Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Sony Xperia S

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭billbond4

Mods really should make an android handset forum and also an android application forum really, same for windows mobile

• Registered Users Posts: 36,160 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Lads, if you have an issue with the thread is use the report button, dont fill it with OT chat.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

ED E wrote: »
    Lads, if you have an issue with the thread is use the report button, dont fill it with OT chat.

Oh the irony ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,413 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

I never got any smart tags with mine either! O2 from CPW.
    I was going to buy the 4-pack on amazon UK, but then I thought, would I really use these?

So, I'm wondering, for anyone who received these with their phone, do you reckon you'll use these things besides the first week of novelty use?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,003 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

billbond4 wrote: »
    Mods really should make an android handset forum and also an android application forum really, same for windows mobile

There is an android forum and a mobile application forum already.

• Advertisement

You might use the smarttags for some things, maybe like turning on BT, GPS, and Sat Nav app, in your car before you go on drive etc.
    Strange that the CPW didnt have any, maybe as my mate got an early version from CPW, he got the 4 tags in the box, and it was also unlocked.

marcbrophy wrote: »
    I never got any smart tags with mine either! O2 from CPW.
    I was going to buy the 4-pack on amazon UK, but then I thought, would I really use these?

So, I'm wondering, for anyone who received these with their phone, do you reckon you'll use these things besides the first week of novelty use?

Thanks!

The Sony tags arent great as they have a very small capacity, but with larger ones you can store a fair bit more. Currently I have two "set-up". One is on my charging cable, so when I come home and plug it in, wifi is turned on and volume to loud(no data off option yet). The other one is stuck to the corner of my screen as below. When I touch it it triggers My Phone Exporer to start up and connect, allowing me to quickly push files to and from the phone. I probably should add wifi on to it, just to be sure.

The tags are only a gimmick though, the main thing is the ability to touch transfer with other NFC devices(not common yet, but give it 6 months).

DSC_0036.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,413 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Thanks All,

I might buy them so seperately.
    I need to stop myself buying gadgets that I don't need :pac:

Little note for S owners, dont bother with older SE Chargers. Was using my x10s(as it was already wired in in a tricky spot) but after noticing very slow charging I checked outputs, 700 and 850ma. It will take a long time to charge an S on 700. I think the Arc/Neo chargers are 800 but dont quote me on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,731 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Update on getting the phone. Sadly Vodafone say they can't push forward the upgrade 15 months into an 18 month contract (even with the promise of entering into a 24 month one). I'll just have to wait it out and hope the phone is still around on Vodafone in 2 months time. :(

• Advertisement

Do vf do early upgrades like o2?
    You would be paying more for phone but you get it without having to wait till contract ends

• Registered Users Posts: 12,731 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Nope, sadly the only way I'd get it today would be to cough up the €429 prepay price for it, you see probably a factor in the refusal is the fact I'm only on the €35pm old plan which charges you per minute and text for off net and on that plan, even with the insurance added I wasn't exceeding €45pm which was the price of the next plan up.
    But enough about contract woes. Get the topic back on track with tales of how great/awful the phone is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

flazio wrote: »
    Nope, sadly the only way I'd get it today would be to cough up the €429 prepay price for it, you see probably a factor in the refusal is the fact I'm only on the €35pm old plan which charges you per minute and text for off net and on that plan, even with the insurance added I wasn't exceeding €45pm which was the price of the next plan up.
    But enough about contract woes. Get the topic back on track with tales of how great/awful the phone is.

Hmm. I got offered an upgrade 2 months early on same contract recently via the Vodafone forum here recently. Didn't bother though. Went to meteor to get the experia s as it was a lot cheaper. Give it a try.

Just made this post on XDA and thought it might be of use to anyone on boards looking at the S.
    Was listening to some music today and decided to bring my good cans on the commute despite them being open backed just to see how the S drove them. After an hour I realised there was an issue. Volume was marginal but that was always expected but when I'd burned 20% battery I copped the problem. 2x250Ohm per side is a bit too much for the amp in the S to handle. I suspect the same is true for most phones. If anyone has used similar on another phone I'd love some input on this.
    Headphones: Beyerdynamic DT-990 Pro, 250Ohm version
    Players: gMusic
    screenshot_2012-04-09_0107_1.png
    Sound reproduction quite good, very good in mobile terms, despite the amp being at its limits. Found it most enjoyable with the base boosted just a little, modern electronic trains one to like it :P With battery drain though its not practical.

Following on from this I've started testing other headphones/earphones. My regular full size that I use most of the time around the house and when I'm DJing are the HD205's. Basically HD25's for the poor. Its my second pair, thats how much I like em. Very good value for money.
    Headphones: Sennheiser HD205
    Players: Stock, gMusic, Tinyshark
    screenshot_2012-04-09_0106.png
    Volume fine with this, ~80% most of the time. gMusic even with a flat EQ seems like it sounds just a tad nicer. Added a tiny bit of bass, but again thats me being accustomed to it. Overall very happy with it.

Now to the stock(in the box) plugs. I've never really used the headphones that came with anything. iPod ones(never bought an ipod, just won one!) are dirt. The ones with the k750i and C902 were pretty dud too. Pair with the X10 were acceptable. And I have to say these are a step up again :)
    Headphones: Sony MH1C
    screenshot_2012-04-09_0140.png
    As with all in ear plugs, fitting is EVERYTHING. The sound is dependant on the seal which depends on how you fit them and bud you use. I had to play with them for a while to find the sweetspot, it ended up being quite deep into my ear with the standard buds(my ears are pretty average size it would seem). With this done they are way better than any other "free" phones I've used. Little mushy mid range, but grand none the less. Build quality is very nice also, I love ribbon cables. IMO though the right plugs cable should join at the same side as the lefts so you dont have this weird loop at your neck. Its minor though. The low profile jack is a big plus. Would see myself using these in work probably.

Next up, a set of earbuds that I'm on my third pair of. For something that's consumable I think these represent very good value for money when you take account of their relative longevity.
    Headphones: Sennheiser CX300 II's
    screenshot_2012-04-09_0140.png
    Flat eq again, these are pretty accurate for plugs so I left it clean. Got a little clipping on the highs of "I Remember" by deadmau5. I'm biased but these worked very well, pretty satisfied.

Lastly lets go wireless. Bear in mind these guys are oooold. And they've taken a bit of a beating at this stage.
    Headphones: Motorola HT820 Bluetooth Stereo
    screenshot_2012-04-09_0321.png
    These aren't great, never were. Battery life is very good but the cushions aren't held tight enough against your ear and during rush hour they get drowned out. That said they were only €45 when such things were relatively new tech and quite expensive. Bass reproduction is fine on but the clashy highs are harsh on the ears. Generally they do better with calmer tracks, 40mm driver fails to impress with crescendos. The EQ above was good for electronic, but wasnt so great for some acoustic guitar stuff. Music controls worked fine as you'd expect with the A2DP protocol. Pairing is childs play.

Radio:
    Thank god they included this in the S. After having one in my previous phones not having it in the X10 was a total head-wrecker. App wise its lovely, nice interface that I cant fault. Reception is good-moderate with a long cable(3M) and moderate-acceptable with a shorter cable(1.2m). FM is FM and one cant expect too much from it. Very listenable and its a function I will use a lot. <3
    screenshot_2012-04-09_0245.png

Overall:
    I'd rate myself as a moderate audiophile. Testing was done with 320 MP3's(with a few exceptions). For me the sound was completely up to standard with what I'd expect from a phone. As a bit of background I'm a DJ and my soundcards are a Creative Fatal1ty and a Numark DJ IO. I own a PA rig but thats useless for such testing. If you wanna see the kind of music I listen to check here(horribly mainstream), though not everything gets scrobbled. http://www.last.fm/user/SimonTheDub

Finally, assuming 100 is the top score this is how I'd rate the above headphones:
    95 DT990
    90 HD205
    75 CX300
    55 MH1C
    40 HT820

#Tired fingers
    Scratch

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Torn massivly between this and waiting for the One S/One X

How are people who have it finding it particularily around battery life?

naughtb4 wrote: »

There's a two week settle time, gets much better during this.

Firmware .62 is quite bad for battery life, .67 is little better but .73 is a huge improvement. With that you're up to about 16hrs of average usage on XDA from my read of things.

Its worth noting that the quad wont necessarily be of much use in many situations, ad power wise its not gonna help at least(companion core is a lovely idea, but its yet to be proven).

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭manu2009

Was also debating whether to get the one s or the xperia s but went for the xperia in the end mainly because of the screen, it's alot better, also 32gb vs 16gb storage and the cheaper price played a role in it aswell.

manu2009 wrote: »
    Was also debating whether to get the one s or the xperia s but went for the xperia in the end mainly because of the screen, it's alot better, also 32gb vs 16gb storage and the cheaper price played a role in it aswell.

Happy with the decision so far?

Coming from an Iphone 3Gs, so not 100% on whats what on android, but from looking at reviews the lack of ICS seems a bit of a sticking point

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

All of the current Xperia's will get ICS, thats one of the pros for them.

Coming from an Iphone 3Gs, so not 100% on whats what on android, but from looking at reviews the lack of ICS seems a bit of a sticking point

Its coming, dont worry, just sony aren't giving us a hard date. Seems like the first batch will be pushed it by the end of this month.

Its a shame that it didnt come with ICS originally, but I assume that would have delayed release too much, and even with GB its a great phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭mal1

The screen protector that i got with the xperia s bubbled a lot when i got it. So i had no protector on it for the last week but been looking after it and keeping it in a pouch. Noticed today that there's a really thin scratch on the screen. So thin it's hard to see, only when the screen is showing something white. Too thin to be form a key or something similar. I thought the screen was scratch proof. It's advertised as scratch proof. I wonder if i have any comeback for this? I'm thinking probably not

• Registered Users Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

mal1 wrote: »
    The screen protector that i got with the xperia s bubbled a lot when i got it. So i had no protector on it for the last week but been looking after it and keeping it in a pouch. Noticed today that there's a really thin scratch on the screen. So thin it's hard to see, only when the screen is showing something white. Too thin to be form a key or something similar. I thought the screen was scratch proof. It's advertised as scratch proof. I wonder if i have any comeback for this? I'm thinking probably not

Are you sure it's the screen, Xperia's tend to ship with two screen protectors attached - the really obvious shipping one and a second underneath that most people don't even know is there?

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭mal1

Are you sure it's the screen, Xperia's tend to ship with two screen protectors attached - the really obvious shipping one and a second underneath that most people don't even know is there?

Ah...Oafley. you're onto something there. God i feel stupid for trying to put a screen protector on a screen protector.

mal1 wrote: »
    Ah...Oafley. you're onto something there. God i feel stupid for trying to put a screen protector on a screen protector.

It happens ALL the time with SE/Sony phones. It was just the shipping cover that bubbled up, the actual screen protector, and the glass itself are very hardy. Some people get away with no protector at all(it can give better responsiveness) though I woulnt risk it myself.

Happy so far, love the screen and im coming from an iphone 4s, just always get sick of iphones after a while and go back to android, stupid things like not being able to select songs as ringtones on iphone drive me mad at times.

Anyway ya its a great phone, would recommend it, wouldn't worry too much with it not having ics as it'll be getting it soon enough anyway and with the skins(touchwiz, sense) all the manufacturers put over it, it doesnt make much difference.

Happy so far, love the screen and im coming from an iphone 4s, just always get sick of iphones after a while and go back to android, stupid things like not being able to select songs as ringtones on iphone drive me mad at times.

Anyway ya its a great phone, would recommend it, wouldn't worry too much with it not having ics as it'll be getting it soon enough anyway and with the skins(touchwiz, sense) all the manufacturers put over it, it doesnt make much difference.

Thanks,

Tried it out in the shop the other day (One S felt alot easier to hold), seemed a little bit to big for my hand, think ill do somemore tests over the weekend and make a decision

Thanks,

Tried it out in the shop the other day (One S felt alot easier to hold), seemed a little bit to big for my hand, think ill do somemore tests over the weekend and make a decision

The reason i picked it over the one s was the better screen, 32gb storage and the price i got it for.

Thanks,

The reason i picked it over the one s was the better screen, 32gb storage and the price i got it for.
    How are you finding the battery in comparison to iPhone?
    I think this thread almost has me convinced

• Registered Users Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Thanks,

I actually found the opposite - I found the One S too long and i couldnt reach the top of the screen with my thumb while holding it in the palm

• Advertisement

How are you finding the battery in comparison to iPhone?
    I think this thread almost has me convinced

Battery is pretty similiar, maybe a tiny bit worse, wont no til ive charged it a few more times.

It depends really what your looking for, i like htc's because of the build quality, have had a legend, desire, sensation and sensation xe, not really mad on sense though, i like sony's new ui on the xperia s.

Advertisement