Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Boy George Thurles

Options
  • 01-07-2014 3:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭

Was just listening to the radio and Karma Chameleon was playing and I remembered something I heard about a few years that happened in the town.

I was born in the late 80s so wasn't around at the time but according to my dad a lot of the people/businesses in the town put up posters saying they didn't want Thurles TC then TUDC to invite him to visit the town. All the Councillors were against the idea too probably because there was a lot of homophobes in the town sadly in some parts there still is I have gay friends who go through hell (Thurles TC tenants mostly behind it) and local elections were on at the time that year.

Despite recent controversies in Boy Georges life I think Thurles Town Council/Tipperary Council should invite Boy George to come visit Thurles. If Ireland really has changed then I imagine nobody will be objecting to the council sending an invite.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,797 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

I always find it interesting in a way when someone leaves a place that doesn't initially offer them any success, and then they are put out when they become famous and don't bend over backwards to provide a service to said town! Some people have a similar bitterness towards Graham Norton in the same sense, but it was never Ireland who fostered and appreciated his talents.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Cydoniac wrote: »
    I always find it interesting in a way when someone leaves a place that doesn't initially offer them any success, and then they are put out when they become famous and don't bend over backwards to provide a service to said town! Some people have a similar bitterness towards Graham Norton in the same sense, but it was never Ireland who fostered and appreciated his talents.

Boy George isn't actually from Thurles, unlike Norton who is from Bandon. His parents were from Thurles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

MYOB wrote: »
    Boy George isn't actually from Thurles, unlike Norton who is from Bandon. His parents were from Thurles.
    In that case, even worse! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Raven Runner

thurlessign001_zpsf994f9d7.jpg
    thurlessign002_zpsdac5d0c0.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Better than the

Signs

• Registered Users Posts: 5 SliabhnamBan

Yes, I understand that that is corect. I vaguely recall there being a campaign against inviting Boy George back to Thurles at the time. I would hope the attitude would have changed in the meantime. I am also from Tipp. He should be invited back and should be honoured by the County Council there. Time we grew up!

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Uncle Ruckus

I always thought his parents were from Galway. Great artist either way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭SPM1959

I get angry when reading things like this but then realise that it was a long time ago and attitudes have changed greatly all over Ireland.

Advertisement