Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Am i entitled to this day back?

Options
  • 07-01-2011 9:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭

Hi All

quick question, just before christmas, during all the snow, i had a days annual leave booked, however while in work the day before the MD decided that the office was going to be closed the following day due to weather conditions, i asked if i would be entitled to get this days hols back seeing office was closed and my boss said to discuss it with him in the new year.
    i had chat with him today and he told me i wont be getting the day back , despite everyone else getting it as a 'snow day'
    so its a case of tough sh1t for me, seeing i had that day booked of.

what would happen in your company?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

I wouldn't think you're entitled to it back, it would have a good will thing as I doubt there is any policy in place to cover that eventuality..
    You had your day booked off, you got it off so you're not at any disadvantage from the situation...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

yeah i still got my day of, guess im just annoyed that everyone else effectivley got a extra paid day of than me!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,668 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

It's unfair. But life is unfair sometimes.

You could be annoyed about it and let it spoil your relationship with your manager/colleagues. You could get so annoyed that you go an get another job, which may be better, or worse, than the one you're in now.

Or you could chalk it up to the you-win-some-you-lose-some school of life, and let it go.

Your call.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

Did they actually get paid for the day off though? I know in our place people that didn't make it to work because of the snow didn't get paid

Did they actually get paid for the day off though? I know in our place people that didn't make it to work because of the snow didn't get paid

yes the did get paid for it, coz management made a decision to close the office for the day so was they didnt have the option to come in.

the previous week when staff couldnt come to work they were made take the days from next years holidays, unpaid day wasnt a option

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

If the boss told you the office would be closed anyway on the day you had booked an A/L before the a/l was due to be taken then you just cancel the A/l as it wouldnt have been needed. You should have cancelled it before the office closed if you hadnt done so.
    If the office closed on a day you took an A/L then its just unlucky on your part .

If the boss told you the office would be closed anyway on the day you had booked an A/L before the a/l was due to be taken then you just cancel the A/l as it wouldnt have been needed. You should have cancelled it before the office closed if you hadnt done so.
    If the office closed on a day you took an A/L then its just unlucky on your part .

as soon as i found out the office would be closed, i went to my manager and said it to him that i had it booked as AL and would i get it back & he said he would speak to HR in new year and let me know, i went to HR myself and asked them and they said the wud be recommending that i get it back but at the end of the day it was my manager that had the final say regardless of what the advised.:mad:

Annual leave is given at the discretion of the managment but in this case you didnt take the A/L and you informed them that you didnt need it so you should still have the same number of holidays left before the so called snow day. If you have an union then get onto them as it shouldnt be an issue like what your company is doing with H/R. Do you have a clocking in system or does someone do the time sheets?

Annual leave is given at the discretion of the managment but in this case you didnt take the A/L and you informed them that you didnt need it so you should still have the same number of holidays left before the so called snow day. If you have an union then get onto them as it shouldnt be an issue like what your company is doing with H/R. Do you have a clocking in system or does someone do the time sheets?

dont have union, dont clock in and dont sign timesheets :(
    work in a office and all non attendance and AL is noted by the wages dept , ive spoke to HR again and they said there is nothing the can do as final decision lies with my manager and they cant (wont) overrule him:mad:

You didnt take a days holiday and informed your manager the day before . If you had taken the day off and then found out the office was closed anyway then you wouldnt have a case. They cant close the office and put you down as taking a holiday without doing the same for everyone else which would have been fairer. To take an A/L you have to be away from your work when your work place is open.
    In a nutshell, you should still have the same number of holidays left before the snow day unless they asked everyone to take an A/L for it.

• Advertisement

messrs wrote: »
    dont have union, dont clock in and dont sign timesheets :(
    work in a office and all non attendance and AL is noted by the wages dept , ive spoke to HR again and they said there is nothing the can do as final decision lies with my manager and they cant (wont) overrule him:mad:

It would be very petty on behalf of the manager if he informed them that you was on holidays on the snow day.

Advertisement