Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6 Nations TV Coverage Poll

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭thetruth_time

rte ryle nugent?? What a plank, tom mcgurk is worse! Hook is insane, pope average,but o'shea top class as is horgan, bbc guscott is very biased and annoying the rest are good i have to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

BBC 90% of the time.
    Pretty much Ryle Nugent, I can't stand him.
    Was happy to watch the Irish game on RTE without him commentating.
    Although listening to English commentate on English rugby can be horrible at time, its better than Nugent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

Charlie 22 wrote: »
    Yeah he was good but it is so hard to take his comments seriously when he is still in the game. At one stage he said ''for me Sexton, Kearney and Reddan were excellent today'' which was true but these guys are also his team mates.

He is good but his insights can seem biased even if not intended.

I agree. Having current players as pundits is a bad idea. you could see how uncomfortable Castro was on the BBC having to comment on team-mates and how they played. They are never going to be open about what they really think

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭leonard7

Aidric wrote: »
    I only saw his half time contribution. Sounded very assured and concise to me.

during the game it took him about 2 mins to spit out a sentence...like the guy and did well when he had time to think about what he was talking but during the game was stuttering all over the show

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭OldRio

The thing that gets me is this. It is the BBC not the English Broadcasting Corporation.
    The Welsh and Scots I know get mighty peed off by this.
    England first, second, third and the rest way down the list.

Agree with the comments about the radio commentators, far superior IMHO.

RTE TV rugby coverage needs a shake up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

OldRio wrote: »
    The thing that gets me is this. It is the BBC not the English Broadcasting Corporation.
    The Welsh and Scots I know get mighty peed off by this

No, its not. Thats why BBC Wales, BBC Scotland and BBC Northern Ireland all cover the Six Nations.
    If games clash, the corresponding BBC branch will show the relevant Six Nations game.

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭MrDerp

RTE for hi-jinks studio coverage, BBC for the match. During 6n time I've typically spent my entire Friday at work reading any piece of analysis I can find, so I don't need to hear the pundits annoying me while I build myself up for kickoff.

Watching the others give Hooky a stroke, before and after, is all part of the match day for me.

JustinDee wrote: »
    No, its not. Thats why BBC Wales, BBC Scotland and BBC Northern Ireland all cover the Six Nations.
    If games clash, the corresponding BBC branch will show the relevant Six Nations game.

Games Clash ?????? When?
    Not sure what you mean.

Each game is a stand alone fixture.

Games Clash ?????? When?
    Not sure what you mean.

Only recently has this been the case.
    This is beside the point anyway. The BBC is the British Broadcasting Corporation. Not the "English" BC as you alluded. If that bugs some Scots, Welsh or Northern Irish then they should get their own TV channel and fund it with their own licence-fee revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

I don't like watchin Ireland games on the BBC, dunno why as their coverage is better imo. Everything else I watch on the beeb.

• Advertisement

This is beside the point anyway. The BBC is the British Broadcasting Corporation. Not the "English" BC as you alluded. If that bugs some Scots, Welsh or Northern Irish then they should get their own TV channel and fund it with their own licence-fee revenue.

'This is beside the point'
    Well you made the incorrect point about games clashing. Not me.

Indeed you are correct the BBC is the British Broadcasting Corporation.
    Which Includes Wales, Scotland and N. Ireland. Do you agree ???

The Welsh, Scots and N. Irish do contribute to the BBC through a licence fee.
    Maybe thats why some feel a little miffed.

'This is beside the point'
    Well you made the incorrect point about games clashing. Not me.

Indeed you are correct the BBC is the British Broadcasting Corporation.
    Which Includes Wales, Scotland and N. Ireland. Do you agree ???

The Welsh, Scots and N. Irish do contribute to the BBC through a licence fee.
    Maybe thats why some feel a little miffed.
    If their regional versions of BBC were to be funded purely by licence fee revenue in their own principalities, they would barely be able to run.
    If these people are miffed, they should take a look a little deeper at the alternative option which would be an underfunded TV station.
    "English BBC" indeed . . .

Politics.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

No Neil Francis & Matt Williams option? Foreshame. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

If their regional versions of BBC were to be funded purely by licence fee revenue in their own principalities, they would barely be able to run.
    If these people are miffed, they should take a look a little deeper at the alternative option which would be an underfunded TV station.
    "English BBC" indeed . . .

Your talking like the regions outside England are being funded by England and as such should be happy with having a TV station at all. They are part of the BBC the same as the main channels.

To draw a comparison you may as well say Connact fans can have no expectations when it comes to rugby as Munster, Leinster and Ulster are responsible for most of the provincial revenue for the IRFU. They should be happy to have a team at all never mind a decent one.

Is that what your getting at ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Games Clash ?????? When?
    Not sure what you mean.

Hasn't been a clash since Sky had the rights to England's home games, I'd say that's going back to 2002, 2003 maybe? Open to correction on this.

Edit; I watch the BBC but go to RTE for the punditry. Brian Moore is the best co-commentator I reckon and not completely one-eyed in favour of England, calls a spade a spade. I found it very hard to listen to Ralph Keyes on Saturday. (Flicked on to Scotland v France on RTE yesterday, heard George Hamiltion, flicked back very quickly. Good lord.)

totallegend wrote 'Hasn't been a clash since Sky had the rights to England's home games, I'd say that's going back to 2002, 2003 maybe? Open to correction on this.'

Thought it had been a while since there was a clash of fixtures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭For Paws

It does seem that some commentators and pundits on the BBC coverage take it as read that the England rugby is the 'home' team, unless where stated.
    You never get 2 Scots, or 2 Welsh in studio, except when they are specifically brought in to speak on behalf of their own nations.

It's understandable that when someone (even a Kiwi like Popey) says 'us' in the studio that we know he means Ireland. After all, who else is listening to RTE ?
    But when some guy on the BBC says 'us' he means England, as if no-one else in the world is watching the BBC coverage, EVEN in Wales !!

A mistake never made when Bill McLaren was commentating !

Sky are worse, all their regular UK pundits are former English players.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

The Ryle and Frankie show stunk the place out for the England vs Wales game. I had to switch over after they were scolding wales for their poor slow play when they were gridning up the pitch a man down, playing down the clock, ha ha, rubbish commentary. It was the winning of the match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Anything but Hook for me. He actually winds me up, I can't listen to him without wanting to put my boot through the TV.

• Advertisement

MungBean wrote: »
    Your talking like the regions outside England are being funded by England and as such should be happy with having a TV station at all. They are part of the BBC the same as the main channels.

To draw a comparison you may as well say Connact fans can have no expectations when it comes to rugby as Munster, Leinster and Ulster are responsible for most of the provincial revenue for the IRFU. They should be happy to have a team at all never mind a decent one.

Is that what your getting at ?

Nope, the poster was insinuating that some Scots and Welsh they knew were miffed that the "English Broadcasting Corporation" was biased when covering Scottish and Welsh games.
    I said their games' coverage is nothing like an "English Broadcasting Corporation" effort as there is no bias against them. Nothing to be "miffed" about at all. The alternative being BBC stations funded only by the licence-fee proportionate to their regions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭For Paws

Paparazzo wrote: »
    Anything but Hook for me. He actually winds me up, I can't listen to him without wanting to put my boot through the TV.

That's why he's there.

Nope, the poster was insinuating that some Scots and Welsh they knew were miffed that the "English Broadcasting Corporation" was biased when covering Scottish and Welsh games.
    I said their games' coverage is nothing like an "English Broadcasting Corporation" effort as there is no bias against them. Nothing to be "miffed" about at all. The alternative being BBC stations funded only by the licence-fee proportionate to their regions.

Well I lived in England for 30 odd years (Due to work)
    Married a welsh woman. I have many British friends and even the English ones would find the quote, regarding the coverage of Scotland and Wales 'no bias against them' laughable.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

No Neil Francis & Matt Williams option? Foreshame. :p

two old guys waffling amongst themselves

why does Francis have a constant smirk on his face?

Well I lived in England for 30 odd years (Due to work)
    Married a welsh woman. I have many British friends and even the English ones would find the quote, regarding the coverage of Scotland and Wales 'no bias against them' laughable.

Fire away with an example or two then. Its all very well in making a claim like that, but you'd really have to back it up.

Fire away with an example or two then. Its all very well in making a claim like that, but you'd really have to back it up.

If you want phone numbers you can have them.
    Just ask any Welshman or Scot. Any.
    Justin you obviously think, for some reason, that I'm lying.

I do not lie.
    Just passing on what I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭youreadthis

I do not lie.

Good avoid! 10/10

I do not lie.
    Relax. I see the same coverage too and it definitely isn't tilted. Would you complain about Woody's contributions when ireland play?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Generally I watch Ireland on RTE and England and Wales on BBC. For Scotland I'll check who's commentating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Relax. I see the same coverage too and it definitely isn't tilted. Would you complain about Woody's contributions when ireland play?

I personally don't think BBC are particularly biased, but they give England far more airtime than other countries. It's understandable to a point, as most watching will be English, but you have to feel for the British licence payers, not all of whom are English obviously.

Advertisement