Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slimming World

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Blinder

Another newbie joining in here

started reading this thread last saturday ( it's a long thread!!) joined my local SW group on monday.

I'm the classic yo-yo dieter. Or I was. Tried them all. Usually i'm good at losing weight, it's keeping it off that was always the problem. Hopefully SW will put an end to that.
    Have 2st to lose. Put it on over the last 2 years after losing it on WW. Mostly because my eating habits are awful. Wouldn't eat anything during the day and then just crap in the evening. With SW and the not using processed food I'm hoping that I'll finally get into a routine of having proper meals.
    Plan on doing the mushy peas curry tomorrow and freezing some for during the week, so that's a start!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Danniboo

Absolutely raging, did the scan bran challenge for 5 days, was having massive bowls of fruit and fat free yoghurt for brekkie, plenty of water, out running 4 days and stayed the same:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,194 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Probably the running you were doing causing water retention. If you don't regularly exercise then it'll take your body a few days to get used to this kind of exercise enough not to hold on to excess calories.

When you start working out like this your body will start storing fats and calories in anticipation for it's next workout. This could very easilly attribute to your maintain this week.

Ive been running the past month and upped my water intake last week because I was doing the scan bran, should have seen something

Danniboo wrote: »
    Ive been running the past month and upped my water intake last week because I was doing the scan bran, should have seen something

I wouldn't be surprised if it takes your body a good while to adapt to the exercise and increase your metabolism to keep up with it.

Don't worry you'll see results in a few weeks from now, don't let the small maintains or increases put you off or let you down.

I'm supposed to start a spinning class later today and I'm dreading it because I just know that it'll cause me to be up but at the same time I really need to work off some of the excess fat now that's hanging around after losing the weight in the first place.

Ideally to be perfectly honest with you I should have been working out as I was losing the weight but I didn't want to struggle with maintaining or being up every week as a consequence of doing the exercise.

Probably a bit silly of me in hindsight.

• Advertisement

Achilles wrote: »
    I wouldn't be surprised if it takes your body a good while to adapt to the exercise and increase your metabolism to keep up with it.

Don't worry you'll see results in a few weeks from now, don't let the small maintains or increases put you off or let you down.

I'm supposed to start a spinning class later today and I'm dreading it because I just know that it'll cause me to be up but at the same time I really need to work off some of the excess fat now that's hanging around after losing the weight in the first place.

Ideally to be perfectly honest with you I should have been working out as I was losing the weight but I didn't want to struggle with maintaining or being up every week as a consequence of doing the exercise.

Probably a bit silly of me in hindsight.

I'm not convinced. Even with all of the above I should have seen something, I have been on cough medicine which can add 7 syns a day, so say that didn't help. There's people losing 5lbs after doing the scan bran for just 3 days.

Danniboo wrote: »
    I'm not convinced. Even with all of the above I should have seen something, I have been on cough medicine which can add 7 syns a day, so say that didn't help. There's people losing 5lbs after doing the scan bran for just 3 days.

Your body is unique though and not like everybody's elses. Everyone is the same.

I've had weeks where I've been good good good but still seen gaines for a week or two.

It just happens, please try and not let it get you down. I've seen you post here on and off for the past few weeks and I know that you've worked very hard.

You should be proud of all you have achieved so far. Trust me from experience that beating yourself up isn't the answer and will only make you feel rotten.

Onwards and upwards!

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭clumsyklutz

Hi all, in the same boat as all of you, have been dieting on my own without any help since the end of April and have only lost 1st 4lbs, still have another two and a half to go to get to my goal of a size 12. Is Slimming World really worth the money or is it like Unislim/WW where you put on the weight as soon as you stop going?

Hi all, in the same boat as all of you, have been dieting on my own without any help since the end of April and have only lost 1st 4lbs, still have another two and a half to go to get to my goal of a size 12. Is Slimming World really worth the money or is it like Unislim/WW where you put on the weight as soon as you stop going?

It depends on how disciplined you are to be perfectly honest with you. I feel that personally Slimming World gives you a better idea as to what a balanced diet is supposed to look like.

It's common sense really in the sense that you should be having one third greens with all of your meals and you can eat whatever you like in moderation.

If you managed to train yourself to be disciplined enough then you probably could come off it and maintain but don't forget that when you do get to your target weight and you manage to maintain it then going to group is free so when I get there myself personally I'll keep going for the encouragement and weekly weigh in.

Plus it's always nice to be around people that have a similar struggle to work through and that can sympathise with you. Sharing recipes is always good too!

My fiancé has tried the likes of Unislim and Weight Watchers in the past and they've never really worked for her at all or like you've said once you're out of it, it didn't actually teach you how to eat properly in the first place so you just pile it all back on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Slimming World to me isn't a diet, it's a way of life. I'll bring with me what I've learnt through the rest of my life as this is just how I live now.

• Advertisement

It depends on how disciplined you are to be perfectly honest with you. I feel that personally Slimming World gives you a better idea as to what a balanced diet is supposed to look like.

It's common sense really in the sense that you should be having one third greens with all of your meals and you can eat whatever you like in moderation.

If you managed to train yourself to be disciplined enough then you probably could come off it and maintain but don't forget that when you do get to your target weight and you manage to maintain it then going to group is free so when I get there myself personally I'll keep going for the encouragement and weekly weigh in.

Plus it's always nice to be around people that have a similar struggle to work through and that can sympathise with you. Sharing recipes is always good too!

My fiancé has tried the likes of Unislim and Weight Watchers in the past and they've never really worked for her at all or like you've said once you're out of it, it didn't actually teach you how to eat properly in the first place so you just pile it all back on.

Think I might just sign myself up then :). I've always gotten great recipes from my mam/dad (dad works in professional sports - I know I should be ashamed to be this unfit :P) like home made chicken curry (healthy) and lots of others but snacking is my problem - that and the fact that I don't like cooking two seperate dinners as himself doesn't eat most dairy products or vegetables (unless you count potatoes in chip form!! )

Is it expensive to sign up? I remember a friend telling me there was an initial sign up fee?

Think I might just sign myself up then :). I've always gotten great recipes from my mam/dad (dad works in professional sports - I know I should be ashamed to be this unfit :P) like home made chicken curry (healthy) and lots of others but snacking is my problem - that and the fact that I don't like cooking two seperate dinners as himself doesn't eat most dairy products or vegetables (unless you count potatoes in chip form!! )

Is it expensive to sign up? I remember a friend telling me there was an initial sign up fee?

€9 sign up fee and regular class is €9 so your first class with be €18, the rest will be €9.

€9 sign up fee and regular class is €9 so your first class with be €18, the rest will be €9.

Ah that's not too bad, I think there's a few in my area this evening, wouldn't be any harm to check them out

Ah that's not too bad, I think there's a few in my area this evening, wouldn't be any harm to check them out

What area are you in if you don't mind me asking?

What area are you in if you don't mind me asking?

I'm in the Dublin 11/9 area Ballymun/Finglas

I'm in the Dublin 11/9 area Ballymun/Finglas

Ahh ok nowhere near any of our groups so. Never mind then!

Good luck with your first day. It is a lot to take in to be fair but don't expect to understand it all straight away, you'll get the hang of it after a few weeks.

Your body is unique though and not like everybody's elses. Everyone is the same.

I've had weeks where I've been good good good but still seen gaines for a week or two.

It just happens, please try and not let it get you down. I've seen you post here on and off for the past few weeks and I know that you've worked very hard.

You should be proud of all you have achieved so far. Trust me from experience that beating yourself up isn't the answer and will only make you feel rotten.

Onwards and upwards!

I'm not beating myself up, just annoyed after all the hard work I put in. My consultant reckons the cough medicine wouldn't help.

Don't worry i'm not qutting any time soon;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

Is Slimming World really worth the money or is it like Unislim/WW where you put on the weight as soon as you stop going?

If you stop following Slimming World or any other plan, and start eating the same as you were before (ie eating the way that made you gain weight in the first place) then yes you will gain the weight back.

Magenta wrote: »
    If you stop following Slimming World or any other plan, and start eating the same as you were before (ie eating the way that made you gain weight in the first place) then yes you will gain the weight back.

Also, it is different to Unislim or WW. If your planning on whats going to happen when you leave, that's a problem right there. Most people see it as a lifestyle change, a way of eating for life as oppose to something to do for a while to lose the weight then leave. Even if your physically not in group, most members are mentally still on the plan and eating the SW way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 GreenGables

Magenta wrote: »

So the real trick is, not to eat as you were before. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sunshine and showers

Anyone know where would be the best group for Smithfield, Dublin 7? I heard they were starting new groups soon around the Quays.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭miss choc

The thing with these groups is that they are a lifestyle change it shouldnt be a quick fix lose your weight, get into that dress and you can start eating what you want again because you are the weight you want you are only fooling yourself. I just became a target member last Monday :) and even though I can have extra HEX a and b's and can got a bit above I will still be careful and I will also need to go to the meetings as if I lapse I will be back to the way of was miserable and out of pocket I have lovely clothes now and I dont want to undo what took me a year to fix. If anything SW has taught me how to eat better ie less convenience foods, more home cooking, more fruit n veg and less takeaways but still enjoying my treats and carbs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Ive been in target since june. The 4 stone is still off...and down the 3lbs im allowed before they charge me again. A few extra syns are sneaking their way in. ..but its nothing like before. Im still on skimmed milk...passata based sauces and my weetabix and banana brekkie. Still doing my 1/3 super free. .still do my running which had improved to the point I've swapped one of my 5k runs for a 9k run.

I know its only been 3 months so its still early days, but the fact that the basics are so ingrained in my brain now that they're just automatic is a good sign.

I feel great now...I feel confident and good about myself and all the work I did. I hope I never go back to what I was...buy hopefully the fact that sw doesn't feel like a diet just a change of lifestyle will be the key.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭miss choc

Hopefully this now is a change for life before my wedding 3 yrs ago I did Weightwatchers and lost a lot of weight once I got married and had the big honeymoon I went mad eating I felt I could relax on holidays and settled into married life. The weight slowly crept up and I was in denial. Hopefully now on SW I can keep my target give or take the odd special occasions when we all have to splurge ie Xmas, Weddings, birthdays, Hens and holidays. But my mindset is changed re food so hopefully I am conditioned to eat the sw way now :)

Stayed the same again this week, so strange. My class leader even said it's strange, 3 weeks running. It's harder to maintain that long than to fluctuate. Don't get it.

Got invited to dinner by a friend on Saturday. Couldn't be rude and say no...

He's going out with an Italian lady who cooked a fully Mediterranean type meal, loaded with olive oil and cheese.

It was gorgeous but dreading what it's done to me this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭coughdrops

Hi

I hope it's ok to jump on board here.

I joined SW last week, have my first w/i tonight. I've had good results with it before, but slipped back into bad habits. However, I am motivated again, so hoping to get back on track.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Blinder

coughdrops wrote: »
    Hi

I hope it's ok to jump on board here.

I joined SW last week, have my first w/i tonight. I've had good results with it before, but slipped back into bad habits. However, I am motivated again, so hoping to get back on track.

Best of luck with your WI tonight!

I was down 6lbs at w/i. Delighted!!

CD

• Advertisement

Do any of you have go-to snacks/munchies that are SW friendly? We're fond of our Friday night crisps in front of the TV, so want to break that habit. I'm going to cut up some peppers, and fruit, and might do some SW chips and curry sauce to dip.

Although we should be capable of watching TV without eating :-D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement