Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How good is TCD computer science? Is NUI maynooth as good?

Options
  • 13-01-2015 9:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

It's all in the title.

-Did you enjoy/are you enjoying doing cs at tcd?
    -For graduates, did you get the job you wanted (and what degree type did you have?)
    -Are the lecturers and the course of a good standard?
    -How are the facilities at tcd, especially those related to cs?
    -Please be sure to mention if you are doing the course, or when you had finished.

-You might not know this, but is the cs course at NUI maynooth of a similar standard?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ScoobyTales

In 2nd Year CS
    - CS is great, but you have to be a certain type of person to make the most of it. (problem solver, etc.) The dropout rate is very high due to this. If your considering it, you probably know this already.
    - Haven't graduated, but the vast majority leave college with a very well paying job lined up. You graduate with an internationally recognised degree. Its a BA (Mod) Computer Science. Students are highly regarded and sought after.
    - The majority of lecturers are great and approachable, although we probably we the maths lecturers have been a little substandard.
    - Facilities are great. **** ton of Linux, Mac and Windows labs. Would be nice to have a common room though. The CS society have a decent room to compensate.

- Im also from Maynooth, so I know a fair bit about the course and NUIM. The normal CS course is treated as a choice when studying science. You can take Biology and CS. Its not 100% CS like everywhere else. They do have a Computational Thinking course, which is meant to be superb. Highest Maths requirements in the country and its a mixture of CS, Maths, and Psych. Never suited me, but it should be considered. Also is a 3 year course. CS here and Computational Thinking probably compete for the best CS course in the country, with Comp Thinking probably slightly edging out.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Saskatchewan

-I'm a first year pure CS student and overall I'd have to say it's a pretty good course. Some modules are pretty boring, but that's the same in every course I think. It's not a requirement of the course, but there is a lot of Physics in the course. I didn't do physics which is a bit of a set back. If you have a genuine interest in computers and are willing to put a bit of effort in, the TCD course is very good.
    - Most of the lectures are very good and quite helpful.
    - As was said before the facilities are good, loads of labs with computers, missing a big common room, the computer science society room is quite small and usually very busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭romakarol

Thanks for the replies. Good to hear both courses are good, though the having to do science along with cs in maynooth sounds like a bit of a letdown. Is there a lot of these science modules involved, as a percentage of the total?

Advertisement