Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Work - Life balance

• 21-01-2015 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

A question for serving ES workers:

The main question I have is, does working odd shifts and the stress of the job impact your family life, and how to you overcome this?

Does missing birthdays, Christmas and any other important events have a negative impact on family life? Do you have the most understanding family in the world or is it a non-issue?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭nd001

It can be very difficult you do try to plan ahead as much as possible to get leave but it might not always be possible or you might be coming off night shifts and having to drag yourself out of bed for a family commitment. Yes you do need someone who is understanding it makes a huge difference especially if you are stressed out coming home from work

• Registered Users Posts: 13,802 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I've worked shift in other jobs before, and it was always easy to plan things. Within AGS, there really is no such thing as a work/life balance, in my opinion. I don't have a partner or kids, but i'm 2 hours away from family. Not a huge distance, but it does make it harder. The worst part of the job in relation to work/life is knowing that you're working 7 out of 10 weekends, when most people are off or when most activities are planned. Yes, you may be able to get leave, but taking a Sunday off seriously impacts the "big" cheque, so very few if any will take them off.

Just before Xmas, my family had a get together, and i wasn't able to attend. All my immediate family were there, and it really sucked balls not being there. They even rang me while i was working, and it made the rest of the shift that much harder. Another example is anytime i try and organise a night/weekend for the mates to come down. It needs serious planning, because i only have 3 weekends off in 10, so it could be months before it suits everyone. And it's usually my job which prevents more frequent meet ups.

I can basically forget about attending all family birthdays, and need to know well in advance of any big celebrations, because leave is not easy to get, especially from April to December inclusive. And i know it annoys my mother at least, because i don't get to go home as often. Even your rest days are not safe, as you could be called to court or directed to do overtime/Haddington.

Then again, i don't have anything really positive to say about the job at the moment. There's been too much give, too many sacrifices, complete ignorance at the lack of resources/members, carefree attitude towards safety, a judicial system that is (basically) against us, a public who cry for members jobs, terrible and incorrect media portrayal or coverage, management who only care about money/figures, severe cuts to income, and a roster which is terrible. And before anyone asks, it wasn't always like this. The job was much better when i joined (2008). I enjoyed it then.

The worst part is getting caught with something meaning you don't go home on time. It's a pain in the arse especially if you have a child minder in. Or it can impact on your partners plans. A few times I've needed to organise last minute child care from work due to something coming up.

Then there is court ruining rest days, nights wiping out your first day off.

Advertisement