Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Secondry school entrance exam

13»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Religious owned schools (which is most of them) and hospitals are exempt from the equality act.

Very many schools use 'entrance tests' to limit who they take in.

'Oh xxxxx school down the road would be much better able to meet your child's needs' can often mean 'he has a learning difficulty and will mess up our exam results'.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

I wouldn't worry about it. The test I did was some basic maths and very basic reading and writing. Anybody could do it without a hitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

spurious wrote: »
    'Oh xxxxx school down the road would be much better able to meet your child's needs' can often mean 'he has a learning difficulty and will mess up our exam results'.

That's why I said 'legally'. What really happens can be a different story.

Sounds like the OP wants his kid to ace the entrance exam because he thinks this will get her into the 'best' class, when he probably hasn't any idea of the setting the school uses, whether it's mixed ability or streaming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

spurious wrote: »
    Religious owned schools (which is most of them) and hospitals are exempt from the equality act.

Very many schools use 'entrance tests' to limit who they take in.

Well is it fair that someone with a learning difficulty would be allowed to hold an entire class back from reaching their full potential??

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭bellapip

Hi OP. Very important to get your kid to see this exam beforehand so they can cheat their way to a high mark and get into a top class. It'll make all the difference and remember ... once you're in the 'D' class , you're there for life (or at least til you finish your Junior Cert).
    Just to clarify, and maybe I was not clear.
    I simply wanted an idea of the things they are going to ask her,.
    We have a new principal in the primary school and she has told all the kids that they should revise for their exams and cover element of all the subjects that have been covered through the year.
    My daughter is one of the lucky ones who finds learning easy (I did not) and she really just wanted to get an idea of what sort of thing would come up.
    No more or less than that.. I am purely a parent who wants the best for her kids, I am not a smothering, over pampering freaked out loooonatic who is going to go into meltdown when she gets to the big exams.
    I am however practical and know my eldest daughter well enough to know that she will relax much more and enjoy the experience if she has a tiny inkling of what it will involve. .......

Thanks so much to all of you who gave tips and advice, I really didn't think it would generate such a can of worms.

Bell:D

quote.gif

• Advertisement
Advertisement