Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water pump always on

• 15-11-2013 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi!
    I got a problem with my water pump; it worked fine until this morning until I turned the kitchen tap on to wash some plates: at that point the pump switched on to pump hot water and, even after I turned the tap off, the pump continued to stay on.

It stayed like this for some minutes, then I decided to switch its power supply off.

The pump is a Daxima, it seems that none in Ireland repairs them and from their website it seems that they don't even make water pump!

I've attached a picture of the pump cover, with its specification (pump-head.jpg) and a picture from below (pump-itself.jpg), unfortunately there is a wooden scaffolding in the middle so it's not easy to see it.

I've opened the pump and had a look at the pcb, it is fairly simple: there is a relay which switches on the motor and two sensors, you can see the pcb in pcb.jpg.

I've removed both sensors trying to isolate the problem and without them the pump does not switch on; the same applies if the sensors on the left (cold water) is connected and the sensor on the right is disconnected. Once the problem was isolated to the sensor on the right I tried to swap the sensor electronics (they are just magnetic sensors encased in plastic, the real work is inside the valve, I suppose), using the working sensor on the hot water pipe caused the motor to switch on; the same applies if the sensor on the hot water pipe is connected to the other side of the PCB.

The sensor itself is in valve.jpg.

At the moment I've disconnected the sensor for the hot water valve, that means that the motor does not switch on if I turn the hot water on.
    If I turn the cold water on or a mixture of both cold and hot water the motor switches on and provides both cold and hot water (not sure if that is expected).

So it seems to me that there are only two things left:
    (1) a leak;
    (2) a mechanical problem of the valve.

I'm not sure how to check for (1), it seems weird to me that a leak keeps the motor always on and even after several minutes I can't see anything on the wall or on the floor; in relation to (2) I see that there is only a website selling the spare part:
    http://www.sparkiespares.com/index.php?id_product=1212&controller=product&id_lang=1

The cost is ~10 euro, should I try to order it and replace it?
    The other option is to replace the entire motor, I got a quote to replace it with a Stuart Tuner universal 2 bar, but that's 850 eu!! I can save ~250 eu if I buy it online and replace it myself, do you think it's something difficult? At a first glance does not seem so difficult to me.

I'm looking forward to your suggestions, thanks for your time reading this :)

Advertisement