album. Love the way he raps from three different perspectives on it. Love that new intro on The Art of Peer Pressure too, better than the actual song almost! :p

One thing I wish I hadn't done was to listen to the leaked songs (The Art of Peer Pressure, Backseat Freestyle and Poetic Justice) before I got to sit down and listened to it full through. Think I would've had a even better first experience.

And one thing I wish Kendrick did was to put Cartoons and Cereal somewhere on the album. It's early days but I'd give the album a steady 8.5 with potential to raise that score over time.

Really not picking up the commercial vibe either.

Been trying to put the album onto my iPod for the last half an hour. I think it's after messing up my iTunes.

I don't think I'm gonna be able to load it up.

Not a great start Lamar. Minus 3 out of 10 for this annoyance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Just after loading it onto my iPod (… Mac …) and it is 90 mins running time and if I get the earlier bus I should be able to listen to it before I get into work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭LUPE

After listening to it about ten times non-stop I can say it is easily the best album since MBDTF

Been trying to put the album onto my iPod for the last half an hour. I think it's after messing up my iTunes.

As in trying to burn it from a disc onto your iTunes? This is a nightmare with any CD, blame the idiots at Apple.

PrettyBoy wrote: »
    As in trying to burn it from a disc onto your iTunes? This is a nightmare with any CD, blame the idiots at Apple.

Ha no just trying to get it from the iTunes onto my iPod. I think it was just the connection. Have it sorted now.

Gonna listen to some of it now and more on the train tomorrow. I've heard a few tracks already but didn't pay much attention to them.

Huh?

I can't see anything commercial about this, except perhaps Poetic Justice. Which would has a very 90s feel. I don't know if it eould achieve much radio success today.

As for the "story" on Section.80, it has nothing on this. Section.80 had a theme. GKMC has a single narrative told through each sons on the album.

Now that I know the context I actually really like Back Street Freestyle. It's a lot cleverer than it seems when heard in isolation. He really paints a picture of a naive immature rapper really well, and lines like "all my life I want money in power" or "damn I got bitches" gain a whole new meaning in the context of the song. The references to Martins dream versus Kendrick's dream show how far off course he was then.

Cartoons and Cereal could actually have fit in really to the early part of the album.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Paul1979

brilliant review from BIG GHOSTFACE CHRONICLES, he rips the ****e out of Drake...comedy gold

http://bigghostnahmean.blogspot.ie/2012/10/big-ghost-presentsthe-good-kid-maad.html

Finally was able to listen to it in full last night, from start to finish. First I have to say that this is not a commercial album, I don't understand how anyone could even suggest that it is.

The album is sequenced perfectly, it flows perfectly and, while I usually find skits annoying, I can live with them on this. I've only got the chance to listen to it in full once so far, I'll give a more detailed review in a few days but as of now there isn't a single song on it that I don't like. Current fave is probably 'Sing About Me, I’m Dying of Thirst', just brilliant.

As for the comparisons to Section.80, Kendrick himself said months ago that the album will sound absolutely nothing like Section.80 so I can't understand the disappointment there either.

Like everything Kendrick releases, it takes a little while to grow on you but after one listen I'm very impressed.

I didn't even find it a grower. I liked it pretty much instantly. It's definitely better than Nas' album anyway, in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭horsebox09

I'm in the crowd that doesn't see this as commercial album at all, it's actually even less accessible than Section.80, imo

It's two main singles, The Recipe and Swimming Pools, are either left off the album entirely, or extended by two minutes.
    A 12 minute track, (how many of these are on any rap album, never mind a commercial album?) extended skits on virtually every track, and I read somewhere that the average track-length is 5.50 minutes, and that's not even talking about the album's content

I know that mufcbhoy is one of the biggest Kendrick fans on here, so hopefully the album grows on him some more :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Honestly I didn't like it at all when I heard the leak, but in the context of the rest of the album I like it a lot more.
    LUPE wrote: »
    After listening to it about ten times non-stop I can say it is easily the best album since MBDTF

Agreed. I'm gonna say it's my favourite album since Distant Relatives. Can't stop listening to it, and I'm not a big album guy, I don't often listen to a full release back to finish, in fact I never do that, but I have done the full 90 with GKMC at least 7 times. Can't get enough of it.

Advertisement