Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Replacing Patio With Concrete

• 06-06-2014 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭

Hi all,

I am replacing my patio with concrete so I have to take up paving stones dig down maybe 8 inches below 10 inches below garden level then set foundation and pour concrete to bring back up to level of the garden. I understand when ordering concrete you order it in cublic metres. With this in mind I have measured the area I want to cover with concrete. The length of the area is 27 feet long X 8 metres wide with a depth of 5 inches. How do I convert this to cublic metres ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Dad11 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I am replacing my patio with concrete so I have to take up paving stones dig down maybe 8 inches below 10 inches below garden level then set foundation and pour concrete to bring back up to level of the garden. I understand when ordering concrete you order it in cublic metres. With this in mind I have measured the area I want to cover with concrete. The length of the area is 27 feet long X 8 metres wide with a depth of 5 inches. How do I convert this to cublic metres ?

Put it all to Metres -

1. 27' = 8.23 M (823 CM)
    2. 8m = 8 M (800 CM)
    3. 5" = 0.13 M (factually 12.7 CM or to round up = 13 CM)

So 1 x 2 x 3 = 8.23 x 8 x 0.13 = 8.5592 Cubic Metres (or 9 Cubic Metres)

Think that's right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

That's a big depth of concrete!
    Do you really need it 5" deep? If it's replacing a patio I assume there will only be pedestrian traffic on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Dad11

yeah pedestrian traffic only. However I have measured the depth of the pathway the joins up the patio which is at the garden level and the depth of this is 5 inches.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

Make sure you leave for expansion.....

I got that 'stamped-effect' concrete laid a few years ago (where they pour the concrete down and then give me a slab-effect on the surfaces using rubber-templates)

Now see a few cracks running from one side. Have to live with it... not end of the world!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Tefral

yeah pedestrian traffic only. However I have measured the depth of the pathway the joins up the patio which is at the garden level and the depth of this is 5 inches.

Use 5-10mm chip to bring up the levels. 125mm thick concrete is overkill for a patio and an unnecessary expense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

It might be 5" at the edge but it's unlikely it's that depth further in.
    The ground was probably sloped back from the edge board when the concrete was poured to allow an even finish on the edge.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,007 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

As above leave expansion gaps and also pour in multiple slabs, to avoid cracking.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Dad11

This is the area I want to rip up and replace with just concrete!
    GreeBo wrote: »
    As above leave expansion gaps and also pour in multiple slabs, to avoid cracking.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Would it be easier ,cheaper and nicer to just replace the slabs with a nicer slab /paving brick ?
    Or is it part of the master plan ...? (can't do a decent maniacal laugh)

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Markcheese wrote: »
    Would it be easier ,cheaper and nicer to just replace the slabs with a nicer slab /paving brick ?
    Or is it part of the master plan ...? (can't do a decent maniacal laugh)

or a nice small wooden deck maybe?

• Advertisement

I'd be doing that in at least 2 sections, each 6x6 (6 of your current slabs)

If you went 12x3 I think you'd get cracks...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

2 sections is the way to go, i did something similar recently, easier for screeding the conc and no cracks i put steel mesh in mine but the area was much bigger

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

shop around for the concrete, i saved 25 a metre when i looked last summer by making a few calls, i did a bit of haggling too

f
    shop around for the concrete, i saved 25 a metre when i looked last summer by making a few calls, i did a bit of haggling too

For that volume you might even get some overage off someone (since you can do two pours)

Advertisement