Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Answer me this

Options
  • 03-11-2012 4:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Right so I wanted to post a letter to my insurance company today, there's a post box at the end of my estate so out I hop of my car with the letter, I walk to the front of the box, No hole to put letter, so I go the other side, no hole?? So in broad daylight I'm standing at this green post box lookalike thingy, same green color as An Post, its just a box on a pole, now when driving afterwards this evening their actually at most estate entrances... Wat the heck are they?

Scarlet for me anyway looked like a right dope

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭Max Power

Transformer? MCB box?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

You know when there's a "P.O. Box" in an address? I'm fairly sure that's what they are.
    Like instead of going to a house or office etc... it goes to this box and then the owner of the box comes along with the key to retrieve the letters.
    I could be way off, but that's what I think they are.

You know when there's a "P.O. Box" in an address? I'm fairly sure that's what they are.
    Like instead of going to a house or office etc... it goes to this box and then the owner of the box comes along with the key to retrieve the letters.
    I thought P.O. Box meant all the letters went to the post office for collection?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Rantandrave

None of the above .....

Someone find out its wrecking my head

Maybe it was an An Post box but has been put out of use?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Right so I wanted to post a letter to my insurance company today, there's a post box at the end of my estate so out I hop of my car with the letter, I walk to the front of the box, No hole to put letter, so I go the other side, no hole?? So in broad daylight I'm standing at this green post box lookalike thingy, same green color as An Post, its just a box on a pole, now when driving afterwards this evening their actually at most estate entrances... Wat the heck are they?

Scarlet for me anyway looked like a right dope

I saw one too, man :)

Big post looking box. Painted post colour green. Just no slot. Me and my girlfriend noticed it one day and both of use were confused :P ... its definitely something to do with An Post.

I thought P.O. Box meant all the letters went to the post office for collection?

I honestly haven't a clue!
    I have no idea why I decided that po boxes were those boxes yer man is talking about.
    I thought a P.O. Box was a literal box.
    Strange how those boxes are everywhere, and loads of us don't know what they are!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,806 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

I think they are "drop off" boxes where post for that area is dropped off by An Post and picked up by the postman for delivery.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I nearly **** myself laughing at this.

A po box is a post office box, the item/letter is delivered to a box in a post office/service provider and you have to go collect it yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

OP - go take a pic of it and let us all decide what it is ;)

• Advertisement

Seaneh wrote: »
    I nearly **** myself laughing at this.

A po box is a post office box, the item/letter is delivered to a box in a post office/service provider and you have to go collect it yourself.

Oh okay. :o
    I obviously just invented that idea in my head as a child, and then grew up believing it to be true!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Dr who?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,228 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

There's one of them yokes at the head of my road also.
    Ironically near the Letter Box. And to make things worse - There's a Bruscair as well
    Also in green.
    So I'm There with my 3 Stars envelope and 3 green boxes.

Where do I put it?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Cork Lass wrote: »
    I think they are "drop off" boxes where post for that area is dropped off by An Post and picked up by the postman for delivery.
    This.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

Cork Lass wrote: »

That's what they are - if you notice there are some hooks underneath the box for the postman to hold the bag open as he sorts the bundles.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

The postman keeps his uniform in one. I'm actually not joking... passed him a few times taking out a bag and jacket.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Odd. I've wondered at how many post boxes are within a few hundred yards of the post office. Handy for me, I just go to the one that is a few seconds closer.I timed it and everything, first world dilemnas.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

The postman keeps his uniform in one. I'm actually not joking... passed him a few times taking out a bag and jacket.

:D Shít changing rooms so. Does he use Lynx or Sure for Men?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

'It' could have been one of those tremendously funny mime-artists, perhaps a more rigorous search for an aperture may have yielded an uncomfortable outcome for our 'funny' friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭girl2

• Advertisement
Advertisement