Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Walking Dead - Season 2 [AMC - US] *Spoilers*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

jor el wrote: »
    We're also expected to believe that there was only one bag of guns in an entire American city! That was what I felt was the beginning of lazy writing, and that was episode 2.

Think of that from a strategic standpoint. They knew where that bag of guns was, and therefore could hatch a plan to retrieve them. You're hardly going to go wandering around zombie-infested streets looking for guns or a munitions store on the off-chance that it won't already be empty. Made sense to me tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

It jumped the shark when the menacing latino gang were actually a bunch of nice young men caring for the elderly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

In fairness I don't think he was ever in this for the longhaul but AMC looking to cut corners( as seems likely) was likely the straw that broke the camels back (i recall seeing a showrunners roundtable talk where he alluded to budget cuts) , he likely gave them an ultimatum that if they compromised the quality of the show by cutting his budget he would walk a gambit he would seem to have lost .

I'm guessing they were asking him to stretch the budget he had for the first season to make the second .

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭langer91

superfish wrote: »
    I dont understand why so many people are saying it was crap, the whole series was excellent Imo if you liked this watch stake land

just watched stake land there on your advise and i was very impressed excellent film. basically the walking dead with vamps!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

Starts on October 16th

http://www.tvline.com/2011/07/walking-dead-season-2-premiere-date/
    The San Diego Comic-Con panel for AMC’s The Walking Dead wasted no time in answering the No. 1 question on fans’ minds, revealing that Season 2 of the ghoulishly good drama will premiere on Sunday, Oct. 16, at 9/8c — two weeks sooner than many had guesstimated, based on the series’ Halloweentime 2010 debut.

And it's getting a side-order of webisodes

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/ustv/s135/the-walking-dead/news/a332154/walking-dead-webisodes-to-accompany-second-season.html
    A new series of Walking Dead webisodes will accompany the zombie-drama's second season.

The online series will be directed by the AMC drama's make-up effects supervisor Greg Nicotero, according to Bloody Disgusting.

The six episodes, written by From Dusk Till Dawn co-producer John Esposito, will focus on a woman named Hannah as she and her children take refuge from the zombie hordes in her ex-husband's home.

Nicotero has provided special make-up effects for both seasons of The Walking Dead and made his directorial debut with last year's short film The United Monster Talent Agency.

He will also direct one episode in The Walking Dead's second television season, it was confirmed at this year's Comic-Con in San Diego.

The Walking Dead webisodes will appear online concurrently with the new season, which will premiere in October on AMC in the US. New episodes will also air on FX in the UK in late 2011.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

JaxxYChicK wrote: »
    You're hardly going to go wandering around zombie-infested streets looking for guns or a munitions store on the off-chance that it won't already be empty. Made sense to me tbh.

It made sense to go into a zombie infested street after them though? There wasn't even a mention of them looking elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

It jumped the shark when the menacing latino gang were actually a bunch of nice young men caring for the elderly.

and turning the most interesting character into an attemped rapist who is swigging wine while standing in the shower crying, I mean really?

jor el wrote: »
    It made sense to go into a zombie infested street after them though? There wasn't even a mention of them looking elsewhere.

That's a good point too, though personally I can understand the risk of going after weapons in that kind of situation when you know exactly where they are, versus going after weapons that you can't see elsewhere.

krudler wrote: »
    and turning the most interesting character into an attemped rapist who is swigging wine while standing in the shower crying, I mean really?

That storyline didn't sit well with me either, not at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

I think it started to go downhill with the introduction of so many people who are not infected. The sense of being isolated and not knowing wtf is going on is more scary than any zombie attacking you. The pilot episode was brilliant and the inclusion of the father & son held up in their house while their wife/mother was one of the undead trying to get in at them was very well done and very sad. But a couple of episodes later it started to turn into a glorified soap opera with added zombies. I know extra characters have to be added to keep the story fresh but what I would have liked to have seen is the show to become a bit like The Fugitive from the 1960s. So you would have the cop going from town to town finding out a little bit of info every episode and he doesn't know what happened to his family and neither do we the viewer. Each episode would just concentrate on a single scenario such as a pregnant woman giving birth while the house is being attacked by the infected. Just my 2 cents worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭bb1234567

he didnt just go back to the zombie infested city for the bag of guns. he told lori and carl before he left that the walkie talkie was in the bag, and he needed to get it to contact morgan and duane whom he felt he was in debt to for saving his life in episode 1 to tell them atlanta city was dangerous and overrun by zombies. thats the main reason he went back to atlanta for,not just the guns.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Never understood why they cant just get another van - that one breaks down too much

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

what exactly did they think would happen when you have 3 hit shows, if they cant finance 3 hit shows at once im sure another channel wouldnt mind taking breaking bad and the walking dead off there hands,

• Registered Users Posts: 84,957 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/08/12/kurt-sutter-twitter-amc-frank-darabont/
    AMC’s year got off to an awkward start, beginning with very public contract negotiations with Mad Men. Then came the unexpected departure of showrunner Frank Darabont from The Walking Dead, and the revelation that the network was apparently playing hardball with Breaking Bad over a shortened final season. Toss in the audience-frustrating season finale of The Killing, and the network looks like a genuine three-ring circus, albeit a circus defined by moral ambiguity. Last night, Sons of Anarchy showrunner Kurt Sutter drove his metaphorical motorcycle into this metaphorical circus and metaphorically shot the elephant so he could cook it on his metaphorical spit. Metaphors!
    Sutter took to Twitter in a series of messages that directly attacked AMC and Mad Men showrunner Matthew Weiner for their role in Darabont’s departure. He began: “why darabont got fired — weiner. he held AMC hostage, broke their bank, budgets were slashed, s— rolled down hill onto [Breaking Bad showrunner Vince] Gilligan and Frank.” Then the claws really came out: “no one else wants to f—ing say it, but the greed of Mad Men is killing the other two best shows on tv — breaking bad and walking dead.”
    Sutter concludes, rather starkly: “Darabont reacted strongly to slashed budgets. he made mistakes, he was fired. no creative in town will trust AMC to back up their artists…i don’t know MW, got no beef with him. just hate that Darabont is being demonized. no one has the balls to tell the truth. MM gutted AMC.” (Responding to the allegations, a spokeswoman for AMC told EW: “Nothing could be further from the truth. We respect Kurt as a writer, but not as our CFO.”)
    Sutter, for his part, has continued to clarify his allegations on Twitter, noting most recently, “This is not me vs. Matt. the issue is that amc should not have compromised their other shows to appease his $$ demands. it was bad business.”

^ SOA's Kurt Sutter adds his two cents

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

Ahh here, some of the nit picking is going way OTT.

The Grenade - Where does a soldier keep a hand grenade? in a satchel attached to a piece of string being dragged 50m behind them? Come off it, that's ludicrous nit picking, it's a hand grenade ffs :rolleyes:

The way they portrayed the mental breakdown of one of the most head strong characters was done very poorly admittedly but it did serve to illustrate that under duress even the strongest can be broken down. Very poorly executed.

How exactly was the issue with the guns lazy writing? Throughout the entire series the general theme is, anything of real survival value has mostly been depleted, fuel, food, supplies etc, (of course there's exceptions). Would be pretty naive to strut into town assuming you'd find a load of guns when everything else is in scarce supply... He got lucky initially finding the bag of guns but still very much plausible that you would be far more likely to find survival supplies in smaller towns where you wouldn't have had large crowds looting for survival supplies.

Other than that, have to agree it went downhill fast but that won't stop me giving one more episode of S2 a chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

Samba wrote: »

How exactly was the issue with the guns lazy writing? Throughout the entire series the general theme is, anything of real survival value has mostly been depleted, fuel, food, supplies etc, (of course there's exceptions). Would be pretty naive to strut into town assuming you'd find a load of guns when everything else is in scarce supply... He got lucky initially finding the bag of guns but still very much plausible that you would be far more likely to find survival supplies in smaller towns where you wouldn't have had large crowds looting for survival supplies.

Other than that, have to agree it went downhill fast but that won't stop me giving one more episode of S2 a chance.
    Guns.. well. In episode 5 they walk into an army base full of guns and ignore them. The threat of zombies was no worse than it was in episode 2 or 3 when they went after the bag of guns. It's not like they were heavily armed at that point either. (IIRC they were counting bullets and shells they were so low)

I personally still think the notion of carrying a grenade in your handbag is perfectly ludicrous but that's not the main issue really. The hand grenade was an extremely flimsy plot contrivance. It's only purpose was to get the team out of a sticky situation in episode 6. Not to mention it makes no sense that a shotgun can't break the glass but a grenade can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

Mindkiller wrote: »
    Guns.. well. In episode 5 they walk into an army base full of guns and ignore them. The threat of zombies was no worse than it was in episode 2 or 3 when they went after the bag of guns. It's not like they were heavily armed at that point either. (IIRC they were counting bullets and shells they were so low)

I personally still think the notion of carrying a grenade in your handbag is perfectly ludicrous but that's not the main issue really. The hand grenade was an extremely flimsy plot contrivance. It's only purpose was to get the team out of a sticky situation in episode 6. Not to mention it makes no sense that a shotgun can't break the glass but a grenade can.

Fair point on the guns, I'd forgotten that! Still have to disagree with the grenade, if it's o.k for a soldier to carry it on them, then it's good enough for a handbag!

Blast resistant and bullet resistant glass are two different things, one would have to assume though that such a facility would be fitted with both but nonetheless they remain resistant and not fool proof but I'm certainly no military expert qualified to comment tbh.

Edit - just as I suspected...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJO0eXnHz5I

cant wait for the next season, the trailer is amazing ,but im quite annoyed darabont was fired, i just hope the show wont suffer and will be the same or better than it was :D it was pretty bad what amc did to darabont, letting him sponsor the show at comic con then firing him 3 days later...thats just mean

• Advertisement

:eek: are they fuc*king serious????????????? :mad:

http://www.tvline.com/2011/09/tvline-items-walking-dead-good-news-bad-news-stacey-dash-single-ladies/

AMC announced Thursday that the hotly anticipated Season 2 premiere of the zombie drama will be a supersized 90-minute episode, to air Sunday, Oct. 16 at 9/8c.

Ah, but with this good news comes some bad. Although a half-dozen hour-long installments will air in the weeks to follow, the final six episodes of TWD‘s second cycle won’t unspool until Sunday, Feb. 12 at 9 pm — translating into an 11-week midseason hiatus.

^ 3 month hiatus???????????.....show has turned into total farce!!!!! :mad:

thats not so bad, the 7 episodes will bring us up to mid december. then everyone will be looking forward to xmas in 2 weeks, then 2 weeks of holidays mid january. then just bout a month til it starts back,aint too bad :) then last 6 episodes will end april. then just wait rest of april,may and summer nd itll probably start back season 3 in september not october cus the season is longer this time.

:eek: are they fuc*king serious????????????? :mad:

http://www.tvline.com/2011/09/tvline-items-walking-dead-good-news-bad-news-stacey-dash-single-ladies/

AMC announced Thursday that the hotly anticipated Season 2 premiere of the zombie drama will be a supersized 90-minute episode, to air Sunday, Oct. 16 at 9/8c.

Ah, but with this good news comes some bad. Although a half-dozen hour-long installments will air in the weeks to follow, the final six episodes of TWD‘s second cycle won’t unspool until Sunday, Feb. 12 at 9 pm — translating into an 11-week midseason hiatus.

^ 3 month hiatus???????????.....show has turned into total farce!!!!! :mad:
    I wonder if this is what they meant when they said that Breaking Bad season 5 will be 'spaced out over the next few years'? Obviously this is on a smaller scale but if we get sporadic airings of BB until 2013 I'll be mad. Don't give two fuffs about **** Dead

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Ultimate Ultan

Samba wrote: »
    Fair point on the guns, I'd forgotten that! Still have to disagree with the grenade, if it's o.k for a soldier to carry it on them, then it's good enough for a handbag!

I would imagine that the reason why they didn't go looking for guns outside the CDC, is becuase they had to get indoors as quickly as possible, and stopping to pick up an assault rifle and then look for ammo might take too long.

Then there is the problem with using a gun! Sure sure, you fire a round, kill a Z, but alert many, many Z's as to your position. You need a silent killer if you're in Z-town. That's why they used Daryl's crossbow so much.

On another point, I love the show and I see that The Walking Dead graphic novels are available in my local library. Is there much difference between the novels and the show? If I start reading the novels will I get all sniffy about the TV version? Will it tell me too much of what's going to happen?

IS IT OCTOBER YET? I CAN'T WAIT FOR SEASON 2!!!
    (Sorry for shouting.)

On another point, I love the show and I see that The Walking Dead graphic novels are available in my local library. Is there much difference between the novels and the show? If I start reading the novels will I get all sniffy about the TV version? Will it tell me too much of what's going to happen?

IS IT OCTOBER YET? I CAN'T WAIT FOR SEASON 2!!!
    (Sorry for shouting.)

ye i love the show too and started reading the comics and guess what they are even better than the tv show! yes they are quite different, there are new subplots,new places, characters. In the tv show when they go to cdc thats not in comic, neither is the guillermo and his latino gang, neither is merle or daryl,tdog,morales or his family,jacqui and neither is carols abusive husband ed. see there are a lot of new characters in the tv show. in the book there is a family donna and allen and twins sons ben and billy who are not on in tv show. but rick,lori,carl shane,glenn,andrea,amy,jim,dale are all in both tv show and comic. in the comic instead of cdc they go to a little gated and walled housing estate and stay the night and plan on making it theyre new home although things go very wrong, youll see if you read the comics. in episode 2 there is no department store, rick just goes to atlanta and runs into trouble, glenn finds him and they go straight back to camp. see the comic and tv show are quite different, though they do stick to the main plot quite well, i suppose they need all the new characters and places and story to keep us interested... theyre wouldnt be enough in the cmoics to fill an hour long tv show. but they are great comics you should read them. i cant wait for the next season its going to be great, some great characters and story arcs coming. the greene family farm,the prison..awesome characters from the comic book on the way michone..tyresee and family..prison survivors and more its going to be awesome !!!
    ye unfortunately like me youll get a bit sniffy about the tv version but its ok i still love both:D ye of course it will tell you a lot about what will happen, but its ok, you read the harry potter books before movie didnt you..but like i said they change up the characters and story and places so its a bit different to comics, the director says he does this to keep the comic book fans interested and on their toes! hah :)

Cheers BB, I'll rush out and get the GN's from the library now.

One other thing about that grenade that I forgot. A soldier would never be so careless as to lump in a live grenade in a bag filled with other items. To the best of my knowledge they carry them invidually in these yolks.

36731_SOF_BT_GRENADE_POUCH_b.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTryYD8WMPtveVjeYqLuNJHqX9hU4Wz3LmtvmzmQg-qIyQMRfNHXOnAgkLb

Much safer than a handbag. Anyway, sorry for bringing that up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

Cheers BB, I'll rush out and get the GN's from the library now.
    i got volumes 1-6 off amazon for about 40 euro last week, there released once a month and a volume is 6 months of comics, so that was 40 euro for 3 years worth of comics,

if your interested in buying them, i bought them in 2 packs of 3, you need to spend over £25 for free shipping,

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Walking-Dead-Days-Gone-Bye/dp/1582406723/ref=pd_sim_b_12

• Advertisement

Mindkiller wrote: »
    One other thing about that grenade that I forgot. A soldier would never be so careless as to lump in a live grenade in a bag filled with other items. To the best of my knowledge they carry them invidually in these yolks.

36731_SOF_BT_GRENADE_POUCH_b.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTryYD8WMPtveVjeYqLuNJHqX9hU4Wz3LmtvmzmQg-qIyQMRfNHXOnAgkLb

Much safer than a handbag. Anyway, sorry for bringing that up again.

True, but maybe in the chaos of a zombie apocalypse their standards slipped?

Advertisement