Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

IEC 2014 Discussion/Stage 1 - READ FIRST POST BEFORE POSTING

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 jj1987

Hi,
    I was wondering how long do people think it will be before the IEC visas run out this year? I'm currently working in a casual job I don't particularly like and have been thinking about quitting it after Christmas so that I don't miss out when the visas are released.I work long hours, usually 7am to 7pm and would hate to miss out if the visas were gone in a few hours.Fortunately,I have saved some money already so don't have to worry too much about that side of things and even if I don't get a Canadian visa I will be heading off somewhere else(New Zealand probably).However, if I knew I could be certain of not missing out on the visas I would stick with the job until I was going away.Also,if I were to quit I would have to put on my application that I'm unemployed.Would this hurt my chances of getting a visa?Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭NewsMeQuick

Hi John, about visas running out this year...last year's thread for 2013 has about 5000 comments saying "sure lads, they're not going to run out in a few days hahahaha", well, they did. 48 hours to be exact. They have doubled the visas for 2014 to somewhere between 10,000 - 10,700. You can Google that figure and find it's what they're telling us.

Even with a surge in visas, I'd still be quick about the application. 2013 should be a lesson. Plus, I notice the Australian unemployment rate is rising, Canada's is falling and there is a rise in the number of Irish in Australia suddenly applying for Canada. Those details tell the story.

Word here is that "early December" is the unofficial open date this year for 2014.

Why not keep the job until you're ready to go? The application is online, it's relatively straight-forward. Plus, one thing the Irish in Canada keep saying is 'save as much as you can'. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

I have my 2013 iec visa but cannot go this year, can i apply for the 2014 one?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 jj1987

Hi John, about visas running out this year...last year's thread for 2013 has about 5000 comments saying "sure lads, they're not going to run out in a few days hahahaha", well, they did. 48 hours to be exact. They have doubled the visas for 2014 to somewhere between 10,000 - 10,700. You can Google that figure and find it's what they're telling us.

Even with a surge in visas, I'd still be quick about the application. 2013 should be a lesson. Plus, I notice the Australian unemployment rate is rising, Canada's is falling and there is a rise in the number of Irish in Australia suddenly applying for Canada. Those details tell the story.

Word here is that "early December" is the unofficial open date this year for 2014.

Why not keep the job until you're ready to go? The application is online, it's relatively straight-forward. Plus, one thing the Irish in Canada keep saying is 'save as much as you can'. :)

Thanks for the quick reply NewsMeQuick. Very grateful for that link. Kept reading that it wouldn't be open until January.But if it's early December I need to start to getting things prepared for my application :).Yeah,I should probably stick with the job until I'm ready to go.I'm just worried that I could go to work,and visas be released and gone by the time I get home.There seems to be huge demand.I know quite a few people in Oz who are hoping to apply

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭bopper

I'm currently on a 12 month permit, only my first participation so can apply for a 24 month one this year.

Anyone who was in the same boat last year - Is there a question asking have you participated in IEC before? If so what do you give as an answer? If you say yes will the system not automatically recognise you as ineligible?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Is the purpose of the resume to weed out the long term unemployed or people who may not be in careers that are in demand?

From the Irish Canadian Immigration Centre facebook page -

Opening IEC 2014: we've been told December for sure if not November. Be sure to check the IEC main page daily.

bopper wrote: »
    From the Irish Canadian Immigration Centre facebook page -

Opening IEC 2014: we've been told December for sure if not November. Be sure to check the IEC main page daily.

Read December from the same guys here:
    http://www.moving2canada.com/planning/iec-canada-visa/

All I have on it is "early December". If that's the case, that's 2 months earlier than 2013, no?

Got my post all ready for stage 2 checks.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 elnino08

Does anyone know what web browser is best to use when applying/uploading docs?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭madma

Going to be applying for the first time and hearing all this early release news should I be panicking a bit? I haven't anything done yet

I've read through the stage process, so I should get that account open firstly but should I be looking to get to the local Garda station ASAP for the Certs, like tomorrow?

I lived in oz for 1 year back in 04/05 and have a different passport now, my old one went missing, nothing to do with me as the motor tax office lost it when getting my licence. Just wondering would this effect me getting the cert from oz?

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks

• Advertisement

madma wrote: »
    Going to be applying for the first time and hearing all this early release news should I be panicking a bit? I haven't anything done yet

I've read through the stage process, so I should get that account open firstly but should I be looking to get to the local Garda station ASAP for the Certs, like tomorrow?

I lived in oz for 1 year back in 04/05 and have a different passport now, my old one went missing, nothing to do with me as the motor tax office lost it when getting my licence. Just wondering would this effect me getting the cert from oz?

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks

Start applying for your certs now but don't stress yourself out too much you should still have plenty of time before you have to submit them.

I don't think a different passport should matter when applying for your Australian cert. You don't even need to submit a copy of your passport. You more than likely will as it's the easiest form of ID, but you can still apply for a police check without it providing you have other sufficient forms of ID. It's a fairly easy process. I applied online only yesterday and got an e-mail today saying it was completed and my certificate is in the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭kitchenchair

I know someone who created a Kompass Account for the 2013 visa's (which are all gone as of March or whenever) just for the sake of it a few weeks ago, and he got an email recently saying he was accepted and to make the payment asap. I am assuming he got accepted because someone else was rejected. So if you want to move to Canada sooner rather than later then it'd be worth setting up a Kompass Account and see what happens.

I know someone who created a Kompass Account for the 2013 visa's (which are all gone as of March or whenever) just for the sake of it a few weeks ago, and he got an email recently saying he was accepted and to make the payment asap. I am assuming he got accepted because someone else was rejected. So if you want to move to Canada sooner rather than later then it'd be worth setting up a Kompass Account and see what happens.

Are you sure it wasn't more than a few weeks ago, when they were still accepting applications? Because you can't actually set up a Kompass Account at the moment.

Madma - I agree with bopper, good to apply for that now, but don't worry, you're in good time atm.

Getting a visa this late is a stroke of luck, but it does happen. Those people were part of the appx 1000 waiting list - beyond the 6,350 places. I thought you couldn't apply now, they're filling out the last few places with that 1000 on the list.

Not long now, friends! :D

Start applying for your certs now but don't stress yourself out too much you should still have plenty of time before you have to submit them.

I don't think a different passport should matter when applying for your Australian cert. You don't even need to submit a copy of your passport. You more than likely will as it's the easiest form of ID, but you can still apply for a police check without it providing you have other sufficient forms of ID. It's a fairly easy process. I applied online only yesterday and got an e-mail today saying it was completed and my certificate is in the post.
    Madma - I agree with bopper, good to apply for that now, but don't worry, you're in good time atm.

Getting a visa this late is a stroke of luck, but it does happen. Those people were part of the appx 1000 waiting list - beyond the 6,350 places. I thought you couldn't apply now, they're filling out the last few places with that 1000 on the list.

Not long now, friends! :D

Cheers for the info! Ill get right on it. Ill request those Certs tomorrow and open that Kompass account but I just noticed your comment about it not being available yet so ill keep eyes glued to the site until its available again to open an account to apply

Hi bopper,

I'm just wondering can you apply for both Certs online? I need one from oz I'm been looking around online and I'm not sure of where to apply. Would it be the AFP (Australian federal police)? It says they do police checks not sure if it's just for Australian people. And also the irish one would it be best to just call into them? Just looking and getting both requested by tomorrow. Cheers!

madma wrote: »
    Hi bopper,

I'm just wondering can you apply for both Certs online? I need one from oz I'm been looking around online and I'm not sure of where to apply. Would it be the AFP (Australian federal police)? It says they do police checks not sure if it's just for Australian people. And also the irish one would it be best to just call into them? Just looking and getting both requested by tomorrow. Cheers!

Yes just the regular AFP website anyone can apply. Re the Irish one, I'd be the wrong person to ask as I'm lucky enough to have a family member who can just get mine for me. I think regularly you'd have to just apply through your local station. You can't do it online and ironically it'll take a good bit longer than the Aussie one to process.

Yes just the regular AFP website anyone can apply. Re the Irish one, I'd be the wrong person to ask as I'm lucky enough to have a family member who can just get mine for me. I think regularly you'd have to just apply through your local station. You can't do it online and ironically it'll take a good bit longer than the Aussie one to process.

Cheers, ill drop into them so. Haha that doesn't surprise me at all, you would think the irish one would be sent out in no time

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭ck24

Hi guys, a lot of you seem very prepared which is worrying me! I didn't expect the application process to open in December, I assumed it would be early next year.

I've some questions I hope one of you wise people can answer;

What can I have prepared at this stage? Just a photocopy of my passport and a resume?

Resume: does anyone have any examples of good Canadian resumes that I can use as a base for this resume (I’ll follow the format they lay out on the website but it would be useful to see a completed one)? Does anyone know what the purpose of the resume is? When submitting the resume should it be a scanned copy/photocopy or should it be a word document?

Passport: does this just need to be a scanned copy of the main page of the passport?

Paying: How do you pay for the application? I read that you can't pay by credit card. Is it possible to online using laser, or do I need a bank draft? Or can I transfer the money via online banking? I'm with Bank of Ireland if anyone has any experience doing this can you let me know how it worked out.

Application process: I'm trying to get the application process worked out in my head, can someone correct me if I have this wrong;
    1) once the process opens you set up a Kompass account.
    2) you complete an IEC application form and submit it through the Kompass account along with your required documents and proof of payment.
    3) once you submit the application you've been allocated a spot (confirmation sent to Kompass account within 48 hrs).
    4) then worry about stage 2….

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Is it just passport and resume you need for the first stage then along with their application forms? At what point does the police certs come into it?

• Advertisement

ck24 wrote: »
    Hi guys, a lot of you seem very prepared which is worrying me! I didn't expect the application process to open in December, I assumed it would be early next year.

I've some questions I hope one of you wise people can answer;

What can I have prepared at this stage? Just a photocopy of my passport and a resume?

Resume: does anyone have any examples of good Canadian resumes that I can use as a base for this resume (I’ll follow the format they lay out on the website but it would be useful to see a completed one)? Does anyone know what the purpose of the resume is? When submitting the resume should it be a scanned copy/photocopy or should it be a word document?

Passport: does this just need to be a scanned copy of the main page of the passport?

Paying: How do you pay for the application? I read that you can't pay by credit card. Is it possible to online using laser, or do I need a bank draft? Or can I transfer the money via online banking? I'm with Bank of Ireland if anyone has any experience doing this can you let me know how it worked out.

Application process: I'm trying to get the application process worked out in my head, can someone correct me if I have this wrong;
    1) once the process opens you set up a Kompass account.
    2) you complete an IEC application form and submit it through the Kompass account along with your required documents and proof of payment.
    3) once you submit the application you've been allocated a spot (confirmation sent to Kompass account within 48 hrs).
    4) then worry about stage 2….

There's really not a lot to prepare at this stage so don't worry too much. Just follow the resume format on the website, I'd submit it as a word document. I've never heard of anyone getting rejected because of their resume so I'm not really sure what the purpose is.

Paying with online banking is probably the easiest thing to do.

Follow the guidelines here and you'll be fine.

http://www.moving2canada.com/planning/iec-canada-visa/

• Registered Users Posts: 46 fredchest

Delira wrote: »
    You only need to have two things ready for stage one (IEC Kompass Account). From this info they'll verify that you're eligible to apply for the visa. If you are eligible, you'll be issued a Conditional Acceptance letter and will be directed to set up your CIC account where you've to upload your police certificates, ID photo and fill out a couple of forms etc.

The below is from the IEC website: http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/ireland-irlande/experience_canada_experience/required-requis.aspx

So if you pass this stage they issue with an acceptance letter? then you have to submit the police cert, photos etc...?

fredchest wrote: »
    So if you pass this stage they issue with an acceptance letter? then you have to submit the police cert, photos etc...?

Yes. Well a "conditional acceptance". Then you submit whatever documents they ask for.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Fluxfan

I am just wondering if anyone knows if you get advance notice when the IEC 2014 is opening? Or is it a case of it being announced "open" and a scramble ensues?

Would like to think there is advance warning, in order to book the day off work to ensure I can be at my computer!

ppcperson wrote: »
    I am just wondering if anyone knows if you get advance notice when the IEC 2014 is opening? Or is it a case of it being announced "open" and a scramble ensues?

Would like to think there is advance warning, in order to book the day off work to ensure I can be at my computer!

To the best of my knowledge, it is a scramble, yes.

ICAN on Facebook says that they expect it to open in early December, or even November (now!) so really just check the Embassy site daily and wait for the scramble. I don't think you can RSS the page unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Fluxfan

To the best of my knowledge, it is a scramble, yes.

ICAN on Facebook says that they expect it to open in early December, or even November (now!) so really just check the Embassy site daily and wait for the scramble. I don't think you can RSS the page unfortunately.

Dam :rolleyes:

I feel the panic a mile off :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭danotroy

Okay can we get a definative answer to the following question.

If the process opens tomorrow morning at 9am what is the process?

It opens then you set up a Kompass account, you then transfer money via online banking.

Is that all stage one is?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

I have my 2013 iec visa but cannot go this year, can i apply for the 2014 one?

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭alexsmith

danotroy wrote: »
    Okay can we get a definative answer to the following question.

If the process opens tomorrow morning at 9am what is the process?

It opens then you set up a Kompass account, you then transfer money via online banking.

Is that all stage one is?

im in the same boat as yourself. I want to have my police cert ready before it opens so im not waiting.

are you guys sure thats all ill need for stage 1?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Would you still need a RCMP police cert if you spent 6/7 months only in Canada? Friend of mine is thinking of applying but got injured in an accident while working there before.

Advertisement