Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

'Radeon 9800pro' VS 'Nvidia FX 5900'

• 14-06-2003 10:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭

Which do you think is better? I want to buy one and I don't know whick one is better. Please give your opinion. Thanx.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Drunk pirate

I was going to buy a Nvidia FX 5900 yesterday but I lost 50 Euro's somewhere and I had to buy a 64m GeForce 4. Absololutly devastated........:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭jow

Hi,

I would go for a Radeon....

In most tests the speed is more or less the same (in some games advantages for Radeon (UT2003) in some NVidia (Serious Sam 2), but the quality of the aliasing is much better with the Radeon.

So if you don't need the 3D stereo glasses go for the Radeon.

In my opinion this could be the only reason for choosing the NVidia. The GF ist still much noisier, it needs two slots space and the cooling is a bit tricky.

jow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Lewcifer

defo go for the 5900 the 5800 ultra is about the same as the 9800 but its waaaaaaaaay 2 loud. the 5900 and ultra are way quieter (bout the same as the 9800) and are better than it neway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

http://www.hothardware.com/hh_files/S&V/r9800256mb_gffx5900upd.shtml

have a look, the 5900 i think performs slightly better all round, but i'd go for the radeon for , like jow said, the anti aliasing and better image quality

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

except in Quake3 :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

And Splinter Cell too suprisingly

They're are a whole lot of comparisons of the 2 cards out there and all the ones I've seen haven't found an out-and-out winner. They're fairly evenly matched. The benchmarks go back and forth between them. For UT2003, it all depends on the choice of map.

I'd go for whatever one you can get cheaper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭Adrian

I've been reading about the two cards on other sites and I now believe that Nvidia's FX 5900 ULTRA 256mb card is the best overall. It has alot of potential. I think whats bringing it down is its drivers. Once these are updated it will be King. Well thats my bet. Keep giving your opinions. I'm sure there are ppl that disagree with me. Please share your opinion. Thanx

• Registered Users Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭weemcd

noone has a 5900 on this forum yet so how would they know, they talk as if they own one, but just copy their "opinion" from some website

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

True and it's sure taking a long time for the card to come out also. It's shoddy marketing tactics really, the card has been reviewed for ages ago and it's still not widely available yet.

And with nvidia false 3dmark scores who can really believe that this card is faster in real life performance. Ati have a widely available, respected card with top level performance at a price for less than the 5900 that doesn't sound like an 747 taking off and doesn't use 2 slots.

Originally posted by weemcd
    noone has a 5900 on this forum yet so how would they know, they talk as if they own one, but just copy their "opinion" from some website

Well I don't think he was expecting to find someone on the forum who has both cards and can give a first hand comparison :)

Benchmarks and reviews are really the only way to compare them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭Adrian

I agree with Mr.Pink. Besides I think the deal with Nvidias drivers and the benchmarks is a rumor started by Radeon. Its prob not true.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Hey MrPink how does a student manage to have both the Nvidia Fx5900 and the Radeon 9800 Pro ??

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tazzle

5900 looks like a winner in a few benchmarks ive seen, it's also far quieter than it's previous incarnations, i'd give it the thumbs up

Advertisement