Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Keep Calm And Discuss Retro Generally!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,367 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

urbanledge wrote: »
    Whats a cmod?

Cat moderator. He has to look after all of the cats at boards.ie to make sure they don't get out of hand :pac:

See the categories along the top? Edu/Games/Rec/Soc etc?

A cat mod moderates every forum in the category. Not just particular forums.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,532 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Is he not a really hip cat that drives a scooter then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Is he not a really hip cat that drives a scooter then?

262264378270215414Glw7emvlc.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,776 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

So I have Megaman 1-4 on the Gameboy and just need the best one Megaman 5. Unfortunately it's stupidly expensive. I laughed when I saw it for $80 in the US last year. Unfortunately that's the cheapest I've ever seen it go. But then I can't leave the collection incomplete!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

o1s1n wrote: »
    this mean you can now ban Ciderdude from A&R? I think it does... :D

Bugger, no more SoR/Goldenaxe hatin' and trolling, no more extolling the virtues of crap ps2 fps games....
    Parties over, I'm going home!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Playing through the R&C hd collection right now that i borrowed from my cousin and about half way through the first game.

Comment i made yesterday was abit of a troll comment and although i do enjoy the series , it does not hold a candle to mario galaxy games.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,776 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Threw on the N64 last night and found I had to resort to the PAL N64. The PAL s-video cables give a very dark picture on NTSC machines so need to source a s-video cable before I play it. So I was bound for PAL land so tried a few games out. First was Doom 64... meh. That one didn't last long in the cart slot. Next was Pilotwings 64, a great game utterly ruined by a terrible PAL conversion. It's really appalling stuff with a framerate around 15 FPS. I'll need to get that as a NTSC game. Last was Castlevania 64, a game where you don't just battle demons but also the crappy camera as well. There's thre camera types you can choose between. I saw no difference between either and all seemed to want to show you a close up of N64's crappy texturing on the walls rather than the enemies you were fighting or the jump you need to make. It's not a train wreck some people make it out to be but it's not great either.

N64, still not impressed.

Did you try goleneye?
    :D

urbanledge wrote: »
    Did you try goleneye?
    :D

Going through that game once was enough for me.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Were any of you guys following the emergency landing/plane diversion thread for Dublin airport last night? Unfortunately I missed it, looked like great craic.

They were able to track the plane approaches/aborted landings/diversions with flightradar24.com and were listening in to scanners.

22 diversions and 2 landings in two hours :eek:. The landings sounded like they were absolutely awful.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056928782&page=45

Were any of you guys following the emergency landing/plane diversion thread for Dublin airport last night? Unfortunately I missed it, looked like great craic.

They were able to track the plane approaches/aborted landings/diversions with flightradar24.com and were listening in to scanners.

22 diversions and 2 landings in two hours :eek:. The landings sounded like they were absolutely awful.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056928782&page=45

Happened to me before. Went to the UK with my brother to see a Fulham game. Storm came in -17 degrees and the place was frozen over. Match was cancelled. Flight back the winds were so bad we were in the air for an extra hour. Plane had to come in sideways to land. Just before we hit the runway the pilot aborted we had to then land the same way in Belfast to refuel and then land again in choppy weather in dublin.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Happened to me before. Went to the UK with my brother to see a Fulham game. Storm came in -17 degrees and the place was frozen over. Match was cancelled. Flight back the winds were so bad we were in the air for an extra hour. Plane had to come in sideways to land. Just before we hit the runway the pilot aborted we had to then land the same way in Belfast to refuel and then land again in choppy weather in dublin.

Are we sure Retr0 wasn't controlling them via Pilotwings 64?
    To confirm check if any hang gliders, jet packs or Autogyros came in for a heavy landing! ;)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Yeah I was watching that thread last night. Funnily enough I was staying with my grandad because my uncle who lives there was going on holidays this morning at 6am. Wonder if they were able to take off.

Master of the Universe

Yeah I was watching that thread last night. Funnily enough I was staying with my grandad because my uncle who lives there was going on holidays this morning at 6am. Wonder if they were able to take off.

Not so much action tonight! Weather is calm.

This is super geeky, even for me, but this website is brilliant.

Tracks every plane over Ireland in real time with loads of info about their altitude/speed while also broadcasting the Dublin Airport air traffic control comms.

Cool thing is I can watch the planes on the map, listen to their comms/see their destination/speed etc and then see any which are going to fly by my house and look out the window :pac:

http://www.airwavesireland.com/

Yeah I may have crossed some geeky/nerdy line here :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

http://www.airwavesireland.com/
    /QUOTE]

Well thats the next couple of hours wasted for me anyways.

Enjoy humming this for the rest of the day folks

This chap is actually class!

:eek:

This guy kicks acapella ass!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

That bottom Zelda one is brilliant (Great Fairy Mountain)! I bet o1s1n was all "DAT beard!". :pac:

Speaking of Zelda, aren't Ninty bringing out a sequel to LTTP on 3DS?

Andrew76 wrote: »
    I bet o1s1n was all "DAT beard!". :pac:

:pac:

Yep there's ten mins of gameplay footage posted in the Games forum thread...looks very reminiscent of LttP...can't wait for the release. Hopefully they do a new Zelda Ltd Edition XL...the XL looks so much better then the normal small one so will have to bite the bullet on one at some stage

• Advertisement

:eek::eek:

EnterNow wrote: »
    :pac:

Yep there's ten mins of gameplay footage posted in the Games forum thread...looks very reminiscent of LttP...can't wait for the release. Hopefully they do a new Zelda Ltd Edition XL...the XL looks so much better then the normal small one so will have to bite the bullet on one at some stage

I thought the XL case was cheaper looking no?

Andrew76 wrote: »
    I thought the XL case was cheaper looking no?

Yeah I've heard that, but man the original 3DS gives savage game-claw after only a few mins for me. Its really uncomfortable :(

Master of the Universe

I was all 'woah! DAT BEARD!' until I heard the acapella.

Suddenly the beard looks like child's play. :eek: really amazing stuff. That Megaman one is mind blowing.

Anyone listening to any live scanner streams of the Boston police? Really nail biting stuff while they look for that chap. Just found some shell casings on the ground.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/ma-rt-9-window-cam

I was all 'woah! DAT BEARD!' until I heard the acapella.

Suddenly the beard looks like child's play. :eek: really amazing stuff. That Megaman one is mind blowing.

Anyone listening to any live scanner streams of the Boston police? Really nail biting stuff while they look for that chap. Just found some shell casings on the ground.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/ma-rt-9-window-cam

Lol sounds like they just arrested grandpa simpson!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

3tzex1.jpg

New Shinji Mikami horror game announced. Lets hope he has a bigger budget than shadows of the damned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,532 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

EnterNow wrote: »
    Yeah I've heard that, but man the original 3DS gives savage game-claw after only a few mins for me. Its really uncomfortable :(

I hate having to use the shoulder buttons.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement