Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What's your IP Mapping Layout?

Options
  • 02-08-2014 6:26pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'd be interested to see how other Admins layout their IP Addresses. Do you stay simple at 192.168.1.x or do you keep wireless clients on 10.0.0.x etc.

Just wondering really. I prefer to stay at 10.x.x.x since there is more room to play with but have seen others differentiate in different (or sometimes random) ways.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

192.168.1.x is for home networks and SMEs. You won't find it in proper enterprise environments, especially when you start dealing with dozens of sites and all the routing involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Our enterprise network (MPLS) is on a 10.X. X. X subnet.

The project I work on support for is also an MPLS network using the 172.16.X. X. (CIDR) Subnet.
    Each site has a different value for the 3rd octet.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 p4xel

It all depends on how big network you plan.
    For big network that requires a huge pool of 16 million private IP addresses, multiple sites/subnets you would use Class A network 10.0.0.0 - 10.255.255.255 (10/8 prefix).
    For medium-sized network that requires 65000 private IP addresses you would use Class B network, 172.16.0.0 - 172.31.255.255
    Commonly used IP range on smaller network for easier addressing of 254 IP addresses you would use Class C network, 192.168.0.0 - 192.168.255.255. May not necessarily be smaller network but network managed in smaller blocks. Not very flexible if you want to create VLANs/subnets. Best for home or small office.

I personally have a mix of all three, as I've inherited it from previous admin. It is a pain in the arse to manage and I slowly migrate it to Class B.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭jamesd

What IP range would you use for say 3000 addresses max ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

For small business I used 192.168.x.x/24. Now that I'm working at enterprise level, it's all been 10.x.x.x with various subnets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭opus

10.x.x.x where I work as well, plenty of room in that range.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭qwertz

Mainly 10.x.x.x with some very specific exceptions for DMZ, partner VPNs and similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Like qwertz we mix it up, but mainly 10...

Advertisement