Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Work Experience

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Aw jesus! I have to do this again in January! Remind me to get it organized the DAY I get the dates!

bumpy

Ok can anyone give me a reason for why I want to work in a shop that doesn't include 'Because the damn deadlines soon!'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭straight_As

Help!
    I'm seriously screwed. I want do a week of my work experience in a finacial institution but everywhere I ask is already full.
    I already have a week in the Mater, but I want to check other options to try and decide what career path to follow. At the moment I'm stuck between pursuing a degree in actuarial and financial studies and medicine.
    Please help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭waheyyy

At the moment I'm stuck between pursuing a degree in actuarial and financial studies and medicine.

woot exact same for me!! I got one week experience with an actuarial firm already, just need to get into some medicinial field now... where are you from? if your from cork i might be able to help you out with the actuary thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭straight_As

waheyyy wrote:
    woot exact same for me!! I got one week experience with an actuarial firm already, just need to get into some medicinial field now... where are you from? if your from cork i might be able to help you out with the actuary thing
    Thanks for the offer but unfortunately I'm from Dublin. I didn't know that there were actually specific actuarial firms, I guess I always thought they were subdivisions of insuarace companies.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭jb91

From 12 letters/emails that I sent last week I haven't had a single reply. I'd rather just get a one word email saying "NO!" than absolutely nothing!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭kronnn

Google DEFINITELY dont give work experiance placements. I my cousins friend works there and asked and was told no and my friends aunt who is head of marketing asked the Human Resources department but was told no. So no point in evin trying really. So does anybody know another company that is in the same area as google that might take me on.

Has anyone managed to get work experience through letters & emails? I sent 12 and only got 2 replies, both nos.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,465 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Ebay possibly?

Letters seem a waste of time. For the april placement im either gonna ring places or call into them...

Ebay possibly?

Letters seem a waste of time. For the april placement im either gonna ring places or call into them...

I don't even have the 2 weeks before Christmas yet. Newsrooms are the only places I really want to go but no one's replying! :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭cas91

by newsrooms do u mean newspaper?? or like televisoin/ radio??

cas91 wrote: »
    by newsrooms do u mean newspaper?? or like televisoin/ radio??
    Either really

I tried all the newspapers etc in Limerick. NO replies whatsoever from ANY of them!

I posted the letters last Friday... And I wrote to every good paper in Dublin and Wicklow

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

So where are you doing your work experience?

I'm doing mine in Ardmore.

There are already 2 or 3 threads about more or less the same topic

Suggest merging of all work experience threads....lol

Happened to me too! Ended up calling into a place that I had a small interest in and got it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 villadonn

looking for something in media but not realy sure where to go any reccomendations

villadonn wrote: »
    looking for something in media but not realy sure where to go any reccomendations
    I'm the same. Don't bother with letters and emails because I've had hardly any replies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭vespahead

ye just wondering is how other people are feeling about there work experience

im in virgin in blanch nd i think its dedli a fair bit of work but its well gud ye get ta bang on a few tunes nd get on wit it,geuss it helps dat evry one in theres sound as well

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

vespahead wrote: »
    ye just wondering is how other people are feeling about there work experience

im in virgin in blanch nd i think its dedli a fair bit of work but its well gud ye get ta bang on a few tunes nd get on wit it,geuss it helps dat evry one in theres sound as well

Ah holey moley, that post was harder to decrypt than hieroglyphics!

Yep its good im done tomorrow:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

Have to give details to ty cord-ordinater about what we're doing tomorrow[Our first week is the 19th to the 23th]. Have applied loadsa places,no luck though- Gonna take the day off tomorrow and spent the day sorting it out!

Have to give details to ty cord-ordinater about what we're doing tomorrow[Our first week is the 19th to the 23th]. Have applied loadsa places,no luck though- Gonna take the day off tomorrow and spent the day sorting it out!
    Don't bother with letters and emails. I sent 15 and only got 2 replies, both nos.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

I didn't sent either. I rang up about 10 places, narrowed it down to iQon, The Library, Dundalk Shipyard[office],My dads Solicitor's office and Xerox.

Best to ring places......forget emailing and letters in my opinion

Going to a newspaper office for 2 weeks straight after mid term. Hours are good (Wont post here just in case they get into the wrong hands lol)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭FranchisePlayer

Already did mine this week in a I.T place down in wexford fair bit of a journey as I live in CO.Carlow(More closer to Kilkenny really:p) but defo worth it. leartnt loads of **** lucky to get in there our server in school by this company and hence it was easy to get the job:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭blubloblu

google definitely don't give work experience, it's because of security apparently, you need a swipe card and clearance to go anywhere, sign affidavits if you're visiting, they really don't want any secrets being leaked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭blubloblu

Well, that's what they told me... :(

Advertisement