Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Gambler (Mark Wahlberg Remake)

Options
  • 22-10-2014 11:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 84,995 ✭✭✭✭

Getting a December US release in time for Oscar race so Mark Wahlberg and Jessica Lange could get nominations

I haven't seen the original with James Caan but it is good to see Mark taking on a different type of role to his recent past action/comedy outings, he seems less muscly and build up too for this role

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

46% on Rotten Tomatoes and mixed reviews so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,243 ✭✭✭✭Victor

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    [link]NiiaoUnkMvQ[/link]
    There are several trailers. This is the one I saw: The Gambler - Official Red Band Teaser (HD)

I saw the film on Friday. I hadn't realised it was a remake.

Some good performances from Wahlberg, Goodman, Williams and Larson. We only see Lange occasionally. Wahlberg needs a haircut. Larson wears too much make-up, but hey, she plays a college student. Goodman needs to put his clothes back on.

I didn't like it as much as the formula says I should have. I think perhaps because there are too many (but not a huge number) side characters and not enough development of the relationships with them. Additionally, it is difficult to fully understand the main protagonists' motivations and I'm not sure they are resolved, certainly they aren't resolved clearly. Maybe I missed something.
    I have a theory. Jim (Wahlberg) doesn't exist, he is a character in Amy's (Larson) college assignment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Well I very much enjoyed it. Mainly cos the story didn't go quite the direction the trailers were suggesting, although the destination was the same. Wahlberg <3

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

Really liked this, definitly different to what I expected, loved his attitude throughout the whole movie and the end was surprisingly satisfying and made sense!

Advertisement