Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Sony Xperia S

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 994 ✭✭✭carbon nanotube

The xperia s has to be the worst ever phone, had it a week and that was stretching it.

Awful screen response, useless keyboards, and the worst gripe was the 3 android hardware buttons placed within .1 nanometer of the touch screen.

Fail.

I got a HTC one x now and its everything and more the Sony tried to be

• Registered Users Posts: 36,160 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The xperia s has to be the worst ever phone, had it a week and that was stretching it.

Awful screen response, useless keyboards, and the worst gripe was the 3 android hardware buttons placed within .1 nanometer of the touch screen.

Fail.

I got a HTC one x now and its everything and more the Sony tried to be

You must be like the only person in the world to experience lag on the S....

Keyboards...its android....pick your own like...:rolleyes:

Capacitive buttons are fine after a day, you must have fat ass fingers to have trouble.

Have fun with sense:D

Just normal fingers, the invisible buttons on that thing are a joke, the see through rubbish at the bottom does nothing but take up space. Let's be honest here, this retails at .400quid or something here in the UK..lol not a hope is that worth it

Just my opinion. The sgs2 is much better than it

HD screen, 1.5ghz dual core, 1GB, HDMI out, 32GB, 12MP camera....yeah, no, its not worth €430 not at all.

And FYI the bar is there for two reasons:
    1. Its part of the antenna array
    2. They wanted to elongate the phone so that when you hold it the screen is in the ideal place for your thumb, which it is.

I get that you dont like it, but its far from a bad phone. Have a look around XDA and you'll see.

Might be a good phone to you but after using a sgs2 for a year it was brutal, I was delighted to get 280quid for it. Thé one x blows it away.

That plastic window at the bottom is a waste, antenna or not. Sony might have good hardware but they can't design stuff for $h1ts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

naughtb4 wrote: »
    How are you finding the battery in comparison to iPhone?
    I think this thread almost has me convinced

have a 4s since launch and an xperia s about 2.5 weeks now. For whatever reason the battery is much better on the 4s. If i leave both phones lying idle theres not much drain from the 4s. the xperia however drains approx 4% per hour.

Maybe i'm not used to tweaking an android for optimum battery life. Also being so used to the iphone, i'm not a fan of the keyboard or browser. i'm using boat browser, but its still only ok. Thats not taking anything away from the phone, other than that i love it. camera is really good and automatically uploads all photos to my dropbox, which is handy.

I'd appriciate any advice, and recommendations for a keyboard/browser thats better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Anyone know how to network unlock one of these?

have a 4s since launch and an xperia s about 2.5 weeks now. For whatever reason the battery is much better on the 4s. If i leave both phones lying idle theres not much drain from the 4s. the xperia however drains approx 4% per hour.

Maybe i'm not used to tweaking an android for optimum battery life. Also being so used to the iphone, i'm not a fan of the keyboard or browser. i'm using boat browser, but its still only ok. Thats not taking anything away from the phone, other than that i love it. camera is really good and automatically uploads all photos to my dropbox, which is handy.

I'd appriciate any advice, and recommendations for a keyboard/browser thats better

Personally I really like the stock kb on it, has swipe functionality as standard at all. If you dont like it though try Swiftkey, it costs a few bob but there's a trial.

Browser wise, I like dolphin(standard), but it does have bugs on pages with large amounts of flash content. Opera Mobile(not mini) is quite nice, I used to use that when I needed proxy settings. If you wait for ICS you will get Google Chrome, which rocks.
    Ghandee wrote: »

XDA devs are still working on an exploit. ETA unknown.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

I would recommend Swiftkey - give it the 1 month trial and you will never need another keyboard - its class

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭billbond4

Do you have mobile data turned on?
    If you do and you want to use it reguaarly then you will need something like Juice defender that turns off mobile data when the screen turns off.

Also in settings ---> Wireless & networks --> Wifi settings --> Advanced --> wifi Sleep policy , Set it to "when screen turns off"
    Then Save

• Advertisement

Another good app I find is Timerific

It allows you to set up profiles based on time and I think it saves a lot a battery juice – for example.... I leave home at 8AM for work and I get to work at 8.30 each day and I have set app to turn on Bluetooth and turn off wifi at 8am (while I am in the car) and then at 8.30 the app is set to go on silent profile and turn off all data to save battery. At 5pm when I leave work its set to turn on Bluetooth and then at 5.30 it turns off Bluetooth and turns on wifi when I get home.
    This way you can define what runs at specific times of the day

Another way would be to use the NFC capabilities of the Xperia S to set specific profiles according to your location

Moral is – try to turn off all unnecessary power hungry resources when not needed

yeah, thats another good tip
    I use Myprofiles lite ( free version)
    to automate when to change the screen brightness, turn off wifi etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

What firmware are you using, iv heard .73 is a significant battery improvement

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

thanks for the tips, i'll def check them out. i'm on 2.3.7 kernel 2.6.35.11 build 6.0.A.3.67.

i'm currently on 23% after 20h 44mins off charge. the phone seems to awaken a lot when the screen is off according to the graph in settings.

Yeah, you should get the 6.0.A.3.73 firmware, that has battery and wifi fixes

I think upgrading the firmware should help alot.

There are other tips on the XDA forum. Think theres a programme which is causing it to use power when in sleep

When is ICS expected to land on this thing?

This quarter is all we know.

In <3:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,413 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

ED E wrote: »
    Personally I really like the stock kb on it, has swipe functionality as standard at all.

How am I only finding out about this now? :pac:

Thanks for the heads-up! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Personally I really like the stock kb on it, has swipe functionality as standard at all. If you dont like it though try Swiftkey, it costs a few bob but there's a trial.

Must say that I agree here. I have been using SwiftKey for the last couple of years but since getting the Experia S a couple of weeks ago I haven't bothered activating Swiftkey on it. The stock keyboard is very good...well, once I figured out that tapping the spacebar twice quickly put in a full stop that is :D

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭manu2009

Ghandee wrote: »

35e from here, hopefully there'll be a few cheaper options soon or a free unlock from xda

• Registered Users Posts: 12,731 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I work for a major phone retailer (who deal with all networks ;) ) and we recently got correspondence from our head office that there is an email address you can contact to get the NFC tags for your phone if your phone didn't come with them. I can't remember the exact details but you can contact the retailer you got your phone from to find out more.
    (Legal note, I am not being told by my employers to tell you this, I'm doing it out of courtesy, please do not PM me or contact me about any matters relating to my work, thank you)

Yeah, i was sent those details the other day!
    Have sent an email with the details required, but yet to hear back! Not sure if i will hear back or not, they'll probably just send me the tags :)

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭manu2009

marcbrophy wrote: »
    Yeah, i was sent those details the other day!
    Have sent an email with the details required, but yet to hear back! Not sure if i will hear back or not, they'll probably just send me the tags :)

Any chance you could pm me the email address? Didn't get any with mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

hmmm....didn't get any either from meteor online store...

manu2009 wrote: »
    Any chance you could pm me the email address? Didn't get any with mine.

Sent!

Is there anyway to get .73 in ireland yet?

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Is there anyway to get .73 in ireland yet?

Yeah, you can do it unofficially. BUUUUT, it means unlocking the bootloader, which voids your warranty. And with the yellow tint issue I wouldnt do that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Yeah, you can do it unofficially. BUUUUT, it means unlocking the bootloader, which voids your warranty. And with the yellow tint issue I wouldnt do that.

Warrenty should still be valid for hardware faults. Is with HTCs bootloader unlock anyway

Advertisement