Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online Grant Application For 13/14 Is Now Open..

• 18-05-2013 10:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I'm sure you're all aware by now but I just thought I'd start a thread to inform folk that you can now apply for a grant over on www.grantsonline.ie for the 13/14 student year.

Best of luck! Hopefully it isn't as much as mess as last year :-)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,538 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Hi all, I'm sure you're all aware by now but I just thought I'd start a thread to inform folk that you can now apply for a grant over on www.grantsonline.ie for the 13/14 student year.

Best of luck! Hopefully it isn't as much as mess as last year :-)

It look like SUSI are starting the process early and this is a good sign - however I don't think the Grants Scheme rules for 2013/2014 have been signed by Ruairi Quinn yet

They are not in the list of statutory instruments yet

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2013/statutory.html

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭MarkyMark22

It look like SUSI are starting the process early and this is a good sign - however I don't think the Grants Scheme rules for 2013/2014 have been signed by Ruairi Quinn yet

They are not in the list of statutory instruments yet

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2013/statutory.html

That's interesting, will there be any consequences because of that?

I don't think the applications were supposed to open until today but I checked on the website on Thursday/Friday and it was open to apply.

I finished my application already so hopefully I don't have to redo it or anything.

That's interesting, will there be any consequences because of that?

I don't think the applications were supposed to open until today but I checked on the website on Thursday/Friday and it was open to apply.

I finished my application already so hopefully I don't have to redo it or anything.

The consequences are that they can't start assessing the applications and telling people what documents they need until it is signed off. The changes could be significant this year as well because I think capital assets duch as farms will be means tested for the first time ever.

Generally for the last few years the statutory instrument has been signed early to mid june so it should really be signed in about 2/3 weeks

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

The consequences are that they can't start assessing the applications and telling people what documents they need until it is signed off. The changes could be significant this year as well because I think capital assets duch as farms will be means tested for the first time ever.

Generally for the last few years the statutory instrument has been signed early to mid june so it should really be signed in about 2/3 weeks

Was it wise to open it early then? Maybe just going to be a build up of applications if they can't assess them until it is signed off..

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭nagel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Ciara_MoloneyPT

Hi everyone,

I have half on my application complete but keep getting 'An Error Occured' on the parents section. I rang susi about 2 hours ago and they said there is a technical glitch with that section..

This come up for anyone else? As I have inputted all fields correctly.

Hi everyone,

I have half on my application complete but keep getting 'An Error Occured' on the parents section. I rang susi about 2 hours ago and they said there is a technical glitch with that section..

This come up for anyone else? As I have inputted all fields correctly.

I did mine on Thursday or Friday and I didn't have any problems at all. I did mine on an ipad however.

I did mine on Thursday or Friday and I didn't have any problems at all. I did mine on an ipad however.

Thanks for replying, I reckon it's probably a glitch due to crowding on the network possibly hopefully will be sorted later tonight as its a reassesment lets hope it isnt as stressful as last year.

Thanks for replying, I reckon it's probably a glitch due to crowding on the network possibly hopefully will be sorted later tonight as its a reassesment lets hope it isnt as stressful as last year.

I think it was announced that the application system would be open today but when I checked last week it was open, so I just applied there and then. Maybe I got in ahead of the pack.

I'm hoping its not too much stress, I've already started gathering my forms and stuff just to be ready ASAP so there's no delays. Have you started gathering your info or?

I'd say you prob did and hence why there are technical error messages today. Yeah I have actually want to be ready even though I was in early last year too I didnt get paid till April :O

My circumstances havn't changed so surely that speeds things up since we are not new applicants. Thoughts?

• Advertisement

I'd say you prob did and hence why there are technical error messages today. Yeah I have actually want to be ready even though I was in early last year too I didnt get paid till April :O

My circumstances havn't changed so surely that speeds things up since we are not new applicants. Thoughts?

I am a new applicant :(.

I'm only eligible for a fee grant because I will receive back to education allowance from social welfare, so I guess all I have to worry about is getting the letter stating I have been approved so i can give it to the college administration.

Which college are you attending?

I am a new applicant :(.

I'm only eligible for a fee grant because I will receive back to education allowance from social welfare, so I guess all I have to worry about is getting the letter stating I have been approved so i can give it to the college administration.

Which college are you attending?

Ah okay, Im in College in Limerick. With a bit of luck we'll get sorted anyways :)

Thanks for speedy reply. Laters :)

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭computer44

I think it will run into trouble again this year, especially if yours parents are self-employed and have assets. Ruari seems hell bent on looking at farmer's assets this year, if your relying on the PAYE system or social welfare I wouldn't think there will be a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭computer44

I would think that with austerity and the Croke Park deal, they will be 200-300 million shy. This years grant system will be just trying the same old same. Give them enough doc's to fill out, question there parents income and a few docs they cannot find, it will getting rid off 10.000 students. But it is really the disadvantaged kids that suffer, because they do not really have the access to the 3k to meet their fees.

Promise

It will a long time waiting

Ruari,

Budgets to shut, and students to suffer, Irish students will always remember this.

Thats why Irish students are going to the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

Posts on renewals moved to this thread, hopefully all renewal issues can be kept to one thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭ramonarosie

I Know this is probably a really stupid question but I'm just so scared that I 'm gonna make a mistake like last year! I've completed my grant form and at the bottom it says valadate application, does that mean you're submitting it or what cuz I'm only 84% done? Confused!
    Also sorry for the spelling mistakes!

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭ramonarosie

I emailed SUSI this earlier and they never got back to me, just wondering would anyone out there know any of the answers?

I am applying for a grant for college in 2014 and I just have a few questions:

I done my leaving cert in 2013 and took a year out so from Jan 2014 would the best word to describe me be unemployed? (A16)
    I deffered my course from 2014 but they want to know have I Accepted it, should I say yes or no? (C3)
    I applied for a grant in 2013 but I never went to college then and when applying this year I was told to use a different email address. Now they want to know have I Applied for a grant before. Yes or no? (C5)
    When you're talking about dependants do you include yourself? (E1)
    In August 2013 my mums social welfare payments changed from One Parent Family to Job Seekers Allowence. Do I include that in permenant change in circumstances in relation to reckonable income? (F16)

I Know some of these are kinda obvious but I just do not want to make a mistake! :/
    Cheers: )

Ring SUSI helpdesk and ask

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭scottp68877

Im having a bit of trouble filling out the grant. It is asking me if i Have a plc qualification but I have not received my results yet. The question is:What is the highest level of qualification that you have attained in Further or Higher Education? (NFQ or equivalent). It doesnt have a section for saying your have not received results yet. Will I put down that I have a PLC level 5?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Clodagh19

Hello, im actually writing on behalf of my boyfriend.

its to do with the application obviously. He, as of early this year, is in no communication whatsoever with his parents, he was actually kicked out of the house. So hes living on his own on his own income in Waterford city. The problem is he is only 19 and in the eyes of SUSI he is dependent on his parents.

I know he can put down he is "estranged" from both of them. But it said they look for garda proof or social worker etc, but he doesn't have that. However, we could prove it. He is on the housing list, through the Simon Community. He also is on file in St Vincent De Paul as he was basically homeless for a few weeks, couch hoping from my house to others.

Would any of these work? Any time we ring SUSI they don't seem to help? I know he could write down this information about his situation in the "change of circumstances" are but I just want to know if it'd work? should we put it down as Estranged and would we be able to proove it that way?

please help!

• Advertisement

Clodagh19 wrote: »
    Hello, im actually writing on behalf of my boyfriend.

its to do with the application obviously. He, as of early this year, is in no communication whatsoever with his parents, he was actually kicked out of the house. So hes living on his own on his own income in Waterford city. The problem is he is only 19 and in the eyes of SUSI he is dependent on his parents.

I know he can put down he is "estranged" from both of them. But it said they look for garda proof or social worker etc, but he doesn't have that. However, we could prove it. He is on the housing list, through the Simon Community. He also is on file in St Vincent De Paul as he was basically homeless for a few weeks, couch hoping from my house to others.

Would any of these work? Any time we ring SUSI they don't seem to help? I know he could write down this information about his situation in the "change of circumstances" are but I just want to know if it'd work? should we put it down as Estranged and would we be able to proove it that way?

please help!

Have you asked SUSI what documentary evidence they require to prove he is estranged?

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

Hi i am having a little trouble with susi this year. I am renewal applicant going into second year. I got the grant last year, but this year it has been refused. They said we were over the limit last year. I was on jobseekers allowance up until i started college last September and they seem to be including the total amount i received from social welfare.

Is this correct, even though i dont receive social welfare payment of any sort since?

Has anyone any similar experiences or can share some help i would really appreciate it. I don't know what to do now

bri007 wrote: »
    Hi i am having a little trouble with susi this year. I am renewal applicant going into second year. I got the grant last year, but this year it has been refused. They said we were over the limit last year. I was on jobseekers allowance up until i started college last September and they seem to be including the total amount i received from social welfare.

Is this correct, even though i dont receive social welfare payment of any sort since?

Has anyone any similar experiences or can share some help i would really appreciate it. I don't know what to do now

I would claim that there is a change of circumstances because you are no longer receiving JSA because you are studying

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭TheFullDuck

quick query,

can you receive the grant from SUSI and live at home and commute? or do you need to be renting somewhere near the college?

quick query,

can you receive the grant from SUSI and live at home and commute? or do you need to be renting somewhere near the college?

Either

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭GFish

Best of luck! Hopefully it isn't as much a mess as last year :-)

Nice idea Marky.

Maybe it is better than last year but unfortunately, 18 months later ... well let's just say they still have work to do.

It's not rocket science or brain surgery but they need a new website programmer, somebody who knows how Revenue works, a new spell checker, a new gobbledegook filter, and a few other minor items.

You can download the 5 page appeal form and it tells you to sign the form. Fair enough, but where? My advice is play safe and sign every page and every additional document.

Then they tell you "Proof of Postage must be obtained". Proof of postage only proves that you put it in the post box and they can still say "we never got that". I'd suggest you use "Registered Post" for which they have to sign. That way you have proof your documents were delivered.

And have you tried contacting them via their online form yet? Write a message longer than a Twitter message and you're SOL.

And don't get me started about their tracker website. It doesn't tell you anything useful, but at least it was cheap, I suppose - what can you expect for a just a few hundred thousand Euros?

Pass me the blood-pressure pills please :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Quick head up. Grants 2015/2016 are supposed to open in mid April.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Many thanks. Do you know how it works if you ticked the box on the cao form for them to give susi your details?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Sup08

hdowney wrote: »
    Many thanks. Do you know how it works if you ticked the box on the cao form for them to give susi your details?

If you get and accept your chosen course you registered for with the CAO, you may not have to confirm your course details at the final stage of your grant application with SUSI if you are approved for the Grant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Sup08 wrote:
    If you get and accept your chosen course you registered for with the CAO, you may not have to confirm your course details at the final stage of your grant application with SUSI if you are approved for the Grant.

But do you still go on SUSI when it opens and fill out all the forms and send them the bunch of carp requested yea? (Last time I applied for a grant - level 5 in 2004!) It was still LEAs and VECs who administered it!

Advertisement