Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

POU /ERU under fire

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭ Kiera Substantial Keypunch

True, we could go around in circles here.

Thankfully this thread of opinions on heavy versus soft policing focuses on relatively very minor incidents. And we could all easily agree that we want things to stay like that. :-)

Take the extreme of poor Mexico. Go soft, allow the cartels to operate freely but avoid casualties, or go hard like the last 2 presidents, crack down on the cartels but have a state of almost civil war in some areas with heavy loss of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

bravestar wrote: »
    Mission statement: Working with communities to protect and serve.

There is a time to be heavy handed and a time for a softer approach. Finding the balance to that is key and to be honest I'm getting tired of all the armchair generals thinking they know best.

Would you try and tell a doctor how to perform surgery?

Ps super sonic, those last two bits are not aimed at you.

I'm assuming they were "aimed at" me ;) ?

Whether I can be regarded as an "Armchair General" is moot (I certainly don't post with that intention).

I continue to suggest (as is my right,apparently) that the Senior Garda Management explanation for their decision not to intervene in the specific disruptive protests in the City Centre fails to measure up to their own Mission Statement (Or my interpretation of it).

It's a far cry from "telling a doctor how to perform surgery",as I am in no way suggesting that I have expertise in Public Order Maintenance,except for much first-hand experience of exactly how quick,and how seriously,things can go wrong in that area.

Given that the Senior Garda Management's,non-confrontational approach,worked so well to serve & protect the activist community,surely some apology,mea-cupla,or reassurance could have been offered to those Non-Activist,Non-Protesting members of the Public who's constitutional rights were well n truly trampled over on the 10th December.

Perhaps,if even ONE of those Senior Garda Managers,were to step up and explain their decision to those Other members of the community they were "working with" to protect and serve,it might help to reassure some of the "Ordinaries" that their rights also matter ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

True, we could go around in circles here.

Thankfully this thread of opinions on heavy versus soft policing focuses on relatively very minor incidents. And we could all easily agree that we want things to stay like that. :-)

Take the extreme of poor Mexico. Go soft, allow the cartels to operate freely but avoid casualties, or go hard like the last 2 presidents, crack down on the cartels but have a state of almost civil war in some areas with heavy loss of life.

Interesting to read this account of what transpired after some limited and belated Garda action in the City Centre on the 10Th December..

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/district-court/woman-charged-with-assaulting-garda-during-water-protest-1.2034515
    Gardaí objected to bail. However, the judge refused to remand the young woman in custody. Following arguments from defence solicitor Stephen O’Mahony, he also refused to impose conditions of bail sought by gardaí which were a ban from the Dublin 2 area and a curfew.

Gardaí objected to bail being granted to her father, Stephen Bennett (43), also of Pearse Green, Sallynoggin, who was charged with failing to leave the vicinity of Burgh Quay, Dublin 2, and preventing the passage of a garda van.

Gda Anthony Brazil said Mr Bennett was in a “break-away” group and was, “arrested, protesting on the street, having been asked to desist in his behaviour”.

He said Mr Bennett was cautioned twice and continued sitting on the street blocking traffic.

Additional traffic diversions had to be set up as a result, Gda Brazil said.

Just in case some posters feel that I'm being unfair to Gardai,I fully accept that rank & flile members followed their orders to the letter.

I would also take issue with Judge Micheal Walsh's remarks regarding peaceful protest in this specific incidence.
    Judge Walsh remarked, “peaceful protests have always been part of our history” and granting bail, he said Mr Bennett is not a flight risk. The father and daughter were ordered appear again on January 8th.

The main part of this particular Peaceful Protest had proceeded in just that manner,however the cases before the Court appear to refer to the secondary protests which even the main organizers were keen to distance themselves from.

My belief is that Judge Walsh's reported remarks failed to take due account of the,equally important ,historical rights of a majority of non-protesting ordinary citizens ON THAT DAY.

Following on from this case,It is perhaps now easier to see what informed the Senior Garda Management decision to cede the ground to the activists on the day,and to my mind,it is quite an appaling vista indeed in terms of public expectation of Garda protection.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Locust

Was anyone seriously hurt? it wasn't exactly Love Ulster, i was there and found it overall very peaceful...
    People do have a right to protest don't they? Traffic diversions were in place... the whole country knew this was happening.

There was a 'breakaway' sit down protest later on and they were removed... sorry if that didn't happen fast enough?

Considering the volume of people and all that could have went wrong Gardai did a good job in policing the event.

Do you really think it would have been in the best interest of the country to adopt an zero tolerance aggressive approach at this protest? Line up the public order unit with shields and batons and force mostly ordinary decent men women and kids off the street? That would only incite a riot...

• Locust wrote: »
    Was anyone seriously hurt? it wasn't exactly Love Ulster, i was there and found it overall very peaceful...
    People do have a right to protest don't they? Traffic diversions were in place... the whole country knew this was happening.

There was a 'breakaway' sit down protest later on and they were removed... sorry if that didn't happen fast enough?

Considering the volume of people and all that could have went wrong Gardai did a good job in policing the event.

Do you really think it would have been in the best interest of the country to adopt an zero tolerance aggressive approach at this protest? Line up the public order unit with shields and batons and force mostly ordinary decent men women and kids off the street? That would only incite a riot...

His problem lies with the break away protest, not the main one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Imagine that happening a Senator or whatever in the USA? The PO Unit would be the least of the "peaceful" protesters worries…..there would be shots fired…….

Er no there wouldnt have been any shots fired because simply the personally hired protection detail paid for by the senator themselves .[You dont get secret service protection until you are president, the vice prez, secetary of state .etc]
    If they were anyway clued into their job wouldnt have allowed their principal into a situation like jobstown in the first place!Secondly they wouldnt have allowed thenselves to be caught in a mob situation and wouldnt have parked the car in a position to be trapped and surrounded.
    First sign of problems its time to hit the road or get back inside the building and call for massive back up.
    But this was the first time something like this happened in the land of "ah shure nuthin will happen"So its not surprising it became a bit messy.First time for everything...
    Compared to most places this was indeed peaceful.Anywhere else "Iphone Joane" would have been viewing the protestor s feet for a few hours in an upside down car while bricks and cs gas canisters were thrown .

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

French CRS ( Compagnies Républicaines de Sécurité )

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭jimmythedivil

For the last few years almost every few days I see the ARU OR ERU Volvos driving up and down with the occupants looking absolutely bored out of there minds. I can only think of a couple of occasions in the last couple of years when these guys would have actually been needed locally. The situation that most comes to mind was when that lunatic robbed the Garda car and drove to Cork Airport, robbed another car and started driving around the runway while a jet filled with fuel was just sitting there. Look at the youtube video of that incident and see how the security forces seemed to be utterly incapable of intervening. If ever there was a reason for the well armed and well trained Garda response units to intervene this was it and yet they were powerless and pretty much just had to sit there while this mad man put people's lives at risk.

From what I can see the ARU and ERU were created as a response to an increasingly lawless situation in Limerick and other places which has since died down. Remember Willie O'Dea talking of putting the army on the streets at one stage! This is Ireland. Regardless of what the Sunday World or Love Hate watchers would like you to believe this is one of the safest countries in Europe if not the world. We don't have the same urban ghettoisation that they have in the UK and other places.

We don't need huge tank like Garda vehicles with policemen dressed as soldiers sitting in them bored off their arses driving up and down Irish cities for hours. It's a huge waste of money and resources. What we need is a dedicated reaction force that can respond only in emergency situations like the one in Cork Airport a few years ago AND be given the power to intervene.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭bravestar

For the last few years almost every few days I see the ARU OR ERU Volvos driving up and down with the occupants looking absolutely bored out of there minds. I can only think of a couple of occasions in the last couple of years when these guys would have actually been needed locally. The situation that most comes to mind was when that lunatic robbed the Garda car and drove to Cork Airport, robbed another car and started driving around the runway while a jet filled with fuel was just sitting there. Look at the youtube video of that incident and see how the security forces seemed to be utterly incapable of intervening. If ever there was a reason for the well armed and well trained Garda response units to intervene this was it and yet they were powerless and pretty much just had to sit there while this mad man put people's lives at risk.

From what I can see the ARU and ERU were created as a response to an increasingly lawless situation in Limerick and other places which has since died down. Remember Willie O'Dea talking of putting the army on the streets at one stage! This is Ireland. Regardless of what the Sunday World or Love Hate watchers would like you to believe this is one of the safest countries in Europe if not the world. We don't have the same urban ghettoisation that they have in the UK and other places.

We don't need huge tank like Garda vehicles with policemen dressed as soldiers sitting in them bored off their arses driving up and down Irish cities for hours. It's a huge waste of money and resources. What we need is a dedicated reaction force that can respond only in emergency situations like the one in Cork Airport a few years ago AND be given the power to intervene.

Firstly, Its RSU, regional support unit, not ASU. They have been involved in a hell of a lot more than you seem to be aware of.

Secondly, the ERU, perform a completely different role and were not created, they existed before, because of anything to do with limerick.

• For the last few years almost every few days I see the ARU OR ERU Volvos driving up and down with the occupants looking absolutely bored out of there minds. I can only think of a couple of occasions in the last couple of years when these guys would have actually been needed locally. The situation that most comes to mind was when that lunatic robbed the Garda car and drove to Cork Airport, robbed another car and started driving around the runway while a jet filled with fuel was just sitting there. Look at the youtube video of that incident and see how the security forces seemed to be utterly incapable of intervening. If ever there was a reason for the well armed and well trained Garda response units to intervene this was it and yet they were powerless and pretty much just had to sit there while this mad man put people's lives at risk.

Don't rely on the media to know the full role of particular unit. They do so much more than is publicised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭weadick

foreign wrote: »
    Don't rely on the media to know the full role of particular unit. They do so much more than is publicised.

Hah ya right. We laugh at the army for being paid to play toy soldiers but the Guards have free reign to waste public money on whatever they want? They should be disbanded asap along with the traffic corps.

• weadick wrote: »
    Hah ya right. We laugh at the army for being paid to play toy soldiers but the Guards have free reign to waste public money on whatever they want? They should be disbanded asap along with the traffic corps.

They provide armed support for regular gardai. They provide armed support for sieges and support for searches.

And we can see the lack of traffic corp numbers is leading to an increase of deaths on our roads already. I bet you are the first to give out when there are no gardaí around to deal with dangerous driving on the roads.

You also have the air of a troll with comments like you have made.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭coach23

weadick wrote: »

genius post

Don't rely on the media to know the full role of particular unit. They do so much more than is publicised

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/thousands-take-to-the-streets-again-over-charges-30954020.html

Pic shows 'the bearded one' in full flight with the woman behind trying to restrain him ? But it shows what members are faced with in a 'peaceful' protest :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

From what I can see the ARU and ERU were created as a response to an increasingly lawless situation in Limerick and other places which has since died down. Remember Willie O'Dea talking of putting the army on the streets at one stage!

No it has not, Limerick about to kick off again, new thugs on the block starting to take up where the others left off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

The ERU were set up long before the situation in Limerick developed. The RSU came into existence probably due to a serious lack of having the appropriately trained officers with the right tools available through out the country.

Singapore riot police c.'64

Advertisement