Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

SUSI Application for 15/16

Options
  • 22-01-2015 6:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I called SUSI asking about the grant criteria "Estranged from Parents" as my parents no longer support me and I moved out. Im supporting myself from my current grant "Dependant from parents"

They said I have to be legally estranged from them meaning I'd be needing Garda statement reports and/r HSE statements to be able to fall in the criteria which in my case I am not.

*Now my friend recommended me to say "None applicable" for both my parents on my online application form for 15/16. But if I do so (or if even I'm able to do that) what kind of supporting documents would they ask me?? *

They do not support me at all, no money coming in from them. Would they ask for my own income?

Oh and I am in 1st Year, coming in to 2nd sem.

Need help asap! Thank you :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭kaki

Hi Denise,

If you started off as a Dependent Student, SUSI will classify you as such for the remainder of your studies even if your own circumstances change.

Furthermore, irregardless of your relationship with/support received from your parents, until you reach the age of 23 they are deemed to be financially responsible for you and your education (I don't necessarily agree with this and was caught out myself - ended up having to defer 3rd level until I was old enough to be classified as a mature student and judged on my own income - but such is the way of it).

They do have an appeals process with regards to the above two points - however they do require the documents as you outlined from HSE/Gardai regarding estrangement. I don't know the details of your own situation, but for example, a moral objection of your parents towards contributing financially to your chosen course would not be considered estrangement. So even if you select "non applicable" eventually SUSI will look for details of your parents income as you are still technically Dependent on them, unless estrangement can be proven.

Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 denisekyle

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Sup08

denisekyle wrote: »
    *Now my friend recommended me to say "None applicable"

SUSI would request evidence of Guardianship if you have not submitted your parent(s) details.

Estrangement is classified as your relationship being irreconcilable between you and your parents/legal guardians and were the Gardaí and/or the HSE has been involved in your case of estrangement.
    In the case of a person estranged under the age of 18, they may have been appointed a social care worker and may have been taken into care. With a person over 18 (technically independent from the care of the HSE), they would need a Garda report (not a letter from a member of the Gardaí), as evidence that the relationship is irreconcilable and the person has become estranged.

Advertisement