Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Fás PHP/MySql programming course

• 31-03-2010 6:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Hey all,
    I'm just wondering has anybody done this course already, I have experience with static websites, and this course looks like it's quite full on with teaching new skills, but I'm not sure whether there is much at the end of it?
    What I mean is it it enough to get you a starting job or would more courses be needed, and are there much career development opportunities in this sector?
    Sorry if it's a bit long winded, I just want to be sure it won't be 18 weeks down the drain!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Left

Link isn't working for me.

Is it the one in Cork you're referring to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 krinklez

Sorry for the late reply, yeah, it's the Cork one. Any info?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

The link does not seem to work. I don't know about this course, if ya send the content I might be able to give info on if it's good. The fact that it has php/mySQL is a good sign. This is more than you get on most courses of the like. If you get the hang of php and mySQL, you will be able to construct a wide array of web sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭was.deevey

In General the FAS courses tend to be great, I did a year long e-commerce / webdesign course and learned bundles from it, certainly enough to get a foot in the door of the industry... it'll give you a great grounds to learn even more.

I guess like any course of its kind its what you do AFTER and on your own that will make the difference to your career.

I wish this course existed at the time I did mine, I would have pursued it as we were using ASP / SQL for the backends, which is the "expensive" hosting option and really wanted to learn MySQL/PHP at the time .. ah well.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭wildswan

krinklez wrote: »
    Hey all,
    I'm just wondering has anybody done this course already, I have experience with static websites, and this course looks like it's quite full on with teaching new skills, but I'm not sure whether there is much at the end of it?
    What I mean is it it enough to get you a starting job or would more courses be needed, and are there much career development opportunities in this sector?
    Sorry if it's a bit long winded, I just want to be sure it won't be 18 weeks down the drain!
    Just wondering did you have to do a test in HTML and CSS?

I'm hoping to take this up and am wondering what kind of level of HTML/CSS is needed?

I'll be doing the test in a few days probably, and although I'm good with C/C++ and Java, my html/css skills are fairly basic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭ocallagh

Looks like Fas need to go on that course themselves, can't get into either link.

Do you have syllabus to post here?

ocallagh wrote: »
    Looks like Fas need to go on that course themselves, can't get into either link.

Do you have syllabus to post here?

This one here:
    http://jobseeker.fas.ie/Default.aspx?q=o8XJRk5AsveY5sNQXazWzwFNR0Frbwv7mrP5mNtdHqVKGh4uBtQM+jhJpdOU9R5ZEC/C9uUd2lk4HAqNz78XeFA+0LFaJgekmarUFf+iS/2A5NlI72v3yWQK39BPwaecvA1yqlX6Na2e5Q+xCt8K4BtJNi1qMNDOgI8I0GO1pfoIRpAvmjfVwRMGqNgU/VVu0HHShMGHAf3pdzn0943TFSmX3P6T84zR7BZfuaVX4MbFJU3KQIzlKDXtX3tXaafX++LfJxs48YUtib/DfpLpQfFJW3W1C8SJhB/HOUDmcc6MjVKl9u6X/drE90IOZW3ZCEX2MiEOK/yXR5gUyk3o3mvcN+hstKgaWeTLOmBfGj4VdSNJSu6OSC+TCp3OfjJrMVthAJe/iEGAvB8+izZTer9OOn0bs/wDpZjBO08f2h5gCUVOTjpAuemlQ78VX5+uPxqOme6kGCM=

I'm brushing up on XHTML and CSS, and have no idea what standard of fluency would be expected. IE do you need to every tag/attribute or would it focus on just the most common stuff?

Also I've never really used the older style elements of HTML, so would I need to learn them now that they're pretty much obsolete?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭ocallagh

Not much information about it. I'd go for it though, they are two good skills to have.
    Proficiency in HTML (HyperText Markup Language) and CSS (Cascading Style Sheets), are essential. Aptitude test to demonstrate essential and required proficiency in (X)HTML and CSS 70%

For HTML, I would say if you can create a well formed hand written HTML document conforming to XHTML 1.1 then you should be ok (You might need to demonstrate HTML 4 or something, but I doubt it)

Make sure you include all the main tags. Make sure it's accessible. For CSS just do a tutorial online. The two main sides to CSS are styling (fonts, colors etc) and positioning, the latter of which is more tricky. Also learn about CSS precedence and how selectors override each other etc

Practice by creating a document in notepad with all the above and upload to http://validator.w3.org/ - Repeat until you have a document making use of CSS and all the main tags with no errors

That's great, thanks! Gives me a good idea what I need to learn.

Let the carpal tunnel assault begin :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 erinselbow

Hey All, Just wondering if anyone completed this course? If so was it any good. Also does anyone know if it is just in Cork...FAS links on their own site still not working :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I assume the links don't work because they are dynamic not static. As classes are full they go off the system. At the moment theres only Dublin and Galway courses there, there must be no course places in Cork. Has anyone actually done the course?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Dubliner99

Hi, I am doing the aptitude test for the FAS PHP/MySQL course after 1 week..Can anyone who has done it before give me information on what kind of test it will be ? Is it multiple choice or short questiona and answer or do you need to write code ? Is it just a general aptitude test ( i.e logic, verbal etc ) or specifically on HTML/CSS knowledge ? If on HTML/CSS how advanced was the knowledge required ? Any feedback will be a great help..Thanks..Dubliner99

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

anyone do this course lately, i've applied for one...just wondering is it worth doing, how difficult is it?

did the dreamweaver web design course found it handy enough, pursume the php course would be totally different??

Advertisement