Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bsc Emergency Medical Science commencing Sept 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭BoonDoc

Paramedics do 12 leads & can recognise your rhythm, CFR-C's are not allowed use igels. You appear to have a major gripe with paramedics & their training in Ireland ?

Try to keep up, Tango.
    http://www.safetyireland.com/cardiac_first_response_advanced.htm
    "non inflatable supraglottic airway" = iGel

And being able to read a 12 lead is grand.....but they can't do anything more to the casualty than what a CFR-A can do.

Correct me if I am wrong, mate.....

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Tango Alpha 51

BoonDoc wrote: »
    Try to keep up, Tango.
    http://www.safetyireland.com/cardiac_first_response_advanced.htm
    "non inflatable supraglottic airway" = iGel

And being able to read a 12 lead is grand.....but they can't do anything more to the casualty than what a CFR-A can do.

Correct me if I am wrong, mate.....

Boondoc,

"Try to keep up" - smart comment don't you think. You didn't state CFR-A in your original comment hence my reply. As a Instructor I'm only too familiar with what the respective levels can & can't do. As a member of the service for over 12 years, I find your comments insulting to the vast majority of staff who do their best day in, day out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

I can see where BoonDoc is coming from. It's 2014. Not 1984.

We shouldn't be providing double crewed Paramedic vehicles who cannot provide an ALS level of care. Therefore, we should be training to an ALS level, not to an intermediate level of care. I just don't see the logic in training to Paramedic level, it's obsolete and not best practice.

If we look at the UK, with the exception of the SAS, they've stepped away from the training of IHCD Technicians and are focusing on the training of Paramedics. Some are recruiting directly from Uni students and some are going the "apprentice" route and still resulting in a Honors Degree qualification.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭19hz

BoonDoc I see where your coming from man..and it's hard to say the things your saying cause people tend to see it as unpatriotic to talk badly of anything Irish yano..thank god your not in america or you'd be labeled a terrorist! I agree with a lot of what your saying.
    It's pretty black and white.

I wonder how many 1st world countries you could travel to with the Irish Paramedic qualification and gain employment as a paramedic.
    Does anyone know the answer to that?

Also on the CFR thing BoonDoc, there is two levels of CRF.. basic and advanced, the basic lads don't use the Igel. Just to clear that up. Still a very valid point about the big overlap of care between a CRF-A and a Paramedic.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Tango Alpha 51

19hz wrote: »
    BoonDoc I see where your coming from man..and it's hard to say the things your saying cause people tend to see it as unpatriotic to talk badly of anything Irish yano..thank god your not in america or you'd be labeled a terrorist! I agree with a lot of what your saying.
    It's pretty black and white.

I wonder how many 1st world countries you could travel to with the Irish Paramedic qualification and gain employment as a paramedic.
    Does anyone know the answer to that?

Also on the CFR thing BoonDoc, there is two levels of CRF.. basic and advanced, the basic lads don't use the Igel. Just to clear that up. Still a very valid point about the big overlap of care between a CRF-A and a Paramedic.

Simply put you wouldn't, depending on what state you go to work in, in the US, you'd either be an EMT-B or an EMT-I with the irish Para qual. The AP qual would be obviously the equip to the international paramedic qual with the exception of the different drugs. No disputes this, my point & it's no reflection on Boondoc or anyone else as we're all entitled to an opinion is that we in the service have come along way especially on the last 10years. Yes there's a lot more which could & should be done but I still maintain there is no need to be so negative towards the qualification over here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭stevie06

[quote/]I can seeto where boon Doc is coming from. It's 2014. Not 1984.

We shouldn't be providing double crewed Paramedic vehicles who cannot provide an ALS level of care. Therefore, we should be training to an ALS level, not to an intermediate level of care. I just don't see the logic in training to Paramedic level, it's obsolete and not best practice.

If we look at the UK, with the exception of the SAS, they've stepped away from the training of IHCD Technicians and are focusing on the training of Paramedics. Some are recruiting directly from Uni students and some are going the "apprentice" route and still resulting in a Honors Degree qualification.[/quote]

Yes in an ideal world we could have an AP on every ambulance, but it isn't a case of throwing a switch and "hey presto" we have loads of AP's......... It's a a min 5 years for an AP from walking off the street to finishing your internship!
    We have a three teir system, and to be honest it works alot of the time! Not every call needs an AP/ALS, off hand I'd say prob 20% of calls need an AP!
    The majority of calls a paramedic is well capable of dealing with!

With regards to BoonDoc, a paramedic can deal perfectly well with a heart attack (MI) bar morphine for pain relief. (but we can request an AP for that) But we can recognise MI and implement the correct pathway. The MONA protocol is a legacy from the past and isn't Best practice anymore!
    With regards to ALS for cardiac arrest, the majority of cardiac arrest requires CPR and early defib! the CFR is best place to provide this! I think the great thing from your comparison is that CFR s can deal with cardiac arrest with the same skills as a paramedic! This is good for the people of Ireland!! The NAS will never be in a position To provide full coverage of the country! It's a logistics nightmare! Pre hospital care is an evolving thing! We are getting there! BoonDoc if you are worried about the cover in your area, do something about it, start a CFR group! There is a policy in place that will support you! Contact your local Operation officer if you would like to know more!

Yes there's a lot more which could & should be done but I still maintain there is no need to be so negative towards the qualification over here.

True but it's annoying we are behind yano.
    I think people are being more negative towards the college course than the Irish qual in this thread.

It's a bit weird that a ten week classroom course plus placement and internship will yield the same working title as a 4 year degree course.. at least from what seems to be the case at the moment..like what are they putting into a 4 year degree course to bulk it out?.. :confused:
    stevie06 wrote: »
    The NAS will never be in a position To provide full coverage of the country! It's a logistics nightmare!

Wholeheartedly agree.
    Ireland has a lot of very rural areas and would be unfeasible to cover these areas that may only have a few 999 calls a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭crackcrack30

"The NAS will never be in a position To provide full coverage of the country!"

I'm going to disagree here......at the moment there are a lot of iorns in the fire that have no place in a patient focused prehospital Emergency Service. (I think we are a necessary service? like refuge collection.)

Politics- Bally-degojump deserves/demands its ambulance .....Ambo does 200 calls a year.
    Hospitals- keep the wards moving by all accounts ......two paras sitting on a pts patient in traffic while AS1's holding......brilliant
    Regions - Nearest ambulance base to call 10k away but in a different region so ambo comes 50k to pt, f*c* off.
    Ampds - A disaster, putting words in the mouths of 999 callers.
    G.P's - Its a great doctor that can get ya an ambulance at such short notice......takes letter and follows walking patient to ambulance.
    The public- No awareness campaign as to what we do......distance ourselves from the Taxi image.

I could go on...

At the moment we are not a Patient focused Emergency Service.....sadly we are an Ambulance service ......A to B.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

This is a racket. It is a way for the academic institutions for getting more money out of the paramedic educational system.

Funny enough others would look at it that keeping things as they are would be acting to keep a state organisation in a monopoly position on education for a particular profession.

Anyway, to answer the OP from what I've heard many times the days of being paid to study as a paramedic by the HSE are over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭crackcrack30

The class sizes should be set on a year to year basis on the retirement numbers projected from the NAS/DFB.....lets say 70 paras retire each year there should be a max of 70-90 cao places or trained to give some realistic prospect of employment for all.....and allow for privates, emigration, further education...

• Advertisement

I reckon 70% of em will abscond to some far off sunny land if the degree will allow them too..

DepartureGatesINTERNAL.jpg

I reckon 70% of em will abscond to some far off sunny land if the degree will allow them too.. [/IMG]

I agree that more and more lads are heading out of our borders for work. Sadly, this BSc will only get lads a job as an EMT-Basic or as a PCP in Canada.

No ALS skills= no paramedic jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭antichrist

Would have gotten back sooner but I was working/drinking/caring about other crap other than this thread!
    For a femur fracture a nice mix of micro dose ketamine with 2.5mg of midazolam. Sorry, entonox just is not good enough. With the new NR-P coming on board in the US they would even do a femoral block.

No, this is not a nation wide guideline in the US. From talking with friends over there Ketamine isn't administered let alone getting oversight for mixing Midazolam for pain relief.

Femoral block isn't routinely practiced yet either. Yes it may be on the cards but that counts for nothing if you have a fracture today.
    My fast heart would get quickly assessed and synced and I would be given a drug to slow it down. Here in Ireland? They would hold my hand on the ride to Tralee or Cork.

Transcutanious pacing isn't regularly practiced either. Adenosine would however be administered, a drug not in use in Ireland or the UK for paramedics/AP's. Here an AP would get oversight for Amiodarone.
    In my tiny town outside of Kenmare someone dropped with a heart attack right in the middle of the town. It took 20 minutes to get the PHECC Paramedics there. They could only do what the CFR was already doing (pushing and AED). The GP showed up and he couldn't do ALS either. The guy died from PHECC guidelines.

How did you know it was a heart attack? He died from PHECC guidelines? How? Did the guidelines state to do nothing? No one ever died from lack of intubation, just lack of oxygen. As an ALS provider I can state that ALS doesn't get everyone back. You seem to assume that if there was an AP the patient would have survived.

20 minutes for an ambulance isn't great but this is what happens in rural Ireland. If you want an instant response may I suggest moving closer to a hospital or an ambulance base. If you lived 30mins from a fire station would you complain that it took the fire service 30 minutes to get there??
    So basically, a one day trained CFR can roughly do just as much as a four year trained paramedic? They can put in an iGel, attach the AED and push.

CFR-A can insert an I-Gel, this is taught to a healthcare worker and not a layperson.
    Let's say I have chest pains. Easy MONA treatment right? Oh, but morphine is an AP skill. So I just have to deal with my chest pain to Cork? For an hour and a half? An the paramedics have no idea what kind of rhythm my heart is in?

As I stated before, Paramedics are well capable of dealing with chest pain. Aspirin and GTN are always a first line treatment, if STEMI then clopidogrel is administered. Entonox can also ease the pain. Their protocols would have called for ALS be it by land or by air and the patient would be taken to the PCI lab.
    So again I ask....what is taught on that 3.5 year Paramedic course that will make them better???? UK Paramedics are still going through a 2 year degree and getting far more skills than even APs.

A 4 year paramedic course will teach the same as a 4 year nursing course but with the ability to preform more interventions and administer more medications than a nurse can.

Yes...we are behind.....yes...we are playing catch up, but, we need to identify what we are to catch up to. The USA? The UK? Australia? Canada? All these factors get identified before new CPG's are implemented. Do I think the 4 years is the right way to go...no...but...it may yield paramedics with a better ability and more confidence to go forward to the AP course.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

For what its worth, there are many EFRs in the red Cross trained to CFR-A standard. Not just limited to healthcare professionals

antichrist wrote: »
    Adenosine would however be administered, a drug not in use in Ireland or the UK for paramedics/AP's.

I've been on scene when it was used by a para in the UK (Think it was for wolf parkinsons white).. perhaps only certain trusts use it?...
    It was a UK Para not ECP or CCP etc..

I've been on scene when it was used by a para in the UK (Think it was for wolf parkinsons white).. perhaps only certain trusts use it?...
    It was a UK Para not ECP or CCP etc..

We can give it here, with oversight but its not routine

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Bang Bang

Adenosine is on the SI 518, Seventh Schedule Part 1 for Advanced Paramedics for use in treating SVT. So I guess there are thoughts or plans for its use in the future, but currently AP's don't carry it.

Bang Bang wrote: »
    Adenosine is on the SI 518, Seventh Schedule Part 1 for Advanced Paramedics for use in treating SVT. So I guess there are thoughts or plans for its use in the future, but currently AP's don't carry it.

Due to that Japanese study on CPR drugs, Adenosine may be removed when the new AHA update gets published in 2015.
    Epi will be gone. They are slowly removing all of the toys and just focusing on push and shock.

Still a good idea to intubate in cardiac arrest along with the EZ IO. There is just no way to really secure that airway other than a definitive option. Thus the need for PHECC Paramedics to join the world of intubation and cannulation.

Actually, this study promotes the use on ACLS drugs

Evaluation of pre-hospital administration of adrenaline (epinephrine) by emergency medical services for patients with out of hospital cardiac arrest in Japan: controlled propensity matched retrospective cohort study
    http://www.bmj.com/content/347/bmj.f6829?pmid=24326886&view=long

I suppose we'll have to wait and see what the course content is..
    You never know, we might be pleasantly surprised?...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭stevie06

Due to that Japanese study on CPR drugs, Adenosine may be removed when the new AHA update gets published in 2015.
    Epi will be gone. They are slowly removing all of the toys and just focusing on push and shock.

Still a good idea to intubate in cardiac arrest along with the EZ IO. There is just no way to really secure that airway other than a definitive option. Thus the need for PHECC Paramedics to join the world of intubation and cannulation.

You spent most of the thread talking how we need drugs to look after you when your heart goes into cardiac arrest, but in one statement you contradict all of that!

Focus on push and shock...... Luckily Paramedics are good at that!

Intubation is certainly a definitive airway, but a well placed correctly sized SGA inserted early can provide a effective airway without the interruption to compressions that may accompany intubation! the focus is less on intubation now, and even some trusts in the UK aren't even training their paramedic to intubate. The same trust has shown an almost 50% increase in survival in the last few years...... Now I'm in now was saying they are linked, cause they are not, but it certainly holds fact that it didn't adversely effect the outcome! They focused on early cpr and early defib........ Those are key!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭FGR

"The NAS will never be in a position To provide full coverage of the country!"

I'm going to disagree here......at the moment there are a lot of iorns in the fire that have no place in a patient focused prehospital Emergency Service. (I think we are a necessary service? like refuge collection.)

Politics- Bally-degojump deserves/demands its ambulance .....Ambo does 200 calls a year.
    Hospitals- keep the wards moving by all accounts ......two paras sitting on a pts patient in traffic while AS1's holding......brilliant
    Regions - Nearest ambulance base to call 10k away but in a different region so ambo comes 50k to pt, f*c* off.
    Ampds - A disaster, putting words in the mouths of 999 callers.
    G.P's - Its a great doctor that can get ya an ambulance at such short notice......takes letter and follows walking patient to ambulance.
    The public- No awareness campaign as to what we do......distance ourselves from the Taxi image.

I could go on...

At the moment we are not a Patient focused Emergency Service.....sadly we are an Ambulance service ......A to B.

This. Speaking from the outside (but in another EMS) I can't help but notice the abuse of the NAS and the parallels with other services.

In relation to training standards and qualifications - is there any sign of the HSE conducting a review or are they satisfied with the status quo?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

D Trent wrote: »

If the likes of LAS and EEAS are struggling so much for staff in a country that has a population of 60million and many universities offering the paramedic degree what does that say?

I'll tell ya what it says.. even if UCD churns out 100 degree paramedics a year most of em will be gone (if current trend continues).
    I can't honestly see this current recruitment panel being the last one, will definitely be more.

Guy from LAS went over to UAE I think it was and set up their ambulance service..where do you think he poached the paras? Huge amount left, couldn't resist 2 year contract on 60k sterling a year tax free.

Amazing jobs in the middle east, Australia, etc and great money too.

Ireland will struggle to keep degree graduates in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭steve22

miju wrote: »
    Anyway, to answer the OP from what I've heard many times the days of being paid to study as a paramedic by the HSE are over.

:(

That is all...

steve22 wrote: »
    :(

That is all...

Ah chin up man.. UK still paying paras to train years after uni brought the course out.. be grand ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

It's a bit weird that a ten week classroom course plus placement and internship will yield the same working title as a 4 year degree course.. at least from what seems to be the case at the moment..like what are they putting into a 4 year degree course to bulk it out?.. :confused:

As a current 4th year on the nursing degree in UCD I'd guess there would be a lot of the routine degree padding aimed at the 18 year old school leaver - study skills, researching and writing assignments and doing group presentations/posters. Almost definitely a module on communication skills, and cultural awareness (with assignments to write).

There'll probably also be a hefty dose of sociology thrown in (we've had it in some form or another every semester), and assignments in that to research and write. Probably a module on leadership or management. Maybe a side order of politics in healthcare.

Then there's the electives - one or two modules a semester. Can learn some spanish, something architectural, film studies....whatever you fancy and which can be fitted into your time table.

The padding is what is supposed to differ a degree from a diploma/cert - developing critical thinking, research skills, etc. Using the degree model to train nurses is something I'm in two minds about - as a mature student who had studied previously some of it moved a bit slowly for me BUT I've seen the growth and change in my classmates who came in as school leavers, and how they've benefited.

IMHO, the issue with CAO entry for training to work on ambulances is that it there's no way to assess applicants maturity and personal attributes - I've experienced some distressing things while on placement, and there's a lot of support available for nursing students in training hospitals (ward staff, preceptors, etc) and I don't know if the same could be provided for undergrad Bsc emergence students on placement with ambulance services. Hypothetically a crew could have to help their distraught student as well as patient/family/bystanders at a difficult call out scene.

I don't know the stats for drop out rates from health science degrees - but do remember a fair amount leaving our class after first year, so class numbers for the BSc in emergency medical science would need to allow for that. There's also the economies of scale as UCD would obviously like to have a larger numbers paying registration fees. The lecture theatres in the health sciences building can hold hundreds of students....

• Registered Users Posts: 5 ciaranmchugh

Bang Bang wrote: »
    There are plenty of competent well trained paramedics with ALS skills in Ireland that may well keep you alive for you on that long journey, it does happen.
    There are over forty new Advanced Paramedics qualifying in Ireland each year, be positive;)

Yes you are dead right I personally know many many personnel who work with NAS and if I were dying I would feel very safe having them treat me!!! And whats more I am delighted that the paramedic course is going university as it is my dream job it is a welcomed bonus that I will have a DEGREE at the end of it instead of a diploma!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 markfitzymark

palmtrees wrote: »
    I am. A phone call to UCD CEMS confirmed that it would be AP standard.

The equivalent AP course in the UK is 3 years, and they get far less holidays than we do in Ireland so it's roughly 3.5 years equivalent for us. Same with nurses, nurses do 3 years in the UK, they do 4 here. Same qualification at the end. Why don't nurses do another year and become a doctor? If they want to be a doctor they will try to become a doctor.

...did you just equate not being able to get a job in the offshore industry with not being able to deal with patients?

The biggest problem with this course is not the standard of training, that will only improve. The biggest problem, in my opinion, is 17/18 year olds being put into an AP course. There should be an interview process for this because I'm sure you will agree that a lot of 17/18 year olds would find it difficult to cope with the stress and horrific scenarios that go with this job.

Guys AP UK and AP IRL Are not the same qualification uk version is more advanced allowing more proceedures and drugs ect, agreed 4 yrs is too long to just come out standard paramedic the uni system will be a shamble as 2019 before first APwill role off production line then HSE will pick top of the class and pay juniir paramedic pay for 18 months with no obligation to keep anyone on so guess what will happen ? Yip revolving door AP system where after 18months experience the new guys will a. Be let go or b. Emmigrate to better pay!! Bad idea all round!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Guys AP UK and AP IRL Are not the same qualification uk version is more advanced allowing more proceedures and drugs ect, agreed 4 yrs is too long to just come out standard paramedic the uni system will be a shamble as 2019 before first APwill role off production line then HSE will pick top of the class and pay juniir paramedic pay for 18 months with no obligation to keep anyone on so guess what will happen ? Yip revolving door AP system where after 18months experience the new guys will a. Be let go or b. Emmigrate to better pay!! Bad idea all round!

I believe by the year 2019 HSE (or whatever it will be called by then) will not be responsible for ambulance service
    I can see the NAS being it's own entity under the dept of health by then so hopefully it will be better funded

Advertisement