Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread II

• 30-06-2012 6:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭

..continues from here

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

I'd also like to take credit for this thread as well.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

As it's a new thread might get a good idea to have the squad near the top

Munster 2012/2013 Squad. (47)

Props: BJ Botha, D Kilcoyne, J Ryan, S Archer, M Horan, W du Preez, C Condon, A Cotter.

Hookers: D Varley, M Sherry, S Henry,

Locks: D Ryan, P O'Connell, D O'Callaghan, I Nagle, D Foley,

Back row: P Butler, S Dougall, B Holland, P O'Mahony, N Ronan, J Coughlan, T O'Donnell, Dave O'Callaghan, B O'Mahony.

Half backs: P Stringer, C Murray, D Williams, C Sheridan, R O'Gara, I Keatley,

Centre/Wing: C Laulala, J Downey, D Barnes, JJ Hanrahan, T Smith, I Dineen, K Earls, S Deasy, D Howlett, S Zebo, J Murphy.

Full-backs: F Jones, D Hurley, S Scanlon, L O'Dea.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Blackheath

I see CJ Stander came off the bench for the Bulls today and filled in at no. 8

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Dougie back next season is massive, he was hugely missed last season. Yes, Zebo did score a lot of tries but Howlett is the most intelligent back we have by a distance. Rarely makes an error and is very much a leader in the backline despite being a winger. He also scored probably the most important try of the season, his try on halftime against Northampton at Thomond Park was massive and IMO much more important than the heroic 40 phase from ROG and co.

However, this could be Dougie's last season and we need someone to step up to fill his boots. I don't think Johne Murphy is good enough, he's an honest player but hasn't really combusted yet for Munster, in his Leicester days he was scoring a lot of tries. Last season we saw why Denis Hurley shouldn't be considered a winger, he doesn't have the pace. Our hopes to replace Dougie rest on Zebo and O'Dea. O'Dea's performances last season were very encouraging but he (like Nagle) seemed to pick up a few knocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

Who is responsible for the thread's tag? :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭liammur

We have an easy enough group in the H Cup, new management, I predict a better season than last, even though results may not be as good. Irony.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

First season without John Hayes, will never be the same!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

liammur wrote: »
    We have an easy enough group in the H Cup, new management, I predict a better season than last, even though results may not be as good. Irony.
    HC is a tricky group. Could have done with someone like Zebré instead of Racing. But I do expect us to squeak thru

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

I wouldn''t consider the group easy, as we're not the team we once were. That said, we have a squad easily good enough for the latter stages of the HC. Its up to the players and management to ensure we get there. I won't be counting my chickens though..

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Lelantos wrote: »
    HC is a tricky group. Could have done with someone like Zebré instead of Racing. But I do expect us to squeak thru

I think Zabre would pose more of a possible banana skin than Racing. They've shown little interest in the Hcup.

• Advertisement

It's performances I'll be watching for. Under McGahan we seemed to be fluking a few wins, only flattering to deceive.

I wouldn''t consider the group easy, as we're not the team we once were. That said, we have a squad easily good enough for the latter stages of the HC. Its up to the players and management to ensure we get there. I won't be counting my chickens though..

I agree it's not very easy, but if we can't get out of it, we are well off the pace.

.ak wrote: »

I think Zabre would pose more of a possible banana skin than Racing. They've shown little interest in the Hcup.
    Zebré are a bit of a mish mash & will be the Rabo whipping boys I would think. The Racing games will have a little edge to them from their managements side at least

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

May as well throw up the list of players who will be in the academy next season into this new thread.
    http://www.munsterrugby.ie/news/10580.php

Year Three
    Brian Hayes (Lock)
    Corey Hircock (Centre)
    Ronan O’Mahony (Wing)

Year Two
    Shane Buckley (Wing forward)
    Duncan Casey (Hooker)
    James Cronin (Prop)
    Cian Bohane (Centre)
    Philip Donnellan(Lock)
    Niall Scannell (Hooker)
    Cathal O’Flaherty (Back row)

Year One
    Ryan Murphy (Back row)
    Jack O’Donoghue (Back row)
    Jonathan Holland (Out-half)
    Darren Moroney (Full back/wing)
    James Rael (Hooker)
    Brian Haugh (scrumhalf)

Who'll be the first international cap out of this group??
    Great to see another nenagh native in Philly Donnellan making the acad as well as the first waterford player, Jack O Donoghue, in years

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

If Munster lost to Zebre in a hypothetical pool, it wouldn't matter because the season would be a disaster anyway. Metro, on the other hand, seem to pose little threat at home, but beware them in Thomond. Very good away in the comp. They don't seem to try as much at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,532 ✭✭✭✭phog

That couldn't happen, we have to have a French team in our pool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

ormond lad wrote: »
    Year Three
    Brian Hayes (Lock)
    Corey Hircock (Centre)
    Ronan O’Mahony (Wing)

Hayes will get games this season I think but it's really make or break for O'Mahony and Hircock. Both have looked decent for the A team when they've had chances but not sure either have had a look-in at senior level yet.

Was disappointed to see Johne Murphy ahead of Hircock as a centre at the end of last season, felt Hircock was ready to step in.

phog wrote: »

That couldn't happen, we have to have a French team in our pool.
    Yes, granted, but would have preferred someone else personally, perhaps Montpelier, but point taken

matthew8 wrote: »
    If Munster lost to Zebre in a hypothetical pool, it wouldn't matter because the season would be a disaster anyway. Metro, on the other hand, seem to pose little threat at home, but beware them in Thomond. Very good away in the comp. They don't seem to try as much at home.
    Wouldnt say they pose little threat at home. they only lost 1 or 2 home games to kicks in the last minute.
    Depends on when the game in Thomond is on. If its round 1/2 it could be tricky but if its round 5/6 it shouldnt be any trouble at all(i think we wont have much trouble against them in either game tbh)
    Hayes will get games this season I think but it's really make or break for O'Mahony and Hircock. Both have looked decent for the A team when they've had chances but not sure either have had a look-in at senior level yet.

Was disappointed to see Johne Murphy ahead of Hircock as a centre at the end of last season, felt Hircock was ready to step in.
    Hayes will get games but IMO Philly Donnellan will push for a lot of pro12 gametime now that he's been added straight into year 2 of the academy.
    Hircock and OMahony havent had much pro12 gametime but could very easily get plenty this season considering theres totally new coaching set up. Not sure if Hircock will ever make H cup standard but he hasnt had any real gametime in the pro12 so id wait to see how he does in a few games before making up my mind on him

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Wouldnt say they pose little threat at home. they only lost 1 or 2 home games to kicks in the last minute.
    Depends on when the game in Thomond is on. If its round 1/2 it could be tricky but if its round 5/6 it shouldnt be any trouble at all(i think we wont have much trouble against them in either game tbh)

They were the better side in Cardiff in round 6. They make more of an effort than some other french sides I feel. This could be the year it comes off for them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭jimbomalley

Who's your new backs coach again?? Where did penny poach him from and what sort of credentials has he? Fingers crossed he gets your attack play moving fluidly

Who's your new backs coach again?? Where did penny poach him from and what sort of credentials has he? Fingers crossed he gets your attack play moving fluidly
    He wasnt poached, he had artistic differences with Serge, his last employer :)

He wasnt poached, he had artistic differences with Serge, his last employer :)

You've lost me :)
    Serge..??? Did he come from the top 14?? Can understand difference of opinion then if that's the case, not much back play happening in France

Simon Mannix. He had been backs coach in racing metro but the owner got rid of him after some kind of dispute. was very popular with the players over there though
    He's a former all black and played with sale, gloucester, racing metro and wellington during his career

Simon Mannix. He had been backs coach in racing metro but the owner got rid of him after some kind of dispute. was very popular with the players over there though
    He's a former all black and played with sale, gloucester, racing metro and wellington during his career

Tnx. Don't know of him but hopefully he produces the goods

matthew8 wrote: »

We need to get a little real here. Did anyone even ever hear of Zebre before?

To suggest that they are tougher than Racing is as ridiculous as I've heard. Now, I know you didn't say that, but another poster did. I truly despair :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

We need to get a little real here. Did anyone even ever hear of Zebre before?

To suggest that they are tougher than Racing is as ridiculous as I've heard. Now, I know you didn't say that, but another poster did. I truly despair :mad:

The point was that Zebre are more of a potential banana skin than Racing, not that they will be a better team, in that you know what Racing are about but also that they don't really care about the HC, whereas we don't know what Zebre will be like (crap, I'd imagine, but still...)

I presume you were being ironic about the "did anyone even hear of Zebre before", I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,175 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Racing have a new head coach - Gonzalo Quesada who was the backs coach that replaced Mannix - before that he was the French nat. team kicking coach. Berbizier, who fired Mannix, was moved on to become Racing's General Manager. They are looking to recruit a forwards coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Again Zebre have the advantage of playing in an easier league. I wouldn't be hugely surprised to see Zebre beat Racing. Especially if Racing have a tough fixture before the game.

That would probably ensure qualification.for Munster as well.

• Advertisement

Again Zebre have the advantage of playing in an easier league. I wouldn't be hugely surprised to see Zebre beat Racing. Especially if Racing have a tough fixture before the game.

That would probably ensure qualification.for Munster as well.
    I would be hugely surprised if Zebré beat Racing, esp since they're not in the same group :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement