Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Chillout Zone (Off-Topic Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Happy birthday phoe!

I'm trying to come up with my next tattoo.. I know I want cat paw prints but my parents are paying for it as my 21st birthday present so I want to do something a bit more elaborate... But i already have a cat tattoo! It's tough being a crazy cat lady who loves tattoos!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I saw a lady in Camden market in London with tiny paw prints going up her ear, looked really good, i thought at first it was small studs getting smaller as they went up her ear.

Lying in bed wondering if I'll ever get to sleep and also how good is my roof!
    Even the dogs wouldn't go out for a walk this evening :D that's incredibly rare event!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Whispered wrote: »
    How does your apartment smell today :p
    It's Phoes birthday today. 3 years old. :)
    Happy Birthday Phoe...that was a DEADLY cake!!! Lucky doggies :p

Apartment (after a rake load of cleaning) smells much better. Although i think im immune now :D . Having friends around on sat..so they've been told to tell me what the gaff smells like haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

anniehoo wrote: »
    Apartment (after a rake load of cleaning) smells much better. Although i think im immune now :D . Having friends around on sat..so they've been told to tell me what the gaff smells like haha.

I think we all get immune to the smell of our pets. That's why you have to keep on top of it all the fecking time. It doesn't matter if the floor *looks* clean, it needs to be washed anyway. :rolleyes: Worst thing about pets is the cleaning.

Imagine a pet who cleaned after itself!

Does anybody know the things you wear when horse riding instead of riding boots. They're like leg wraps to protect you, they go around the lower leg.

What are they called?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Whispered wrote: »
    I think we all get immune to the smell of our pets. That's why you have to keep on top of it all the fecking time. It doesn't matter if the floor *looks* clean, it needs to be washed anyway. :rolleyes: Worst thing about pets is the cleaning.

Imagine a pet who cleaned after itself!

Does anybody know the things you wear when horse riding instead of riding boots. They're like leg wraps to protect you, they go around the lower leg.

What are they called?

Think they're called half chaps?

It's tortuous going out in this weather. I've got the washing machine going full time with clothes and towels. At this stage even my waterproofs don't feel waterproof any more. I've just let everybody out for a wee and they all scuttled back in, maybe they won't want to go for a walk today:o.

I'm immune to the smell myself but sometimes a bit of febreze works wonders!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

We taught Darcey at some point last year (OK, my wife did) to give the paw. Took her while because of the balance issues but she got there in the end.

Inadvertently though we made her associate it with very high-value treats. She doesn't really do it for a bit of her kibble, but for a piece of cheese or a rawhide chew she has lifted her paw before you can even say it to her. The odd time when you're sitting down eating peanuts (she *loves* peanuts), she'll put her paw up on your leg to try get some, but she then gets sent to bed for begging.

She hates rain. Goes into a blind panic searching for shelter when it happens. I got dragged into a hair salon one day when the heavens opened and she saw the open door. Couldn't get her to leave until it stopped raining. So after I dragged her outside in the torrential rain to pee last night, she literally sprinted into the sitting room and into her bed feeling really sorry for herself. When I walked into the sitting room after her, she got a really worried look on her face and started lifting her paw at me. She wouldn't put it down till I gave her a cuddle.

The only thing we could think is that she was trying to say, "Please don't bring me outside again" and was bringing out her big gun to try and convince me. Heartbreaking :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

Sigh, my house reeeeeks of wet dog. I thought he might refuse to go out, but pfft, turns out he's not a GSD at all, but part duck. A side note: I've NEVER seen the Phoenix Park as wet as it was this morning, sections of the gallops under some serious water.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

I got out this morning at around 6 while it was still dry, it started to pour just after we got back!

I think I'm going to have to get a coat for Jess as she looks so uncomfortable when she gets wet - she stops and tried to shake herself off every few steps, poor thing. Not sure how I'm going to manage a harness and a coat together though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

Not sure how I'm going to manage a harness and a coat together though.

Is it just the regular harness? I got coats from ZooPlus which have a small opening on the coat for the harness attachment 'rings' to go through.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,020 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Our front attach fits fine over this one - http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/dogs/dog_clothing/waterproof/274291
    I already had a coat but DBB told me about this one and I managed to get it on offer in the Jan sale. :D. My friend (afraid of t'internet) got me to order one for her setter - the 65cm one fits both of them nicely.

• Advertisement

Just been to visit my little orphan kittens earlier and argh oh my god they are just sooooooooo cute! They are kittens now as opposed to little furry aliens! They are so adorable I need to keep dude!!! If anyone knows of any top quality homes looking for a kitten let me know, too much work has gone into these babies to allow them to go to just anyone :)

Shelly beating up Dude!!

shellydude_zps9ebba5cf.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

tk123 wrote: »
    Our front attach fits fine over this one - http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/dogs/dog_clothing/waterproof/274291
    I already had a coat but DBB told me about this one and I managed to get it on offer in the Jan sale. :D. My friend (afraid of t'internet) got me to order one for her setter - the 65cm one fits both of them nicely.

That coat looks great! Now I'll probably have to get two so they match. :D Jess doesn't walk with a front attach harness, so I'll have to see if the back attach ring fits through the space for the lead. If not I can just get her a front attach piece for her perfect fit harness.

Paultf, can you remember which one you got on zooplus that worked with a harness?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

seamus wrote: »
    When I walked into the sitting room after her, she got a really worried look on her face and started lifting her paw at me. She wouldn't put it down till I gave her a cuddle.

The only thing we could think is that she was trying to say, "Please don't bring me outside again" and was bringing out her big gun to try and convince me. Heartbreaking :D

My daughter has taught the small dog to say please, when tickling her belly if you stop and tell her to say please she puts her paws together and smiles, its so funny, but she also tries it when there's something she doesn't want to do:rolleyes:
    Smart little buggers aren't they:D

That coat looks great! Now I'll probably have to get two so they match. :D Jess doesn't walk with a front attach harness, so I'll have to see if the back attach ring fits through the space for the lead. If not I can just get her a front attach piece for her perfect fit harness.

Paultf, can you remember which one you got on zooplus that worked with a harness?

I just put the harness on over the coat - if the coat is thin the harness will fit over no probs. I have an xtradog waterproof harness so similar to yours except ours has front and back attaches.

Here he is last week :rolleyes:

246109.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

Mine are similar to tk123 i.e. high-vis. I bought 3 of these for my dogs - mainly for the reflector strips for walking during the winter evening's. They fit well and keeps them warm & dry. Sometimes I only attach the coat with the front and middle strap but there is also a elastic strap at the back for putting each of your dog's leg through to give an even closer fitting.

(From the photos on ZooPlus you'll see that the coat extends over the back of the dog's neck - makes them look like count dracula. :) But this can be folded back.)

www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/dogs/dog_clothing/high_viz_clothing/reflective_vests/198336

paultf wrote: »
    (From the photos on ZooPlus you'll see that the coat extends over the back of the dog's neck - makes them look like count dracula. :) But this can be folded back.)

I've gotten a couple off zooplus and they have collars like that too lol :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Dunny

486304_634785089868423_1391548319_n.jpg

Dunny wrote: »
    486304_634785089868423_1391548319_n.jpg

:( I saw a prong collar last week - the dog is only a small beagle cross!! Next time I see them I'm going to tell them they can tell me mind my own business if they want but suggest alternatives. They were walking out the gate of the park as I walked in so couldn't really say anything.

I am an complete and utter shock. My dad agreed to let me keep dude!!!!! I cannot believe it. I am so so happy. When I was asking him I was sweating I was so nervous, and he just said we'll see, so I didn't push it any further, then he just said he can be your birthday present!!! Aaah I cannot believe it!!! 2 weeks and he will be mine :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Ahh that is wonderful, I'm delighted for you, and Dude:)

• Advertisement

Ive gotten a quote for behaviour lessons for Lola, 85 for the first and 35 for the second. Is that alot?

Dunny wrote: »
    Ive gotten a quote for behaviour lessons for Lola, 85 for the first and 35 for the second. Is that alot?

Do you mean obedience lessons or an actual behaviourist? If it's a behaviourist they should be listed on adpt.ie..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I was on the way to Galway yesterday and I saw a car parked at the side of the road on the motorway. One of the doors was open and a woman was bent down,I had a good look at her in case something was wrong and I couldn't believe what I saw. She'd let 2 big dogs go for a run in a field, literally metres from a flock of sheep. I was horrified,it isn't like there's a shortage of empty fields down that way and it could have ended horribly if the dogs had gone after the sheep and lambs.

Well I'm having a very eventful evening!

One of the dogs I'm minding at the moment was rescued while in pup. Her new owners were told by the vets that she probably had 3-4 weeks left (this was the middle of last week). So they had their easter hols booked and checked with me and I said, yep, no problem, I'll mind her. I've looked after their other two dogs previously for them so they're happy with my care.

So today started with Sheba not eating her breakfast. Not too unusual, she's not taken at all with the puppy kibble as she had a few weeks of being raw fed before vet confirmed the pups and insisted they switch to kibble. At around 2.30 we brought everybody except Sheba to the beach as there's no way I would take her for too energetic a walk. I had planned to take her for a gentle stroll later this afternoon. Got back to the house at around 4pm and she had piddled on the floor. She went straight out to the kennels and got into a bed I've seen her in before but never thought too much about it as she's never stayed outside, always inside. I fed everybody, called her in but she wouldn't come, brought her food out but again she wasn't interested and seemed restless. Thought that maybe something might be happening but then thought, no, it's too early for the pups.

Around 5.30pm I checked on her and she was restless and panting, it sort of confirmed my suspicions and I went and said it to himself - by the time I went straight back to the kennels she had had pup number 1!

I rang the owners, god love them, they rescue this poor girl, find out she's in pup, get reassurance that they're not due for a while from the vets (although neither they nor the shelter they got the dog from knew when she had mated) and then it happens when they do go away.

After too long a wait I rang the vet and I brought her in for a shot of oxytocin to speed things along. It had been just over 3 hours since she delivered pup number 1, even though she wasn't distressed - I was worried. So off we head to the vets and just as we got into town I heard a new cry - she delivered number 2! Vet gave her an examination and the shot and then she delivered number 3 on the way home! I'm thinking at this stage she doesn't need the drugs but the motion of the car seems to get her going!

So at least when I got home I brought her into the house rather than the kennels. It's grand and cosy out there but just too far away from me tonight. So she's now tucked up in the dining room with her (so far) 3 pups and I'm typing away here at the table. She's a GSD so there may well be a couple more on the way so I think I'm in for a long night. The vet is ringing me around 11 and I have her mobile in case of emergency.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Awwwwwwww. Hope all the pups arrive safely and they and mum do well. keep the kettle boiling, sounds like you'll need lots of coffee tonight.

Number 4 safely delivered. Something I never asked the vet - how do you know when she's done? She's very relaxed and very slow about the whole thing.

And now there's 5.

And now there's 6. But no6 is very small, much smaller than everybody else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

How are mum and pups this morning? Is number 6 ok?

Morning! Mum and 6 pups are doing great this morning. She hasn't eaten much though (she never does) a small bowl last night and a few mouthfuls this morning.

No 6 while small is not weak, he managed to latch on last night and is holding his own with his siblings. He burrows in and finds his way. I spoke to the vet this morning and she's going to give me some puppy milk just in case he weakens.

I'm knackered though:o

• Advertisement

Ah saw the pics on FB!! Well done on the delivery :D I assumed it was a foster - not a boarder lol!! What a beautiful GSD too!

Well we had a lovely walk this morning in St. Anne's (first time there) on our quest to find the "dog park" which was meh - he had more fun playing in the stream. BUT he slipped coming out of the stream and seemed grand - no limps etc..brought him back for another play in the dog area as more dogs had arrived and it wasn't until he was trotting around (and 5-10 mins had passed) that I saw his swollen black eye!! :eek: His eyelid is all grazed - swelling is gone down so I cleaned it to be safe and will keep an eye (excuse the pun) on it and see what happens - luckily the vet is open all weekend and it's the nice vet too who he doesn't give out to - I know all their cars lol :D My poor baba!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement