Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Human Evolution - Are we done??

• 15-12-2010 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭Antomus Prime

So I was watching an old episode of Friends lastnite, the one where pheobe chalanges ross' evolution beliefs and it got me thinking, Has the human race evolved as far as it's going to? Or people still going to continue to change over they centurys and could humans possibly even change appearance?

If so what do you think would be the next steps in evolution?
    Or to make it a bit more fun, What would you WANT the next step to be???

For me I reckon scientifically the next steps will be greater immune systems to todays diseases (hopefully anyway, we loose too many people to the likes of cancer ect)

And the fun answer would be , for want of a better expression, Super Powers, as in enhanced strength, senses, agility.... so on and so forth..............

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

We're probably starting to go backwards... In which case.. Swamp thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

i grew a tail last week :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Doubt it , sure I think there are kid's in Africa been born with a resistance to HIV/AIDS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭AntiMatter

The next steps in evolution will be psychological, I believe.

People have been recorded as growing taller, for the last few centuries, to allow woman to give birth to babies with larger brains.

I believe, and hope, the evolution will be away from our current territorial, selfish, paleolithic psychology, to a more enlightened future.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I think if anything our evolution is going to speed up as scientific advances happen. Genetic therapies being passed down the generations, tecnological enhancements to eyesight and hearing, tits with laser pointers built in, women with mute buttons and so on.
    Basically we are going to turn into the borg, but i'm fine with that cos 7 of 9 is hot as f'uck:D
    Bring on the future!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭Antomus Prime

Sykk wrote: »
    We're probably starting to go backwards... In which case.. Swamp thing!

Well from what i see around the estate, i think that people are getting shorter and not growing as tall as previous generations!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Well I'm knackered anyways so I'm knocking the old evolving on the head for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

FatherLen wrote: »
    i grew a tail last week :eek:

If it's on the front, that's a penis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭smk89

Are you kidding?

Take a look at yourself ffs, as Dara O'Brian says we still bite the inside of our mouths.

Evolution is nowhere near finished but from this century we can control it. Maybe a little now but soon we will be able to completely control our destiny, and with cybernetics the potential is unlimited.

But none of that matters because the robot revolution will begin in 2012

I think if anything our evolution is going to speed up as scientific advances happen. Genetic therapies being passed down the generations, tecnological enhancements to eyesight and hearing, tits with laser pointers built in, women with mute buttons and so on.
    Basically we are going to turn into the borg, but i'm fine with that cos 7 of 9 is hot as f'uck:D
    Bring on the future!!

Fantastic thoughts, the mute button would be amazing!!! :D

And yes 7 is quite the babe, shame about her real name though............

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

AntiMatter wrote: »
    The next steps in evolution will be psychological, I believe.

People have been recorded as growing taller, for the last few centuries, to allow woman to give birth to babies with larger brains.

I believe, and hope, the evolution will be away from our current territorial, selfish, paleolithic psychology, to a more enlightened future.

Actually, paleolithic people had larger brains than modern humans.

smk89 wrote: »
    Are you kidding?

Take a look at yourself ffs, as Dara O'Brian says we still bite the inside of our mouths.

Evolution is nowhere near finished but from this century we can control it. Maybe a little now but soon we will be able to completely control our destiny, and with cybernetics the potential is unlimited.

But none of that matters because the robot revolution will begin in 2012

Ah Dara O Brian, a great contributor to the world of science lol

Cybernetics eh? I call dibbs on Jax's arms from Mortal Kombat!!!

--Kaiser-- wrote: »

All of them, or just the Neanderthals?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

I want wings, and lazers for eyes. And an arse that dispenses Rum.

Unforunetely thats rather an unlikely genetic mutation and would require me to shag myself and then be born again. And from what i hear the christians arent to keen on evolution because it contradicts the BFG

AntiMatter wrote: »
    All of them, or just the Neanderthals?

Both Cro-magnons and Neanderthals.
    Some (me) would put decrease in quality of diet as a factor. Cavemen would have had denser bones and better teeth also.

In many ways you could almost say we are devolving from our paleolithic selves. Early man would have to be fit, healthy and shrewd to pass on his genes. Nowadays.....not so much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

They had to figure out a lot of stuff on the fly. Google is going to turn humanity into blithering idiots.

dont know something? figure it out, dont look it up on your fancy internet.

also, there are deliquents on my lawn!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rhyme

Human mandibles are receding thanks to food being easier to eat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

So I was watching an old episode of Friends lastnite, the one where pheobe chalanges ross' evolution beliefs and it got me thinking, Has the human race evolved as far as it's going to? Or people still going to continue to change over they centurys and could humans possibly even change appearance?

If so what do you think would be the next steps in evolution?
    Or to make it a bit more fun, What would you WANT the next step to be???

For me I reckon scientifically the next steps will be greater immune systems to todays diseases (hopefully anyway, we loose too many people to the likes of cancer ect)

And the fun answer would be , for want of a better expression, Super Powers, as in enhanced strength, senses, agility.... so on and so forth..............

Well you're definitely heading back towards the Cro-magnon, buddy!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

In many ways you could almost say we are devolving
    There is no such thing as de-evolving. Contrary to popular belief, evolution is not a change towards the best that any organism can be. It is simply a change to be better in a given environment. The human environment has changed since cro-magnon times, so we are are evolving in such a way that the best traits for our current environment are those which tend to be passed onto our offspring. A bigger brain doesn't necessarily mean more intelligent. We could very well have more tightly packed and energy-efficient brains in comparison to previous ancestors.

From a shark's point of view, they are the pinnacle of evolution as they know it. Sure humans can't even breathe underwater, let alone that pathetic flailing that we call "swimming".

The obvious implication here is that there is no such thing as a hierarchy of animals - we are no better or "more evolved" than any other other organism. All organisms have evolved to be the best fit for their environment.

Both Cro-magnons and Neanderthals.
    Some (me) would put decrease in quality of diet as a factor. Cavemen would have had denser bones and better teeth also.

Are they both homosapiens?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Well, I think genetic engineering will give us the ability to add or change traits at will, assuming we are able to master it. So that could be big factor in any future evolution.

seamus wrote: »
    There is no such thing as de-evolving. Contrary to popular belief, evolution is not a change towards the best that any organism can be. It is simply a change to be better in a given environment.

From a shark's point of view, they are the pinnacle of evolution as they know it. Sure humans can't even breathe underwater, let alone that pathetic flailing that we call "swimming".

The obvious implication here is that there is no such thing as a hierarchy of animals - we are no better or "more evolved" than any other other organism. All organisms have evolved to be the best fit for their environment.

Hence the fun part of the question, what would you like humans next evolution step to be? Better swimming? Breathing under water?? Both of them would be really cool :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

For me I reckon scientifically the next steps will be greater immune systems to todays diseases (hopefully anyway, we loose too many people to the likes of cancer ect).

I would have said exactly the opposite. I reckon were killing off our natural immune system by being paranoid and over protective..

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭kerryman12

Human Evolution - Are we done??

i hope not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

lmao. if anything worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

The OP seems to be thanking everyone that posts in the thread....

just sayin.

Wazdakka wrote: »
    I would have said exactly the opposite. I reckon were killing off our natural immune system by being paranoid and over protective..

That actually touches on a conversation i had with a mate a few weeks back, the worst offenders are mothers with young children who are terrified of their kid even getting a little cold, the more times a child gets sick, the stronger the immune system will grow, if you hide you kid away from every day sicknesses then they will have no immune system to them, but thats a bit off topic though

seamus wrote: »
    There is no such thing as de-evolving. Contrary to popular belief, evolution is not a change towards the best that any organism can be. It is simply a change to be better in a given environment.

Pretty much any animal in existence is the pinnacle of evolution really (except Pandas, they suck!). My point would be that we could be dis-improving, depending on your point of view. Early man was THE top level predator.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

And for every immunisation that appears, 2 new diseases crop up. Killer diseases.

I am not a scientician, and no research has been done to back up my facts.

• Advertisement

NothingMan wrote: »
    The OP seems to be thanking everyone that posts in the thread....

just sayin.

Whats wrong with thankin people that take the time to post on my thread?? Maybe I wont give you a thanks NothingMan lol

Advertisement