Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Pregnancy Chat Thread!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Elen

They are pricey but soooo worth it!
    On the other hand, we have spent so much money already in all the bits a pieces for the baby that I do not think my husband could afford to get me an eternity ring.

Is everyone else broke buying all the baby stuff??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Trinity

Elen wrote:
    They are pricey but soooo worth it!
    On the other hand, we have spent so much money already in all the bits a pieces for the baby that I do not think my husband could afford to get me an eternity ring.

Is everyone else broke buying all the baby stuff??

I havent bought much yet. We swore we would buy everything new but i got a lovely swing and highchair off adverts for little or nothing. They looked like they had come out of a shop, perfect nick.

I felt bad buying second hand but the house is taking up all my money.

Cousin offered me a pram and MIL offered to buy me a new one, cos my favoiurite colours are brown and beige.

Sure enough when i saw my cousins pram it was brown and beige with all accessories and again, like new so i am not sure whether i should buy one now. It wouldnt make sense only out of pride!

what do you guys think - wrong to use a second hand one? I did turn down my sisters pram as it had been in the shed so i am not using anything shabby or anything

• Registered Users Posts: 21 smellytinker

Trinity1 wrote:
    I havent bought much yet. We swore we would buy everything new but i got a lovely swing and highchair off adverts for little or nothing. They looked like they had come out of a shop, perfect nick.

I felt bad buying second hand but the house is taking up all my money.

Cousin offered me a pram and MIL offered to buy me a new one, cos my favoiurite colours are brown and beige.

Sure enough when i saw my cousins pram it was brown and beige with all accessories and again, like new so i am not sure whether i should buy one now. It wouldnt make sense only out of pride!

what do you guys think - wrong to use a second hand one? I did turn down my sisters pram as it had been in the shed so i am not using anything shabby or anything
    I found a use for all my sisters in Law! Loads of Baby cloths/blankets/bibs even a cot! I'm hoping we'll get some nice cloths for when the baby is on show and just use the hand me downs for the everyday mess!

Do you think it would be a bit cheeky to do up a little "Baby needs" list (like a wedding present list)??

I found a use for all my sisters in Law! Loads of Baby cloths/blankets/bibs even a cot! I'm hoping we'll get some nice cloths for when the baby is on show and just use the hand me downs for the everyday mess!

Do you think it would be a bit cheeky to do up a little "Baby needs" list (like a wedding present list)??

Not really. i never buy baby presents only vouchers or money because you never know what everyone else is getting. baby ends up with 3 bouncers, 4 the same outfits etc.

And i always ask first is there anything you NEED!! Most say no and if they do its vouchers or money all the way! I prefer if they tell me what to get at least i know its of use and will be appreciated. But thats just me!

See, my baby is a first... first son, first grandson, first cousin, etc... we do not have anyone who can give us anything. I definitely do not think second hand stuff is bad, specially from family. Somethings like the car chairs they say should not be older than 5 years, but anything else, if it is in good nick I think it is grand.

Many people do baby wish list, but I do ask people as well before buying anything... so it is all the same

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Elen wrote:
    See, my baby is a first... first son, first grandson, first cousin, etc... we do not have anyone who can give us anything. I definitely do not think second hand stuff is bad, specially from family. Somethings like the car chairs they say should not be older than 5 years, but anything else, if it is in good nick I think it is grand.

Many people do baby wish list, but I do ask people as well before buying anything... so it is all the same
    I was told to get a new matress for a cot if its s/h. And not to pass on soft toys from someone else. As for carseats, you need to be sure they were never in a crash. Other than that I think its wrong NOT to use handed on prams, clothes etc. My friends and I pass stuff like bouncers, toilet training seats, walkers and huge amounts of baby clothes among each other as our kids grow and new babies arrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 smellytinker

KtK wrote:
    I was told to get a new matress for a cot if its s/h. And not to pass on soft toys from someone else. As for carseats, you need to be sure they were never in a crash. Other than that I think its wrong NOT to use handed on prams, clothes etc. My friends and I pass stuff like bouncers, toilet training seats, walkers and huge amounts of baby clothes among each other as our kids grow and new babies arrive.
    It's definitely WRONG when my mother offers to give me a pram that is older then me and you'd be more likely to see bananas in it on Henry St.!!!!

Smelly, I suposse in that case...

I just had to buy all new, but I suposse I will have it for the second baby now

It's definitely WRONG when my mother offers to give me a pram that is older then me and you'd be more likely to see bananas in it on Henry St.!!!!

PMSL :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shelli

I just can't resist buying baby stuff, we have soooo much already! :D

Wasn't around yesterday as we had our first false alarm!! Starting getting pains around 5am, but didn't want to rush into hospital so I left it till I the afternoon when I had an appointment anyway. Had to have an internal, not nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be.....anyway, it was what he called "false labour", contractions that don't do anything, no dialation nothing. Was a god practice, but I'm glad he's waited for a little bit, my TENS machine only arrived today, so I'm all set to go should he decide to make an appearance. Doc did say that head is fully engaged, so he's ready to arrive any day now. Gonna start with the hot currys, pineapple, hot baths nad hopefully some hot s*x.......plenty of walks too! :D

I'm so excited now, was a little scared yesterday, but more excited really!

• Advertisement

OMG Shelli, that must be so excited, you are nearly there!!!

On the other hand, does anyone know how frequent doctors appointments get after the 28th week?
    I have my next one at 27 and heard that they get more frequent then.

BTW I am 25 weeks today :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

The good old Braxton Hicks contractions or flaselabour.

They are you body basically doing a warm up for the 'big event'.

Thaedydal wrote:
    The good old Braxton Hicks contractions or flaselabour.

They are you body basically doing a warm up for the 'big event'.

Been getting those for weeks. Same happened on my first though. Strong enough to show up on the machine (i call it the richter scale!)

Everyone told me i would know when it was real labour - and believe me i did!!

Wont be long now Shelli :o

Elen, congrats on hitting 25 weeks but i cant remember how often the appointments are, am 27 weeks since wednesday so only been having appointments every 6 weeks so far. Next scan and appointment is next thursday so will let you know!!

I've had hospital visits every 4 weeks since wk 27, with a GP visit in between. Now it's two weeks with GP in between.

Doc says that BH and false labour are different. You can have painless BH but you can't have painless false labour, basically in false labour you get proper contractions, but they just don't do what they're supposed to. BH is the tightening of the urterus in preperation for labour.....kind of like it's excercising.

I never knew this until yesterday, I just assumed they were the same thing.

I have only had one OP appointment in hospital so far + the scan.
    I had lots of GP ones as my GP wanted me to be seen at least every 4 weeks.

Is there another scan (after the 20 weeks) I thought that was the only one...

Elen wrote:
    I have only had one OP appointment in hospital so far + the scan.
    I had lots of GP ones as my GP wanted me to be seen at least every 4 weeks.

Is there another scan (after the 20 weeks) I thought that was the only one...

First one is between 12-14 weeks generally and then you have the big one around 22 weeks (fetal assessment).

Only reason i get so many is due to my history and at the last one, 22 weeks, he moved so much they couldnt get a good look at his heart thats why i have one next week.

RUle of thumb i believe is 3. One near the end.

I have had 5 so far!!

In Holles St, on a low risk pregnancy, you only get one scan, the 22wk one.

I had one at 13wks but I had to request it from my GP and she wrote me a letter, just because I was so unsure of my dates.

The I had my private 3d one.

I think you have one more in Holles St if you go past 41wks.

Hows everyone feeling today anyway?

he's still in there, my little lodger will turn into a squatter soon!!

I swear I'll never want another curry in my life after this is over! And clary sage smells yuck!

I'm just gonna try not to think about it, my OH is cooking me a nice omlette now and Ill enjoy a relaxing bath afterwards.....hmm think I'll even crack out the chocolate fountain as a treat...won't feel too guilty if I dip fruit instead of marshmallows, it's still kinda healthy right?? I wonder what chocolate covered pineapple tastes like....we'll soon find out! :D

Hows everyone else feeling these days??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Hi,
    I am doing good; I was working 7 days in a row and was exhausted, but now I have a week off. Starting to show already, which I didn't expect as it is my first, but I do have a slim frame and with twins I suppose it happens earlier.

With twins you will have double the growth and double the weight as they grown.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭MrsA

Hi Everyone,
    I am more of a lurker on here than anything but, now that I am pregnant I am thrilled to see a "pregnant chat" going on.
    We are just over 15 weeks pregnant on our second child. Our Son is 14 and was very much a surprise way back when.
    This baby took some work getting in there but, we are thrilled to bits and really looking forward to January.

Looking forward to chatting with you all.

M

Aw, congrats Mrs A!! Hope all goes well for you.

Gosh Silja, starting to show already! I remember looking at my belly and wishing for a proper bump to appear, it was Jan/Feb then and I just looked liked I totally overdid it at Christmas....jellybelly is was affectionately called! :D Now I can't even see my feet, let alone bend over! I will miss it when it's gone though I think, although I can't wait to sleep on my tummy again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

Hope it's ok if I join, 13 weeks this week, can not wait!

Hi Geailgegrinds, congrats!!

Thanks, I'm dying to know all about how this is going to go for me & also any tips? Advice? I can't wait til I LOOK pregnant!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

I had my first check up with my GP today, at 9 weeks 5 days. I gained 3 kilo! She said it is good weight gain for a twin pregnancy, as I am naturally slim and so early weight gain is important, though weight is seen much less as an indicator of a healthy pregnancy compared to previous decades. My womb is already starting to rise out of my pelvis a bit, hence me showing. Blood pressure is fine (first time I went, a couple of days after we got BFP, it was too high, but that is because I was excited/ scared/ overwhelmed).

I told her about being worried about my protein intake, being a vegetarian, but she said as long as I eat plenty of milk products and eat an egg a day as well as some pulses/ grains etc, I'll be fine, as the babies will simply take what they need from my body. I also asked her about working until mid January (I love my work and our busiest time in November/ December), and she said that, while it'll depend on the size and weight of the babies and how I feel, it is unlikely that I'll be able to work past mid December, at least not full-time (as my job involves being on my feet for about half my shift, dealing with angry customers etc- plus even the walk to work might be too difficult).

I was prepared for a bloodletting for various tests but she said we didn't need to do them as I already had all relevant tests (HIV, rubella etc) as part of the fertility treatment. She also said to be prepared for getting clumsy soon as my pelvis expands. Then she signed by combined care card and I was off- it was odd not having to pay, but nice!

I feel highly negligent now...I didn't even know at nine weeks...

The circumstances are very differnet when you are delibrately getting pregant and when you are having fertitlity treatments.

I knew before I missed my period what I was pregant but i also know someone who was 6 months pregant before she found out as she had never had a regular cycle didn't suffer much morning sickness.

Don't feel so bad now, we were trying to get prgnant but I suppose I didn't want to think I was in case I wasn't.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 karen87

hey its my first time in this chat i am 19 weeks and 2 days i am so excited! i couldn't wait to get pregnant i used to do tests just randomly always wishing! have you had bad morning sickness? i still get it?!

Advertisement