Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do people look down on other who dont own cars?

1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,021 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Do people look down on other who dont own cars?

Generic AH response:

OMG THERE ARE ACTUALLY PEOPLE WHO CHOOSE THEIR LIVES DIFFERENTLY TO ME.....HOW DARE THEY.....HOW BLOODY WELL DARE THEY....KILL THEM ALL......KILL THEM ALL NOW I SAY......THEYRE ALL SCUM

Whether the individuals under discussion are people who own cars/dont own cars/have licences but dont own cars/own cars but dont have licences/steal cars but have a special car-stealing licence is entirely besides the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭crusher000

I wish i could manage without the car and envy does that can live without one . The cost of running a car is so dear. 675 euro tax, 386 insurance, 55 nct annually as my car is now 10 years old, 30 euro a week diesel. If I could get rid of it in the morning I would. My work place is 18 miles from my home and in the summer when the mornings are brighter I cycle to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Well...link

• Registered Users Posts: 36,023 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Nothing wrong with people who dont have a car but i would find it very strange if someone was reaching their late 20's and still didnt have a license.

Why? Millions of people in the developed world who are physically and financially able to drive choose not to. Why are they all "very strange"?

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭noxqs

I don't want a car as it's a fantastic waste of money.

Maintenance
    Petrol price (ever increasing it seems.)
    Insurance
    Cost of purchasing the car

Versus -> Bike/Walking.

Unless you need a car due to lack of other options - why bother? It's not like a car is a status symbol anymore - even people on the dole drive cars. So who cares.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Whether or not you need a car owning a car does give you a lot more freedom in life to do as you please, you can get up and go without worrying about the how, were and when. The only people who generally say they have no need for a car are those that have never driven. Even in Dublin public transport is not amazing might be to other parts of the country but by other major citys it pales in comparison.

Also I hate public transport nothing worse than getting stuck beside so junkie, or fat sweaty fcuker.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭BLACKEN

Jesus this tread got big! :P YAY go me! :D right im only 21 and live in the ass end of monaghan, but it would be great to have my own transport for work/college...... but then again i dont have alot of spare cash and i dont want to be a taxi! Right FECK IT i'm getting a motor bike! :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,235 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

foxyboxer wrote: »
    IMO anyone who doesn't drive should wallow in the riches they've accrued by not spending on annual tax and insurance, weekly petrol, interest payments on the 5 year lease loan to buy the car in the first place.

If I didn't have a car, my daily commute would go from about 1 hour a day to about 3 hours.

Whatever I might save would not even come close to making up for all that lost time.
    pixelburp wrote:
    Whilst the freedom a car gives you is undeniable, public transport made travelling a more pleasurable activity. Yes, even standing in the cold & rain at a bustop is preferable to clutch-brake-clutching your way across the city centre; desperately avoiding every suicidal cyclists & douchebag BMW driver intent on killing you. I miss being able to read my book, relax and generally enjoy the world go by as I'm (essentially) chauffeured around town. Plus it was cheaper, god it's so much cheaper.

I think you might be one of the lucky ones to have such a good experience with Irish public transport.

Even though I was on a supposedly well served bus route, I ended up driving into work as it rarely took that much longer. I didn't have to worry about timetables that were complete fiction. I didn't have to worry about trying to wedge myself onto an already over-filled bus, or putting up with knackers further ruining everyone's commute. And my car was an auto, so it was a very relaxing drive, even in city driving.
    GaryIrv93 wrote: »
    . I'm aware of the disadvantages of doing tests in automatic cars - the restricted licence BS. IMO it kind of bullies people out of doing their tests in automatics. People make their own decisions in life whether to drive whatever type-of-transmission car, and so don't exactly deserve to be looked down on

It's not BS, it makes perfect sense.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I don't need to drive in dublin, so I don't. If my situation changes I will get a license. Doesn't make sense to have a car atm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

Public transport in urban areas is perfectly feasible for getting around, so no, I don't look down on anyone who chooses not to drive.

Provided they don't assume I'll happily assume the role of their unpaid personal chauffeur.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Roadtrippin

A lot of people around Dublin avoid getting a car since there is plenty of decent public transport around (although not everywhere around Dublin).
    In a lot of other cities/places a car (even if it is a ****ty one) is a necessity from a certain age onward, particularly once you're finished with college.
    I find these days way too many undergrads have cars when they really don't need them... They live on campus or around the corner from college and still drive to classes. How lazy can you get! Carbon footprint, people!!!

I find people in cars younger than my 97 one generally look down on me :D I do feel particularly self-conscious about the judgmental looks from the 4x4 drivers with their fancy halogen high-beams blinding me on the motorway :D

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭FueledByAisling

OneArt wrote: »
    If I have to move to a place with sh!tty public transport then I will get a car. Otherwise I'm not wasting a f*cktonne of money on transport which means I have to be sober to use it...

I've noticed in Germany everyone seems shocked that I'm not aiming to buy a car as most people here drive by the time they're 23 or so. I don't really understand it though, I live in a city, Germany has one of the best public transport systems with overgrounds, undergrounds, buses and intercity trains that run all night... Why the HELL would I waste my money on a car?

So unless I move to the middle of nowhere I'm sticking with the U-Bahn.

The main thing I miss about Germany is the ubahn and the buses
    :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

I'm 28 and Just started driving:o
    Am sick of relying on buses etc but I did feel a bit of pressure from people too.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,055 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

I hate having a car however due to a serious lack of public transport options (and no I don't live out in the middle of nowhere) I have no option but to have one. Horrible waste of money they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

Of course they do, but I refuse to be coralled n forced to grow up fast at all. so I'll never own one.. seems more of a profoundly altering commitment than keeping a gf. Besides there's too many on the road. grlfirends.. cars.. girlfriends driving cars, god forbid... no. Just no. also them 'boy racers' make it seem really naff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 playpink

cop on! is it that black and white to you eejits...anyone can drive a car, sure theres plenty of them out ther just driving around :O no license.. shock horror...u lot would wanna crawl out from under that rock ur living under!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭micropig

playpink wrote: »
    cop on! is it that black and white to you eejits...anyone can drive a car, sure theres plenty of them out ther just driving around :O no license.. shock horror...u lot would wanna crawl out from under that rock ur living under!

Nothing is ever black and white
    it's just very, very, very, very dark blue
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭hattoncracker

BLACKEN wrote: »
    Jesus this tread got big! :P YAY go me! :D right im only 21 and live in the ass end of monaghan, but it would be great to have my own transport for work/college...... but then again i dont have alot of spare cash and i dont want to be a taxi! Right FECK IT i'm getting a motor bike! :)

mid-monaghan myself.. Its essential in that area.. I got out when I was 18, but I go stir crazy when I'm home and have to ask for lifts!!

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Kev.OC

I don't look down on people who don't drive. I look, if I'm honest, a little suspiciously on people who don't have a licence (I should point out that I live in an area where the public transport is poor at best). I do look down on people who have no intention to ever learn. After years of being the only one of my close friends with a car, I got sick to the teeth of having to drive people around. For example, if I wanted a game of poker, at my house, I'd have to spend half an hour driving to everyone else's house to collect them. Then another half an hour afterwards to drop them home. It gets old fast.

On a side note, I absolutely love driving! I couldn't do without a car (or a motorbike, as of last October :D).

• Registered Users Posts: 22 jmckelly

No, I don't look down on people who don't own cars. I've had my full licence for 23 years now and have owned a car on and off. During the years that I used public transport I was slightly richer. They are a huge expense now with the increase in tax and fuel, but if it's the price I have to pay for the freedom I've got, then it's worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

BLACKEN wrote: »
    So my question is in day to day life do people look down/be little others who don't own their own transportation?

I notice this too when it comes to meeting the opposite sex too, however i'm of the opinion that it helps keep potential gold diggers away but it can be said that maybe it shows lack of progress in ones life.......... discuss! :-)

No I don't

21/25

Advertisement