Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oasis or Blur?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Dotsey wrote: »
    that would be Alan White.
    interesting that Noel manned the drums on Bag It Up, Waiting for the Raptrure and Soldier On on the last album, he done a pretty good job aswell. Also on his solo album and on SOTSOG he done practically every bit of lead guitar, rhythm and bass plus vocals so he's adept at every instrument he needs

My mistake. Alan White. Brother Steve plays for Paul Weller for years. Thinking of Andy Bell.
    Noel is a decent musician. Being adept at guitar should really mean lead and rhythm as a given and bass shouldn't be a huge stretch for any competent guitarist to be passable at (I know, I've bluffed through a few gigs on it). Noel's drumming is rudimentary at best. Bare bones stuff. Does nothing for the songs in question. Why not just get a session drummer? Maybe because Paul McCartney did it on his McCartney album. He did some pretty tidy drumming on the second half of that album too.
    Noel has great ear for a tune and he's a decent guitarist. He can write a song, for sure. Beyond that though, I wouldn't try and big him up as a bassist or drummer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭KungPao

I was a BIG fan of both back in the '90s. Oasis were the soundtrack of my mid/late teens...the melodies and Liams voice were a treat. I also listened to a lot of Blur then too, and loved it, but their music didn't 'move' me in the same way. I mean, I remember when "D'you know what I mean?" was released, I thought wow this is as good as it gets. All hype of course.

At the old age of 30 now, and nowadays I kind of cringe when I listen to Oasis' stuff. The Reason? The lyrics....oh dear..all MAN, SOUL, I WANNA, YOU AND ME BE FREE kind of rubbish. And the simplicity that was once refreshing and 'honest' is now just flat. Even Noel's new stuff is the same...good melodies but the songs are just empty.

On the other hand, Blur still sound interesting to me. Leisure is a bit iffy, but they were kids then, but still it has 'Sing', one of their best tracks. MLIR is a fantastic album, a lot of clever songs and quality pop songs too. Parklife, which is basically MLIR part 2, had "This Is a Low"...what a song.

The rest of the albums were quality too.

So for me, Oasis were fantastic in their day but ultimately Blur were superior musicians, better lyricists and a hell of a lot more interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

Oasis. That is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭edgesgirl

Blur. all the way. They have done interesting and varied things in the years since they've broken up. Lets see what Oasis give us

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭smck99

I have to admit that I did not see the poll resulting like this, interesting...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84,341 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

edgesgirl wrote: »
    Blur. all the way. They have done interesting and varied things in the years since they've broken up. Lets see what Oasis give us

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭tim_holsters

Haven't read this thead but I'll just say Oily Water by Blur.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

edgesgirl wrote: »

Why is that a reason to choose them as the better band though? I don't really understand your logic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

smck99 wrote: »

There's a stereotype out there of what kind of fan a band like Oasis has, but there's also a stereotype of what kind of fan a band like Blur has. The latter stereotype are much more likely to use the internet, hence the poll being so close IMO.

Ask such a question in a mag like NME and I'm sure the poll would be a lot more one sided in Oasis' favour.

• Advertisement

There's a stereotype out there of what kind of fan a band like Oasis has, but there's also a stereotype of what kind of fan a band like Blur has. The latter stereotype are much more likely to use the internet,

True that. In fact, stereotyping has proved that most Oasis fans have not mastered the use of the wired telephone, let alone a wireless modem. Obviously a few internet using Blur fans have sold out on boards.ie!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Liked Blur, Loved Oasis.

smck99 wrote: »

There's a stereotype out there of what kind of fan a band like Oasis has, but there's also a stereotype of what kind of fan a band like Blur has. The latter stereotype are much more likely to use the internet, hence the poll being so close IMO.

Ask such a question in a mag like NME and I'm sure the poll would be a lot more one sided in Oasis' favour.

If is affected the poll, then it's not just a stereotype but rather a fact.
    Unless NME has changed since my day (it probably has) Blur would easily win a poll in it. More artsy and gave a better interview (unless brothers swearing unintelligibly at each other is a better interview).
    I liked both and couldn't care less who leads the poll tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Elliemental

Oasis. I cannot abide Blur, but genuinely love Oasis. Damon Albarn is a condescending cock, whereas Noel is a great wit (I rarely read band interviews as I just do not care what these people have to say, regardless of their music. But Oasis interviews were always funny as ****).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Elliemental

Oasis. I cannot abide Blur, but genuinely love Oasis. Damon Albarn is a condescending cock, whereas Noel is a great wit (I rarely read band interviews as I just do not care what these people have to say, regardless of their music. But Oasis interviews were always funny as ****).

You care enough to dislike Blur over it though:D Noel does seem like he'd be great craic to have a few drinks with though.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Can'tseeme

Loved both bands for different reasons. Oasis were just an out and out rock n roll band and Blur a crackin' alternative band, especially their later stuff.

Never thought WTSMG lived up to expectations besides a few songs. I enjoyed the music Oasis made when Andy Bell and Gem joined the band.
    Oasis were never complicated, lyrically not the best, it was always an nostalgic look back at the 60's and 70's but imo there's nothing wrong with that. I'm a big fan of that period of music anyway. Noel can certaily craft a song.

I love the fact that Blur's back catalogue is so different. They never stood still. Love the self titled album, MLIR and Think Tank. Parklife and TGE have some crackin' songs on those albums.

Can'tseeme wrote: »
    Loved both bands for different reasons. Oasis were just an out and out rock n roll band and Blur a crackin' alternative band, especially their later stuff.

Never thought WTSMG lived up to expectations besides a few songs. I enjoyed the music Oasis made when Andy Bell and Gem joined the band.
    Oasis were never complicated, lyrically not the best, it was always an nostalgic look back at the 60's and 70's but imo there's nothing wrong with that. I'm a big fan of that period of music anyway. Noel can certaily craft a song.

I love the fact that Blur's back catalogue is so different. They never stood still. Love the self titled album, MLIR and Think Tank. Parklife and TGE have some crackin' songs on those albums.

Blur covered so many bases. Really captured the Kinks/Smiths kitchen sink drama story telling in their middle period.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭maupat

Loved both bands back in the day.

Would love to see the reformed Blur.

As for the whole Beady Eye Vs Noel Gallagher debate it has to be Noel for me. He was the songwriting genius behind some of Oasis' best songs imho. Therefore I'd much prefer to go to a Noel Gallagher gig as opposed to Beady Eye.

maupat wrote: »
    Loved both bands back in the day.

Would love to see the reformed Blur.

As for the whole Beady Eye Vs Noel Gallagher debate it has to be Noel for me. He was the songwriting genius behind some of Oasis' best songs imho. Therefore I'd much prefer to go to a Noel Gallagher gig as opposed to Beady Eye.

Liam had the voice and the swagger but without the songs, that amounts to very little. A good song sung by a poor singer (not that Noel is a slouch at vocals) always beats a poor song by a great singer (for me anyway).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71,260 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Northern Uproar or Menswear?

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Can'tseeme

Top ten Blur songs:

1. This is a Low
    2. Sing
    3. For Tomorrow
    4. Good Song
    5. Out of Time
    6. On Your Own
    7. Best Days
    8. Girls & Boys
    9. Country Sad Ballad Man
    10. MOR

Top Ten Oasis Songs:

1. Do You Know What I Mean?
    2. Acquiesce
    3. Turn Up the Sun
    4. Supersonic
    5. Cast No Shadow
    6. Stop Crying Your Heart Out
    7. Rock n Roll Star
    8. Whatever
    9. Gas panic
    10. Half the World Away

il gatto wrote: »
    More artsy and gave a better interview (unless brothers swearing unintelligibly at each other is a better interview).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

My thoughts exactly! Noel is surely the funniest man in music and it's not due to his swearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Hannibal

Can'tseeme wrote: »
    Top ten Blur songs:

1. This is a Low
    2. Sing
    3. For Tomorrow
    4. Good Song
    5. Out of Time
    6. On Your Own
    7. Best Days
    8. Girls & Boys
    9. Country Sad Ballad Man
    10. MOR

Top Ten Oasis Songs:

1. Do You Know What I Mean?
    2. Acquiesce
    3. Turn Up the Sun
    4. Supersonic
    5. Cast No Shadow
    6. Stop Crying Your Heart Out
    7. Rock n Roll Star
    8. Whatever
    9. Gas panic
    10. Half the World Away
    I dont know about the Blur list, but the Oasis list I don't agree with so I'll have a go myself
    1. Champagne Supernova
    2. Slide Away
    3. Live Forever
    4. Dont Look Back in Anger
    5. Supersonic
    6. The Importance of Being Idle
    7. Wonderwall
    8. Listen Up
    9. The Masterplan
    10. Little by Little

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭wonderboysam

I love lists! :D

blur:
    1. The Universal (The Great Escape)
    2. Beetlebum (blur)
    3. Country House (The Great Escape)
    4. There's No Other Way (Leisure)
    5. This is a Low (Parklife)
    6. Coffee & TV (13)
    7. No Distance Left to Run (13)
    8. Parklife (Parklife)
    9. End of a Century (Parklife)
    10. Tender (13)

Favourite Album: The Great Escape

Oasis:
    1. Morning Glory (What's The Story Morning Glory)
    2. Whatever (Solo Single/B-side)
    3. Supersonic (Definitely Maybe)
    4. Stop Crying Your Heart Out (Heathen Chemistry)
    5. Dont Go Away (Be Here Now)
    6. Live Forever (Definitely Maybe)
    7. Rock'n'Roll Star (Definitely Maybe)
    8. The Masterplan (B-Side/The Masterplan)
    9. Don't Look Back In Anger (Whats The Story Morning Glory)
    10. Stay Young (B-Side/The Masterplan)

Favourite Album: Whats The Story Morning Glory

these lists change around all the time in my head! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭trashcan

All very interesting kids, but the best of that era, (by an absolute country mile btw) was the mighty Teenage Fanclub. And they're still going strong. Criminally ignored band. Bandwagonesque, Grand Prix, Songs From Northern Britain. They pee all over Blur and Oasis, neither of whom are better than ok, in my humble view.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Deeluu

Blur were a bit too much of a bunch of caricatures in their early work. Their later stuff was interesting but it never reached the consistent brilliance of Morning Glory.... like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Jim_Kiy

I think James where the best band of that era

• Advertisement
Advertisement