Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wildhunter Predator 800

Options
  • 11-01-2014 1:59am
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Had a look at one of these today and have to say was fairly impressed. Normally i take the given range of a lamp and half it. During the day the beam was focused, clear, and bright. Which got me thinking if it's this good in day what is it like at night.

Now the reason i ask about this is the price i was given is very, very keen, and i'm finding it hard to pass it up. I have a Lightforce 140 scope mounted light, and dual battery pack so was considering "do i need it". However the Wildhunter is compact, lighter, no external battery pack, and frankly i've yet to use the Lightforce over 200 yards so while it gives phenomenal lighting well past 500 yards i'm still leaning towards the Wildhunter.

What i want is first hand reviews. Maybe even some of the following answered:
    1. Any one have one, bought one?
    2. Is it really as good as it seems?
    3. What distance can you make out the target?
    4. What distance can you really see eyes at?
    5. Does the battery have a good life?
    6. Does the beam stay bright till the end of the battery or does it fade over use?
    7. If it fades how long have you the "best" light for?

Cheers for any help.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Since i posted this thread and with no responses i decided to buy one and try it. Collected it today and brought it home. I stuck one of the two batteries in and tried it without any charging.

The field at the back of my house is a yard or two short of 500 yards. There are "markers" along the field which give an idea of distance (from previously ranging them). The first is a stake at 101 yards. Another marker is a far set of tress to the right of the field at 212 yards. The next is a dip in the field at 254 yards. An incline after the dip which goes from 267 to 321 yards. Then flat ground from the 321 yard mark to the back of the field at 499 yards.

The torch easily lit up the 101 yard stake. Clear and easily. The dip at 254 yards was well lit up with the concentrated beam lighting up lumps of grass, etc on the incline. It lit up the brow of the incline at 321 yards, again showing clumps of grass, etc. It did not light up the back ditch of the field at 499 yards. The light went that far, but between the full moon, and frost/fog it was hard to make out any shape. It did light up eyes of sheep at the end of the field.

So to check i brought out the Lightforce 140 and twin battery pack. I stood in the same place and checked the same markers. The stake (101 yards), the dip (254 yards) the brow (321 yards) were all as visible as with the torch. However like the torch i could not clearly make out the sheep at the end of the field but could see the eyes.

I went back in and charged the torch from 6:30pm till 21:20 pm (just shy of 3 hours). I went back out with both lamps/torches. The fog/mist is now worse than before. The back field is so covered that neither light can show beyond the dip and even the dip is not entirely visible. You can see and make out the incline (from 254 yards) but loose it at the point of the brow.

I went to the road which while misty is not as bad as the field (filed is on/beside boggy ground) and tried both. There is a telegraph pole at 241 yards and both lamp and torch lit it up and made it easily identifiable.

Results & opinions.

The Wildhunter has a very focused central beam which is bathed in a wider, less intense, light. This is for focused aiming of the light at the target and also providing surrounding light to pick up eyes or anything moving in the periphery. It is very much like the ND laser designator, but as the technology is not laser based would not have the distance given in such devices. The Lightforce has the same, but with the Lightforce having a dual battery pack, 5.5" lens, etc. it has the Wildhunter bet for power. However the difference is not so much as to say one is miles better than the other.

The conditions tonight were not great. The moon is almost completely full and there is enough ambient light to see to the bottom of the field with any light. This coupled with the mist/fog, and the frost falling proved to be a problem to both lamps. I will test again in a few days when it's not misty and darker than it is tonight, but based on results in less than ideal conditions i can say i'm happy with the purchase.

The torch is approx 6.5-7" and about 180 - 220 grams. It comes with a car charger, home charger, two batteries, hand held end cap for walking, or gun mount and wired end cap with switch so you don't have to take your hand of the stock to turn it on. It has the white LED as standard but a red and green can be bought. The torch is definitely capable of showing eyes out to 800 metres as claimed, but ONLY on pitch dark night with no mist, fog, rain, frost, etc. IOW in the most black of black nights. Even then only eyes.

I'd happily recommend the torch for identifiable shooting out to 350 - 400 (max) yards, and eyes out further. It is a significant set up from the previous model which i received many PMs about in terms of the low quality of it (thanks again lads). This 800 model is definitely better. It is not as good as the scope mounted Lightforce 140, but then again for a torch that is less in weight, smaller in size, and far cheaper i wasn't expecting it to be. However, as said above, the difference is not huge. There is a difference, but it's not a case of chalk and cheese.

Based on the next few testings over the coming days i'll decide if it is as good as i think it is, will hold up to bad weather use, and if so i might invest in a second one as they are much, much handier than a battery pack, and 140 to go out solo lamping.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭valerossi

That's one serious review lad:) does it come as standard with the remote switch (end cap) and do you have any idea how we'll the red filter works with it. looks like I have to buy one, cheers

valerossi wrote: »
    That's one serious review lad:)
    Too much time on my hands. :D

I'm hoping if anyone else is looking at one they can go here, and it'll help in their decision making.
    does it come as standard with the remote switch (end cap)
    Yes. It comes with:
    1. Torch.
    2. End cap with on/off switch.
    3. Second end cap with long lead and velcro strap to mount on/off switch on rifle.
    4. Scope mount.
    5. Car charger.
    6. Home charger.
    7. Two batteries (only uses one at a time to run light).
    8. White LED.
    and do you have any idea how we'll the red filter works with it.
    No idea yet. Sean has them there, but i wanted to test the torch before going for extra LEDs. They are on the Wildhunter site at €30 a go, but Sean is doing them for €27 (i think).

It's still early days, but initial impressions are good. I'll want to test it out over the coming week and if the performance stays as good then i'll update with a definitive recommend or not (as the case warrants).

Before anyone rushes out to buy one and then blames me when they don't get the same results i want to clarify one point. Namely this one:
    Cass wrote: »
    I'd happily recommend the torch for identifiable shooting out to 350 - 400 (max) yards, and eyes out further. .
    This is the distance i can gauge that the torch is effective to. This is allowing for outside light sources (moon, houses, etc). I will get a better idea of it's true abilities when i have it out where i shoot. IOW in complete darkness. Putting the brightness of the full moon aside (as it'll be used in such conditions) i'd like to try it where i shoot. No street lights, houses, etc to interfere with results. Weather conditions are part and parcel so not too concerned about them.

Also here is a picture of the kit with the pieces labelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Good review :D

If they are lith ion batteries, which I think they are from reading about them before, they will be 100% full power and then die without any fading.

Every flashlight these days should be made with these instead of standard AA/AAA imo. Much better for lamping and longer lasting.

• Advertisement

garv123 wrote: »
    If they are lith ion batteries, which I think they are from reading about them before, they will be 100% full power and then die without any fading.
    So i've heard. I think that's why they give you two of them, but only need one to run the torch. Have a back up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

So i've heard. I think that's why they give you two of them, but only need one to run the torch. Have a back up.

Should get good time out of the batteries. I have one on a scope mounted torch and its still on its original charge that it came out of the packet with.

I hate them mounts they come with and think theyre awkward for quick detach/mounting so I used this option.

I used this to suit a 20mm quick detach(or nut) mount, the body of most torches are 25mm so suit a normal scope mount, all id to do was pick a mount height to clear the objective.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/30mm-1-Ring-Scope-Flashlight-Laser-Mount-Picatinny-Weaver-Rail-20mm-base-New-/181296840239?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a36223e2f

Put it together and you get something like this that pops on and off in seconds.

0A176113-9B66-48C0-A2BF-9CAFDB028D9F-2304-00000354B6AF0AFF_zps1952d547.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭clivej

Cass is it the same as this Nightmaster do you think??

http://www.nightmaster.co.uk/hunting-lamping-light.html

Full review here
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?348412-Dereelight-Night-Master-Review

An IR lens kit is available for the Nightmaster.

Great review by the way. Thumbs up for it.

After having a look through those links and the NM seems very similar to the WH.

In terms of size, length, weight, build, lens, LED, etc they are almost identical. The only difference i can see from the videos & pictures of the NM to what i've seen the WH do is the light itself. Both seem to have a great central/focused beam. However the NM seems to have either dark rings in the flood lighting or no flood lighting unless you adjust the head to turn it from focused to flood. The WH has both the focused beam and flood light at the same time.

I'd hate to live on any difference. The kits seem to differ too. The NM comes with charger, battery and gun mount. The WH has the same but also an extra battery, car charger and second switch for use on a rifle. Last difference is price. The NM in that link is €190 (£159) whereas the WH is €120.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Nigel041

I have one coming 2moro, bought it of a lovely guy from Co.Clare off flebay never used €111.50 it cost including postage with a turbo kit..
    I'm hopping there as good as people say there are will be giving it a test Wed night on the bunnies on our usual golf course, it's alive with bunnies..
    Only thing is it's coming with white only LED so need to look at uk for a Red one in near future..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 Nigel041

The night master 800 I am talking about.. It it's near as good at the WH reviewed by Cass I'll be delighted...

Haven't gotten out, but last night it was completely dark with heavy cloud and no moon so i done a test. Stuck a white plastic rod (used for electric fencing) at 240 yards down the field and went back to the house. Turned on the light and the peg/rod was identifiable. The flood lighting also lit up the surrounding 25 yards in all directions with good light and further out with weaker light.

I've tried taking pictures to show comparisons but my camera is rubbish and doesn't pick up anything. I can see more with the naked eye than the camera can, even on night mode. If i get a better camera i'll try upload some pics.

The max distance i shoot at night is 200 yards. This is down to a number of factors the three most important being that is the average, longest, distance i have on the lands i shoot, it's my PBR range, and it's also as far as i like to shoot at night. Night shooting can be a pain as distances seem longer than they are, but from knowing the lands i know the distances. However should a longer shot present itself i'd happily take it knowing the torch will do what i need.

Secondly i still have my Lightforce, scope mounted 140 with variable beam so i'll equip one rifle with the torch and other with the Lightforce. Covered for all eventualities.

Well I'm making a Nightvision setup to fit my Bushnell 4200 Elite 6-24x50 scope.
    At the moment I have both a 170 handheld & 140 scope mountable lamps with IR filters. But I was looking to get a good IR torch to reduce the weight of my setup.
    Very much still a work in progress

Got this much completed so far.

20140120_100428_zps83a5a60b.jpg

20140120_100511_zps9a52b7de.jpg

Scope on x6 zoom and cows at 500m

20140120_100743_zpsa5bf44d5.jpg

Scope on x24 zoom and cows at 500m

20140120_100756_zpsacde662e.jpg

Just FYI. You know as soon as you mount any item to a rifle and it makes it NV that authorisation is required from your Super to have/use it.

Just FYI. You know as soon as you mount any item to a rifle and it makes it NV that authorisation is required from your Super to have/use it.

Have to disagree there.

The fitting of a 'Nightvision scope' needs permission.

This is just a camera that views a Day scopes image and transmits it for viewing on a LCD screen, nothing nightvision about that. ;);)

Another Gray area............... lets not go there :mad::mad:

clivej wrote: »
    This is just a camera that views a Day scopes image and transmits it for viewing on a LCD screen, nothing nightvision about that. ;);)
    Nothing Nightvision about it??????????? You wrote just two posts up:
    clivej wrote: »
    Well I'm making a Nightvision setup to fit my Bushnell 4200 Elite 6-24x50 scope
    So it's a nightvision setup to help you view quarry at night that attachs to your firearm.
    Have to disagree there.

The fitting of a 'Nightvision scope' needs permission.

Another Gray area............... lets not go there :mad::mad:
    No grey area at all.

The legislation relates to what the setup does, not how it's constructed. So whether it's a scope built by a manufacturer, or a rig similar to your own it still requires authorisation. As per section 1 of the firearms act:
    the following articles shall be deemed to be such component parts:
    (i) telescope sights with a light beam, or telescope sights with an electronic light amplification device or an infra-red device, designed to be fitted to a firearm specified in paragraph (a), (b), (c) or (e),
    (ii) a silencer designed to be fitted to a firearm specified in paragraph (a), (b) or (e), and
    (iii) any object—
    (I) manufactured for use as a component in connection with the operation of a firearm, and
    (II) without which it could not function as originally designed,

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Sorry clive but Cass is right. If that camera's an NV camera, then it doesn't matter that it's a DIY NV scope or a COTS NV scope, it's covered by the same bit of the legislation.

Nothing Nightvision about it??????????? You wrote just two posts up:

So it's a nightvision setup to help you view quarry at night that attachs to your firearm.

No grey area at all.

The legislation relates to what the setup does, not how it's constructed. So whether it's a scope built by a manufacturer, or a rig similar to your own it still requires authorisation. As per section 1 of the firearms act:
    Sparks wrote: »
    Sorry clive but Cass is right. If that camera's an NV camera, then it doesn't matter that it's a DIY NV scope or a COTS NV scope, it's covered by the same bit of the legislation.

Ah well a man can only try ;);););)

"That's another fine mess you got me into".

Have to see is it as good as my Gen II set up :eek::eek:

My only reason for being so exact is i don't want to see you, or anyone, make the mistake off thinking that because it's not a scope that it's perfectly legal to use without authorisation. Be some kick in the knackers to loose your guns (if stopped) over something you thought was okay.

What camera you got on there Clive? Thinking of building one myself. Good homemade nv group on facebook

• Advertisement

Getting back nto the topic of the thread i'm just after doing a check as it dawned on me that every thing i checked so far has been with the naked eye. IOW i haven't actually looked through the scope of a rifle with the torch mounted.

I got the Father to hold the torch and stuck the rifle on the sticks. Under the lamp i can see a stake at the end of the field quite clearly. That's 497 yards and i can not only see the 4 foot stake, but can place the crosshairs on it without any searching for the light or crosshairs.

So with the naked eye it's a 250+ torch, but with the rifle scope (set on 8 power) it's a 500 yard torch. Result. :D

I have sent off for 2 Night Master 800 IR torches from Dereelight.

Just waiting for them to come now.

NV parts and assembly 18.jpg

NV parts and assembly 16.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭skipking

got a night master 800 from dereelight today battery on charge, hoping to try it out tonight.

NightMaster 800 on my Sako 75. Good out to 300y now

336005.jpg

336006.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Shaner82

Anyone try a red LED im the wildhunter yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭hollowpoint

skipking wrote: »
    got a night master 800 from dereelight today battery on charge, hoping to try it out tonight.

How do u rate them? Was thinking of getting 1 for a gen 1 nv scope I have to see would it make it any better for viewing through

Advertisement