Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Do I need a STI Test?

Options
  • 16-11-2014 3:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hello! Just need a few things clearing up.
    I'm a 20 year old girl, and I'm in a relationship with my girlfriend. I'm pretty sure my girlfriend had a STI test before we became sexually active. She's the first girl that I've had sexual intercourse with, but she's had many partners before me. If she's clean, do I need to get a test?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

Tbh its just good practice to get in the habit of getting tested regularly for your own peace of mind.

The only way to be 100% sure you're safe is to get tested.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,795 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Has she been tested?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 25 serendipity i am

Has she been tested?

Yes. She did get tested. If she's clean, surely I don't need one?

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Ash885

If you ask the question do you need one, then it is within the realm of possiblity that you do. I'd prefer peace of mind and get one then it maybe always being in the back of your mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 theperson2014

How do two women have "intercourse" lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,795 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

How do two women have "intercourse" lol

Use your imagination or......

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Ash885 wrote: »
    If you ask the question do you need one, then it is within the realm of possiblity that you do. I'd prefer peace of mind and get one then it maybe always being in the back of your mind.

Thanks for the advice. Not sure if I fancy a doctor poking about up there, but if it'll make me relax then it would be better than nothing.

Thanks for the advice. Not sure if I fancy a doctor poking about up there, but if it'll make me relax then it would be better than nothing.

Depending on what you want to test for, sometimes its just a urine and blood test. No poking involved. Unless you have symptoms that they need to examine
    But tbh if you're mature enough to be having sex and being intimate with someone then you need to be mature enough to get past the awkwardness of things like that. Better a few minutes of discomfort and knowing for sure than avoiding it and hoping for the best :)

Tasden wrote: »
    Depending on what you want to test for, sometimes its just a urine and blood test. No poking involved. Unless you have symptoms that they need to examine
    But tbh if you're mature enough to be having sex and being intimate with someone then you need to be mature enough to get past the awkwardness of things like that. Better a few minutes of discomfort and knowing for sure than avoiding it and hoping for the best :)

Why would blood/urine tests be needed? Any particular reason, or as a precaution?

Why would blood/urine tests be needed? Any particular reason, or as a precaution?

What do you mean? That's how they test for STIs, to see if the infection is in your system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

Blood and urine tests are the samples they take to check for STI's in a screening panel. They will do a physical exam if you have anything you mention down below or have any questions about something there. As with the others in this thread, I'd recommend getting the test done. It's quick and easy and once the first one is out of the way you'll see how relaxed an environment it is and have no fear if you ever feel you need another.

It's just clever to go and get one so you can look after your health and have peace of mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Dingle_berry

Yes. She did get tested. If she's clean, surely I don't need one?

All infections have an incubation period where it may not be detectable or symptomatic. There are "silent" or a symptomatic infections too.

If you are anxious regarding the physical exam explain this to the clinicians. You can request a clinician of a specific gender or to be accompanied by a nurse, anything that makes it easier for you.

You should also register for smear tests and get them done regularly when sexually active

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

All infections have an incubation period where it may not be detectable or symptomatic. There are "silent" or a symptomatic infections too.

If you are anxious regarding the physical exam explain this to the clinicians. You can request a clinician of a specific gender or to be accompanied by a nurse, anything that makes it easier for you.

You should also register for smear tests and get them done regularly when sexually active

There is also the chance she is being dishonest about either being tested or the results.

When it comes to sexual health, you should never take somebody at face value unless you truly know and trust them (that's unlikely to be the case in relatively new relationships).

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

As peace of mind goes, regular STI checks are one of the easiest and cheapest forms of comfort around. If you're sexually active then it's a good habit to get into regardless of history, length of relationship etc. And encourage your partner to do the same.

Sounds good! Think I'll get the courage to get tested

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Don't forget to start scheduling regular smear tests when the time comes. It's recommended ALL women have regular smear tests after age 25, regardless of whether you sleep with men or not. It's surprising the amount of women who think if they're a virgin or are exclusively sleeping with women they don't need to have a smear test, and breast exams.

Don't forget to start scheduling regular smear tests when the time comes. It's recommended ALL women have regular smear tests after age 25, regardless of whether you sleep with men or not. It's surprising the amount of women who think if they're a virgin or are exclusively sleeping with women they don't need to have a smear test, and breast exams.

Yeah I'll be certain to get those done once the time comes. I'm young enough to have gotten the vaccine when in school. It's still important.

Advertisement