Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hurricane Sandy

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Tidal surge now exceeding Irene, new flood estimate for NY up to seven feet above Hudson high water

• Registered Users Posts: 11 ahuminahumina

gbee wrote: »

That's a question for the airlines TBH. I'm sure you won't be the only one asking that one.

But they were advising of possible cancellations and for a fact, some were being cancelled last Saturday.

Grand. But these particular flights were cancelled last night. Lot of people get to airports early and some night before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Could Sandy Go Nuclear? :eek:

Storm Path.

Concentration of US nuclear power stations.

Sandy’s path overlays the most dense concentration of nuclear reactors in the United States including a large cluster of the flawed MK1 type reactors similar to the ones that melted down at Fukushima. This type of reactor requires a back up of diesel powered generators for cooling should every thing else including the power grid fails.

If something did happen no doubt it would be the "perfect storm" for Obama to usher in a state of emergency thus cancelling the US presidential election.

Under a state of emergency Obama can seize all communications including transportation, internet, food, private property and usher in NDAA AKA Martial law.

The above would not surprise me. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,427 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Yep. The Obama administration organised the whole thing.

Now where did I put my tinfoil hat.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Dean09 wrote: »

He may not have organised it but he will certainly hijack it. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,138 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

There is no major threat posed to nuclear power plants by a hurricane. Its was a tsunami that damaged fukushima.

Could Sandy Go Nuclear? :eek:
    :)

No. However, we had a fire in nuke station earlier in the year as it was shut down as a precaution as a river flooded ~ so one can never be sure,

MadYaker wrote: »
    Its was a tsunami that damaged fukushima.

Just to be pedantic for one second, the earthquake damaged the plant which prevented them from shutting down [completely] and then the tsunami washed away their diesel engines which meant that the plant had neither water nor power and they melted down within five hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Dean09 wrote: »

He's got those too!
    If all else fails he's going to morph into a giant dinosaur and breath fire up and down the coast, stomping the crap out of everything. The great black democrasaur. It fell from space in a meteorite to force healthcare on rednecks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭tommyboy2222

Just mentioned on BBC World news that Manhattan is almost completely cut off.

It seems Banes plan is coming to fruition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

• Why are people generally so concerned about what's going on USA?

Every year huge storms hit parts of China/S.E. Asia and many other parts of the world too and no one ever talks about them...

There's a higher chance of Irish people having friends and family in America than in China, I would imagine. I, myself, have a brother and sister-in-law in New York and am trying to pay a lot of attention to the news.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

i dont have family in china, dont need to know about weather in china, but ,i do have family in new york, and i sit here keeping up to date with what is going on,
    we all saw what happened in catherina, we hope nothing like that happens ever again,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Live webcam from the Statue of Liberty.

Its shíte really, and will probably be more shíte later when it gets dark in New York.

Or gets blown away.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

Shryke wrote: »
    He's got those too!
    If all else fails he's going to morph into a giant dinosaur and breath fire up and down the coast, stomping the crap out of everything. The great black democrasaur. It fell from space in a meteorite to force healthcare on rednecks.

You don't realise how close to the truth you are from RTDHs' point of view. You see, he is himself a 'perfect storm' of...eh specialness. A conspiracy theorist....and.....Rapture believing Christian Fundamentalist who believes Obama is the actual anti-christ.

Anti-Christ -> 7 headed serpent from Revelations -> Obama stomping the crap out of everything like a democrasaur.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

5.15PM here and it's been lashing non stop for about 6 hours. Gusts but only little. Drove home about an hour ago and roads were virtually empty ...... a few branches down but the roads like little rivers. Governor John Lynch has declared a state of emergency so all employers had to let the workers go home by 3PM. AFAIK the worst of the rain is expected around 6 to 10PM and then it loops around and again from 2AM to 10AM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I had sushi in a place in Battery Park last Monday, mad seeing Sky reporters getting blown away there now

Spread wrote: »
    5.15PM here and it's been lashing non stop for about 6 hours. Gusts but only little. Drove home about an hour ago and roads were virtually empty ...... a few branches down but the roads like little rivers. Governor John Lynch has declared a state of emergency so all employers had to let the workers go home by 3PM. AFAIK the worst of the rain is expected around 6 to 10PM and then it loops around and again from 2AM to 10AM.

Gaff is creaking and cracking like nobodys business Its a little unnerving to say the least. 90 mph gusts here on Connecticut shoreline

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭coonecb1

i work in a US multinational, I emailed my colleague in Florida today to ask if he was surviving Sandy alright.

He replied back that we wasn't just surviving it, he was loving hurricane Sandy.

He went surfing all weekend and is going back out again tonight :D

Crazy surf dudes :)

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    I had sushi in a place in Battery Park last Monday, mad seeing Sky reporters getting blown away there now

Hookers gotta make the money, Hurricane or no Hurricane :pac:

• Advertisement

Yeah I saw footage of a surfer off Long Island. All the talking heads commenting on how stupid he was. I suppose it's the putting of search and rescue lives at risk thats the problem.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

5:45 here in Manhattan.

I went out about 3 times earlier today to take some pics and see what the craic was like.All diners and pubs were and are still full of people but now that I'm home and looking out I don't think I'll be heading out any longer. Gusts are getting strong enough to prevent any walking into the wind.

Lapin wrote: »
    Live webcam from the Statue of Liberty.

Its shíte really, and will probably be more shíte later when it gets dark in New York.

Or gets blown away.

Those video feeds are something else. Can't even see the harbor at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Approx. What time is the worst expected

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

The area that you're talking about could be four times the size of Ireland. So you've got to be specific with your question.

Approx. What time is the worst expected

2:00am 53 seconds.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Power is being cut south of Brooklyn Bridge between Broadway and East River.

Source : ConEd guy on TV :)

Its currently 5.55pm in New York. Take a look at this live webcam of Times Square.

Its dead. No thousands of people walking the streets no rush hour traffic. Still the odd person out tho.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Those video feeds are something else. Can't even see the harbor at the moment.

Aye, the Times Square Crossroads one is probably the clearest now.
    And there is plenty of light there to keep things visible.

The Brooklyn Bridge one looks as though it really is about to get blown away.

Advertisement