Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Intelligent Split Charge Relays Advice

• 16-01-2012 10:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

Hi,

Does anyone have any experience or advice on using an Intelligent Split Charge Relay to charge an Auxiliary battery,

There is absolutely loads of them out there at very different prices and I am wondering has anyone any experience using them or could they recommend a good one to me,

My Aux battery is a 110Ah but I would like the option to upgrade this in time or even add a second battery,

I am using the battery to power lights, fridge etc etc,

Thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭defike

I bought a Brocott as an intelligent split charge relay.
    Saying it will do loads but it doesn't. The word Intelligent in my opinion should not have been used.It charges the leisure battery off the alternater and prevents the van battery being run down thats all.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭ste2006

Ye i was looking at them, Fairly Cheap,

Thats what i was afraid of, Intelligent could mean anythign depending on the standard peple have

• Registered Users Posts: 48 merc camper

I have a sterling battery to battery charger. It has worked very well for me with 2 75ah AGM batteries.
    This is an inteligent charger as it is a 4 step charger.
    It is an expensive option but for me it was important as I had free AGM batteries which dont like to be charged over 14.4V.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

Any of the factory builds just use a normal heavy duty (about 50-70A) 4 pin relay , the only difference is that it's "hard wired" into the charging/fuse box onto the PCB . I've often and often retro-fitted externally mounted relays when the boxes were too old to get replacements. End of the day , all it is , is a link from the engine battery to the leisure battery , switched on by the alternator light . Simple .

Thanks for the advice guys, Is it worth getting an Intelligent Relay or is should i just stick with a standard Relay??

Thanks,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭niloc1951

A split change relay only provides a charge to the leisure batteries which is usually limited to the values appropriate to the starter battery.

A B2B unit is in effect the same as a bench charger and is designed to provide a sophisticated IUoUo (4-step) process at up to 14.8 volts which can 'push' up to 50% more charge into ordinary wet lead/acid batteries compared to a simple split charge set up.

A B2B also has a charge rate of up to 50 amps which reduces the time taken to recharge a battery significantly.

Stirling B2B Charger

the lower the rate of input , the better the charge into the battery I have found . You can show me all the data under the sun , I haven't found any of the likes of the fancier systems to work any better on the 12v side , only better when charging from mains . I'm not saying you are wrong , I'm just giving my opinion based on my experience working on them the last 10 years or so.

Any ideas of price on the B2B Charger or where to get one??

I am thinking of this one now,

Anyone any thoughts??

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/0-727-33-DURITE-12V-140A-SPLIT-CHARGE-INTELLIGENT-RELAY-/110747372068?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item19c90eca24

Thanks,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭niloc1951

ste2006 wrote: »
    Any ideas of price on the B2B Charger or where to get one??

I am thinking of this one now,

Anyone any thoughts??

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/0-727-33-DURITE-12V-140A-SPLIT-CHARGE-INTELLIGENT-RELAY-/110747372068?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item19c90eca24

Thanks,

Look HERE

Ref. Aidan_M_M comment about fast charging.
    The B2B is not a simple fast charger, it is a complex four stage charging system with the capability to deliver up to 50 amp/hours of current IF the battery(s) need it. The unit also monitors the alternator and battery temperatures and it will drop out if either go over their correct level, it also monitors the voltage of the vehicle system and it will also drop out if that falls below 13 volts.

I have one fitted, it is excellent for touring without EHU's as a short drive will bring the charge right up to full. My batteries are now seven years old and are still performing very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 merc camper

The sterling battery to battery charger works very well I have used one for 4 years and only once charged the batteries from the mains the rest of the time the charge has came from driving (max i have parked up for is 4 days)
    I run a compressor fridge, lights, stereo and eberspacher heater from 2x75 ah AGM batteries which have never dropped below 12V as a short drive will put alot of charge back into the the batteries.
    Down side is cost.
    The split charger relay on ebay will do the job without any of the fancy charging.

• Advertisement

I use a switch and a voltmeter between the engine battery and the leisure batteries. Same as a relay without the logic.

I never mentioned anything about a fast charge? If anything I prefer a slow charge , I find it's better for the batteries . Re the Stirling unit , the main thing I like about them is the way they switch off as such at high voltages , to help pfotect the system from overcharging . For the price I'd personally prefer to add a wee bit to it and fit a solar panel , but thats just me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Cristall Winn

I have a clicking noise coming from my split charger,I thought my problem was my 12v fridge so I disconnected it ,the split charger stil clicking, does anybody know what's up with it

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭defike

My split charger has a tiny plastic voltage adjustment screw on it.It allows you to set when it switches on.Vibration whilst driving causes it to go out of adjustment so it switches on and off constantly.Maybe this is the clicking you are hearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Cristall Winn

Thank's, I'll check it out

Welcome to the forum Cristall.

Relays click under normal operation. It's an electromechanical switch.

If it just clicks once when it's engaging or disengaging I wouldn't worry about it.
    If it's chattering there's a lose connection or bad ground on the coil terminals. If it's intermittent it could also be a lose connection bad ground.

If it's wired off the D+ (battery light in dash) and the battery light is coming on when it clicks you have an alternator problem.

If it's an automatic voltage sensing relay then it may be reacting to the preset voltage setpoints.
    If the setpoints are too close together or too low with no timer then it can be self-defeating,
    Eg. Setpoints; connect @ 13.2v, disconnect @ 13.0v.
    Battery #1: 13.5v Charging
    Battery #2: 12.2v
    Relay engages battery #1 @ > 13.2v. (#1 + #2)/2 = 12.85v relay disengages etc.

The alternator in an ideal world would compensate for the drop but that depends on how well it's wired. I've never seen that circuit wired correctly...mine included.

I've been thinking. The best split charge system imho isn't intelligent.

Two alternators.

Advertisement