Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Orbital are Back - and are Brilliant

Options
  • 26-10-2011 10:57pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,571 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Orbital - the techno group who helped to define the sound of the 1990s, are back for the 2010s and are superb. :cool::) Take a look at this brill video.

Orbital - Never (2011)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

well that's fairly shite! I'll be honest, i'm not into the genre but i dont mind a decent ambient tune, but that was boring and the video was the work of someone in week one of an online video editing course. i want my five minutes back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

Yeehaa! Time to break out the speckled mitsubishis

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

Not their most amazing track but i still enjoyed it and will listen to it again. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

dont think so

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

Decent enough but expected more from Orbital tbh. Some of their earlier stuff is amazing. The white album was their last good one imho. Wasn't feeling the blue one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Never what? Practise good lane discipline on a motorway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

I always loved Orbital, but my niece is producing better tunes on her electric keyboard than that tune. Maybe I am getting old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Not a huge fan of Orbital and mostly watched\listened (to) it out of curiosity (I do know the halcyon song from hackers\mortal kombat and love that). But this feels a little..........pop-ey. It's like there should be some crap clean vocals over it and all the lovely harmonies you get with mass produced chart sh*t nowadays.

Of course this is my impression and I don't think anyone strange for liking the track. It's just not to my taste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Older stuff was much better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

love it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

cac

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,767 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Quality tune. I imagine I shall be dancing to it at a festival next summer.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭RichieC

Sh*t arse speakers on this laptop, sure I'll post here so i can find it after i fix my Pc..

Always liked orbital, insides and the brown album mostly and who doesn't get a chill listening to Belfast :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

Meh. The video looks like something from The Chill Out Zone circa 1995 and the song sounds like David Guetta. They probably should have retired after Insides.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭mongoman

Good stuff OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

That video reminded me of many a taxi ride home I had during my years in London. Many great clubs, good times indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭mathproblem

I quite liked both the music and the video, I've no idea how easy or difficult it is to produce (the music), or if i could do it myself on a keyboard, but it sounds good to me anyhow.

The video seems to be a take off/nod to the car scene in Solaris (Tarkovsky 1972).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭4Sheets

Fairly awesome track and video ..the videos reminds me of chemical brothers 'star guitar' shot from a car instead of a train..still I think it will be very difficult for them to eclipse their heyday..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Sounds like a bit like Funny Break at the start... they can do no wrong in my book.

Orbital's trouble is that anyone can do a fair imitation of their stuff now with s/w that's free or cheaply available (and that may well be built on their pioneering work)...however they still manage to sound distinctive and grime-ily orchestral and they always have that latent dark energy.
    Okay so it's not stuff they were doing 15 yrs ago...every band in their heyday tend to sound better... there are very few electronic acts that have still been reasonably prolific 20 yrs after they had their first track (which I have someplace on 7" vinyl).
    Video is great...as someone else said, reminiscent of Star Guitar (but sounding like David Guetta? would you ever feck off).
    Always did like sped up traffic follow type vids and they inevitably suit music of this tempo.
    Anyway good to see that they've avoided retirement (again)...hopefully another album in the works.

Dunno why this is on this form though...electronic & DJing might be better...but thanks for the heads up OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Since this is the cool vids forum it has to be the video to The Box for me... the visuals and the track are borderline scary and sad.
    Like the Never vid, it's london traffic inspired too.

Monsters exist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭4Sheets

Not Orbital but just as good..the opening car sequence reminded me of two videos.
    thing to watch in Star Guitar if you dont know and maybe some don't is how each object i.e lampost..shed,oil tanker .represents a beat in the music ..its a similar thing with the tunnels and road markings in the orbitol vid

and the ORB..cars & road

Advertisement