Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Why I might ditch the iPhone for Android...

• 27-08-2010 12:58pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

About to get an iPhone 4 - but after watching this I'm considering an Android phone. Not knowing anything about Android phones really, any suggestions as to which ones I should be looking at??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

HTC Desire is generally considered to be best of the bunch today, closely followed by the Samsung Galaxy S. Pop into the Android forum for the full story. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,459 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Zascar wrote: »

About to get an iPhone 4 - but after watching this I'm considering an Android phone. Not knowing anything about Android phones really, any suggestions as to which ones I should be looking at??

Be aware that google voice hasn't been rolled out in ireland yet. It's worth leaving ios for the notification system alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cojomo2

Be aware that google voice hasn't been rolled out in ireland yet. It's worth leaving ios for the notification system alone.

well its available in the market place, just downloaded it now...although I haven't tried it yet.

cojomo2 wrote: »
    well its available in the market place, just downloaded it now...although I haven't tried it yet.

You didn't read the description that said "currently US only" then.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Why would essentially what is a voice recognition app be restricted to US only?

Why does the iPhone not have the same abilities??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭gleep

because it's cool not to like iphones. I ain't no sheep!:P

You didn't read the description that said "currently US only" then.

no, you didn't read the description. It says''voice actoins is only available in US English for now''
    :P

should work fine..

• Registered Users Posts: 27,320 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Recently replaced my 3GS with a Samsung Galaxy S and I'm really glad I did. It's just a much nicer machine, with so many minor improvements over the iPhone that it made it worth it for me. It's a much better internet device too and while I was tempted by the Desire and spent some time playing about with it, I'd recommend the Galaxy S.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

no, you didn't read the description. It says''voice actoins is only available in US English for now''
    :P

should work fine..

the voice recognition is out...ive been using it for quite a while now...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

gleep wrote: »

because it's cool not to like iphones. I ain't no sheep!:P
    No not at all actually - if the iPhone could do the same thing I'd be much happier. The iPhone is not perfect but I like it. I'm intrigued by the other abilities of the Android phones but don't know much about them...

• Advertisement

Does it work well? Even with a Roscommon accent!?:D

Does it work well? Even with a Roscommon accent!?:D

well not really :D it does a grand job on a few words but if i try a sentence it mocks it up :D:D
    Zascar wrote: »
    No not at all actually - if the iPhone could do the same thing I'd be much happier. The iPhone is not perfect but I like it. I'm intrigued by the other abilities of the Android phones but don't know much about them...

well the reason android picked up so much in the US cause of carrier advertisements of what android could do...theres million of people that dont know what android could do...hence why they all run to steve jobs arms thinking its the only decent phone

Ah apologies. I'm confused. What can you use it to do so? Last time I tried using it it refused to do anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Impressive, damn impressive.

/Apple fanboy

Ah apologies. I'm confused. What can you use it to do so? Last time I tried using it it refused to do anything.

well i hate texting so i speak slowly into the phone for it to write the message for me :D

though its annoying that you have to have data connection to use it...wish they could make a compromise to download their voice recognition software onto your phone so you wouldnt have to need data

Ah apologies. I'm confused.
    No problem.
    :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

well i hate texting so i speak slowly into the phone for it to write the message for me :D

though its annoying that you have to have data connection to use it...wish they could make a compromise to download their voice recognition software onto your phone so you wouldnt have to need data

Yeah, that would be a handy option and would speed it up a little.. I wonder how large a download/install it would be though...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,455 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Google Voice is not the same as Voice Actions for Android. Google Voice is a telecommunications service, allowing you to make and receive calls, nothing to do with Android. Voice Actions is an app for Android phones, allowing you to control the phone. Completely different

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and dark mode). Now available through the extension stores

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭donkey balls

28064212 wrote: »
    Google Voice is not the same as Voice Actions for Android. Google Voice is a telecommunications service, allowing you to make and receive calls, nothing to do with Android. Voice Actions is an app for Android phones, allowing you to control the phone. Completely different

i have voice activation/commands on my N97 have to say it's handy

• Registered Users Posts: 18,904 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

moved to android forum.

Random wrote: »
    moved to android forum.

you should move it to iPhone forum haha would be funny :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

you should move it to iPhone forum haha would be funny :D

You should move it to the Win Mo forum.......oh wait :D

Inquitus wrote: »
    You should move it to the Win Mo forum.......oh wait :D

dont get cheeky with me...its not like iPhone has its own forum? "Apple Media Devices LMAO

and lmao :) im running android and win mo? so forum for that please?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

In some instances it does but try telling it to navigate to anywhere that doesn't have an American sounding name and it cannot figure it out.
    We'd better rename Dun laoighre back to its former colonial name

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭joanofarc

hi there, i've got a non rooted htc desire on 2.1 can i get this voice option? what do i need to look for in market?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Impressive, damn impressive.

/Apple fanboy

Have you tried the free Vlingo App?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

As were the Ads for Dragon Dictate, I bought that for my laptop but it never worked like the in the ad.

Two reasons for that, one needs to teach the device what your sounds mean, and in practice the human voice changes a lot even throughout a day and so forth.

Secondly the ads are all in the studio, probably a sound studio, so no other noise is being interpreted by the device ~ this is a major stumbling block and it's probably the main reason we don't talk to computers.

Technology to overcome all these issues is available, but it's very expensive and heavy on hardware. Not saying one, with the correct accent can't get good results form apps like that in the video, in general terms the device will pick up background sounds and run with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭jeromeof

It a cool demo, I tried it on a Desire and can be a great demo for people to show people what Android can do especially the fact that other applications can add their own commands to it. But in reality doesn't work as seamless as it should to use it everyday, you need to start talking like a "computer".:D

It should be pointed out in the interests of fairness, that this type of capability is already available on the iPhone. Voice control has been available since the 3GS: http://atmac.org/iphone-voice-commands, the Google App has voice activated search and the dragon dictation app while not fully integrate allows voice messages to be sent as sms, email, tweet and even onto facebook.

But the Android implementation is better given it is a single interface and the openness to allow third party commands will ultimately give it the edge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

I've got a rooted Desire and a custom ROM that came with Google Voice Actions (most of them do), so I'm not sure what the availability is on an out-of-the-box phone.

If you have it, go into settings and make sure you're set to English (Generic) or English (US). Voice actions should start to work then... but I suspect it does still prefer a US accent. Short commands work well, in my experience. I use it all the time for quick web searches or to bring up a contact or something. It's not as fantastic as it looks it that video (with our accents, anyway) but it's still super useful for what it does do.

Other things that would keep me firmly on Android (I switched from 3GS):

- Notification system. iOS basically just doesn't have one.

- Background apps. iOS4 has this but they've been around forever on Android and *just work*.

- WiFi hotspot on Android 2.2. Just brilliant. I'm actually, honestly, sat right now in a café with my phone in my pocket serving up a personal wifi network to my MacBook in front of me. No wires, no hacks, no extra software... just a wifi network. BRILLIANT.

- Widgets. Using iOS you might wonder what the fuss is about. Use a few widgets for a week and you won't want to go back. I can see and interact with a whole load of information without having to open an app.

- Apps like 'Tasker'. Lets you automate actions (pretty much anything you could imagine the phone could do) based on any number of rules, like where you are, the time of day, state of the phone (battery maybe), actions you perform (turn on GPS when I open maps, turn off when you exit)... possibilities are pretty endless.

- Openness. There's not the same restrictions in the system or the APIs as there is with iOS. Any of my apps can talk to any others. I can replace the built in mail app, or the sms app, or the browser or indeed the phone app if I want to.

- Syncing. Don't think I've plugged my phone into a computer for anything other than charging in over a month. Everything syncs over the air, usually with Google services. And setting up an FTP server on the phone for wirelessly transferring music or other media is possible too.

- Hacking / modding. Not for everyone but if you've got half a mind to, it's really not difficult to "root" the phone and install custom roms. World of possibilities.

- It feels like a computer in your pocket. Looking back, iPhone felt like a phone with (often quite fancy) "apps". Android feels like a powerful little computer with a phone built-in.

Nothing's totally perfect though... some things which might annoy you....

- Phone storage. Desire comes with 512mb onboard and usually a 2 or 4gb SD card. Storing any apps on the SD card is a new feature on 2.2 and not a lot of apps support it yet... you will at some stage be cursing the thing for its "low space" warning. You can beat this though, if you root the phone there are methods for installing any and all apps to the card. And it should become less of an issue as more developers update for 2.2.

- Battery life. Some people have a hard time with this, I find it alright tbh. Probably similar to iPhone... rule of thumb: plug it in every night.

- Touchscreen. It's not *quite* as lovely and smooth as iPhone's. But it is completely fit for purpose and you get over it in no time.

- Apps. I'm honestly not sure if this is a plus or a negative. iPhone has more apps, and has fancier apps. It's easier to shove an iPhone in someones face and impress them with the latest amazingly designed app interface... but I don't actually miss any of them. And Android apps, in my experience, tend to be more *functional*, even if they don't look quite as shiny.

- App market. Separate to above, not only are there less apps to begin with... the app market is also restricted in Ireland. It's not possible to browse or buy paid apps. This and the phone storage issue are the two biggest negatives with Android. Again though... not difficult to get past this with a rooted phone if you want to.

Taking everything into account, best phone I've owned by a country mile.

Advertisement