Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Help me find out what RPG I saw!

• 13-09-2014 10:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭

Ok, strange thread (and Retrogamer can feel free to close it) but I am curious ....

I saw a guy on a train yesterday and I just happened to see his phone screen in the corner of my eye and saw that he was playing an RPG.

It appeared to be an emulated DS game, bottom screen showing the game (a semi 2D/3D sprite-based look to it - I initially thought of Golden Sun) while top screen was showing a CTB battle system almost EXACTLY like final fantasy 10. i.e. you see the ordered list of who is next to attack. I'm guessing on an actual DS the main game would have been on top screen with the CTB list on the bottom. Though maybe it wasn't a DS game, could have been a mobile game.

Should have asked him what it was. Anyone have any thoughts?

In a nutshell, a Golden Sun-like game, with split screen and using the FFX CTB system.

Not the end of the world if I don't know what it is but would be interested to know. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭martineatworld

Radiant historia?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

Radiant historia?

We have a winner! Got it in one, thanks buddy.

Is it any good? I always liked that system from FFX

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,778 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's really great from what I payed and was very well received.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭martineatworld

It's very good.

Was going through a slump of rpg's, just couldn't be arsed going through a full one as nothing was pulling me in until it came along. As the time travelling mechanic is given more freedom at the end, it gets a bit messier and loses a bit of focus. I ended up stopping on the leadup to the final boss, but until then it was very enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Radiant Historia is a brilliant JRPG. The plot, dialogue and characters are all first class and the combat is interesting all the way through. The time travelling is used really well and isn't just a gimmick. I've beaten it and went back to do the extra bits it was that good. Can't recommend it enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 FirLocke

Oh my God yes! I've not played many RPGs on the DS but I loved Radiant Historia to bits. The characters are memorable, the story is interesting and entertaining, the combat is clever fun and the music - composed by Yoko Shimomura of Kingdom Hearts (and the upcoming Final Fantasy XV) fame - is amazing.

The graphics have a 16/32 bit feel to them which I found to be incredibly charming as well. Ugh, I highly recommend this game, however you're able to get it! Amazon, Play-Asia, great game I highly recommend it.

Oh! There's also tons of hidden stuff and hidden endings and all that jazz, and seeing everything is actually worthwhile and interesting too.

Advertisement